Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PC Tune-Up Access violation

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
27-Nov-2011, 01:58 PM #1
PC Tune-Up Access violation
I bought Zone Alarm Extreme Security (ver. 10.0.250.000) a couple months ago, and a program called PC Tune-Up by Large Software came with it.

For the first month, PC Tune-Up worked perfectly. Then, I started getting this error message of 'Access violation at address 04AA0000. Write of address 04AA0000.'. I did a little searching online to see if I could fix it, then got distracted and forgot about it until today.

After re-installing the program, I got the same error message, did another search online, and ran across a solution about re-installing DirectX, something about switching DirectX to input/output, and something else. I only got as far as re-installing DirectX and am now getting two error messages.

1st error msg, the word 'Pctuneup' on the upper left corner of the box:

Access violation at address 04960000. Write of address 04960000.

2nd error msg, 'Application Error' at the upper left corner of the box:

Except EAccessViolation in module PCTuneUp.exe at 04A9F000. Access Violation at address 04AA0000. Write of address 04AA0000.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8106 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -234 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 700301 MB, Free - 624994 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0YH79Y
Antivirus: ZoneAlarm Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

I'd really like to get this program working again, because it was part of the program package I paid for. Also, sorry if I gave too MUCH info. I wasn't sure how much I should provide, so I chose to err on the side of caution, so to speak.

Thank you in advance!
Computer Specs
Member with 32,634 posts.

27-Nov-2011, 02:03 PM #2
If i were you i would put the whole program in the recycle bin

programs like this do more harm than good
just my opinion
taken from a comment
Quote:
Save your money. The software sucks and so does the customer service. This software will make your computer run worse than it ever has. What a joke. I need to spend more money to clean up what this software has ruined! Very un happy!
http://download.cnet.com/PC-Tune-Up/...-10645371.html
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2011, 02:06 PM #3
Is there any other pc tuneup-type program that you would recommend? Preferrably one that has a 30 day trial period before I have to pay for it, since Christmas is next month....
Computer Specs

27-Nov-2011, 02:08 PM #4
I ask because I end up doing a lot of downloading, installing, deleting of files, and uninstalling programs (like AOL, which is a damned parasite, yet I keep re-installing the dang thing every couple months on whatever computer I have, against my better judgement) and I've been told by a LOT of people that that can start causing problems with the registry.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Nov-2011, 08:15 PM #5
Most people will tell you that there are no "Tune up" programs worth a cent. The tools built-in to Win7 are all you need, along with a dose of common sense.
Add a good AV program Like MSE and an anti-Spyware program like SAS and you're good to go.
http://www.superantispyware.com/
https://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
27-Nov-2011, 08:47 PM #6
The "problems with the registry" are fantasies created by people who sell tune-up programs and propagated by self-appointed computer "experts" that think they discovered something new. "Cleaning" the registry is not ever needed, almost always leads to problems, and entries left behind don't slow anything down any more than the presence of people at the neighboring table in a restaurant make you eat more slowly. They are unrelated. If you had to sort through all the tables in the place to get to yours, that would slow things down. But you don't. Both you and the registry go directly to their destinations.

Keep the bugs away, make sure that defragging is scheduled in Scheduled Tasks, stay away from dangerous sites, and make a complete system backup for when your hard drive dies.

I don't clean mine. I have 690 programs installed now and that is a fraction of what I installed and uninstalled in the last year. Every program I recommend has been tried.

Since I got my very first machine, far and away the most problems I have had with all of them have been self-induced by "tweaking" and "cleaning" programs. After years of just taking them apart, I hope now to only put them back together.

Last edited by Elvandil; 27-Nov-2011 at 08:57 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
access violation, pc tune-up

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!