Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Pre-Loaded Toshiba Software: Should I remove it?

(!)

Member with 123 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Jun-2011, 04:51 AM #1
Pre-Loaded Toshiba Software: Should I remove it?
I have a Toshiba NB505 netbook. I need all the space and performance I can get, and it seems like I don't use ANY of these pre-installed Toshiba programs:

Toshiba Disc Creator
Toshiba Eco Utility (Power saver, I do use)
Toshiba Flash Card Reader Utility (I have no idea)
Toshiba Hardware Setup
Toshiba HDD/SDD alert
Toshiba Media Controller
Toshiba Quality Application
Toshiba Recovery Media Creator
Toshiba ReelTime
Toshiba Service Station
Toshiba Supervisor Password
Toshiba Value Added Package
Toshiba Webcam Software ( I do use )

Should I remove any of these? Are they okay and safe to remove? If so, which ones should I keep?
Thanks.
Member with 43 posts.

Experience: Intermediate++
15-Jun-2011, 05:00 AM #2
You should be able to remove any Toshiba branded applications you have no plans to use without any adverse side-effects. Many (but not necessarily all) of the things those programs do can be accomplished with standard Windows features/functions. It would be a good idea to double check what each thing on the list does before you remove it, just in case.

Although, as far as performance goes, unless these things are running in the background, you're not likely to get any performance gains from uninstalling them, just a little more space on the HDD.
Member with 123 posts.

15-Jun-2011, 05:04 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolweevil View Post
You should be able to remove any Toshiba branded applications you have no plans to use without any adverse side-effects. Many (but not necessarily all) of the things those programs do can be accomplished with standard Windows features/functions. It would be a good idea to double check what each thing on the list does before you remove it, just in case.

Although, as far as performance goes, unless these things are running in the background, you're not likely to get any performance gains from uninstalling them, just a little more space on the HDD.
Well I have never seen any of these programs in use, but I will definitely look into the ones that I don't know about to see if it's okay to uninstall them.
I know they won't give me much of a performance boost, but, why keep something there that I never use? I need all the space I can get on this little PC, ya know?

Thank you for your quick response.
Member with 547 posts.

15-Jun-2011, 08:53 PM #4
I always run pc decrapifier on a new pc

http://majorgeeks.com/PC_De-Crapifier_d5223.html
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
15-Jun-2011, 09:05 PM #5
Take a good look at them. They don't really use much space and many I have found to be very useful. At least as far as the "junk" that usually comes with new machines, I haven't found the Toshiba add-ons to be very intrusive. The "flash-card" thing is their new Help system set up in a new and original way, and really has nothing to do with flash cards as you probably think of them.

When I installed 7 on my machine, I found myself re-installing most of the Toshiba programs before I was done since they really were useful.

Fact is, if removing those items gives you needed space, you need a bigger drive.
Member with 123 posts.

15-Jun-2011, 10:52 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbd21 View Post
I always run pc decrapifier on a new pc

http://majorgeeks.com/PC_De-Crapifier_d5223.html
Thank you for this, I used it and it removed a lot of the stuff I was hoping to remove.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,426 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jun-2011, 11:29 AM #7
From what I can determine, the Toshiba Mini NB505 netbook comes with Windows 7 Starter Edition, 1 GB of RAM, and a 250 GB hard drive.

With a 250 GB hard drive, you shouldn't have a problem at all with lack of storage space, unless you load it with video clips, sound clips, etc..

It supports up to 2 GB of RAM, but I believe you first need to upgrade it to Windows 7 Home Premium.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!