Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

total computer freezes are starting to make me worry about my computers integrity

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Feb-2012, 05:59 PM #1
total computer freezes are starting to make me worry about my computers integrity
It all started recently, as a little bug had been developed while I play Skyrim. Most of my play sessions now end with me trying to quicksave, which causes my computer to go into a serious meltdown freeze where no keyboard or mouse input works. I can't even change my numlock of capslock, which is why I know it is totally frozen. Also, my speakers will start to make a sound not unlike dubstep, which is very strange. The only way to get it out of this state is by physically removing the electric cable from the wall.

I had come to accept this and decided next time I would just play on windowed mode, but today after watching a short Youtube video, my cursor froze in place and I just thought it was Firefox crapping out on me again. However, I tried to change my numlock setting and lo and behold, it was frozen on. It didn't play dubstep this time, most likely because the speakers weren't playing any sounds.

All this has caused me to worry if the repeated hard resets had been affecting the insides of my computer, a completely plausible possibility due to the fact that I built it myself and it isn't what I would call "infallible" to errors of this kind. The only hardware difference between me having these errors and before when I had never experienced them was that I had installed two new sticks of RAM. I don't see how that could cause this, but it is the only noticeable difference. Any help on this issue is appreciated!
Member with 2,536 posts.

28-Feb-2012, 07:54 AM #2
RAM modules can be faulty even from new, or develop faults quickly especially if they are a cheaper, generic brand instead of more expensive, well-known and trusted brands. They can even be free from faults but that particular brand just isn't 100% compatible with your PC, or, when adding more RAM, it doesn't get along with other brands of RAM modules you already have in it.

You can test the RAM modules with Memtest86:
http://www.memtest.org/

To run the test you need to create a CD from the downloaded Memtest86 ISO file, which you can do with burning software that can burn ISO images to a CD (eg Nero), or use IMGBurn from here: http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

When you've made the CD, boot your PC from it to start the Memtest86 utility. The more passes you make on the RAM (ie the more times you run the test on the RAM) the more accurate the reported results will be.

Memtest86 can only tell you if a RAM module is faulty, it can't tell you if there's a compatibility issue with the modules themselves.
Suspected RAM compatibility issues can only be cured by trial and error (basically trying different brands until Windows is stable).

Last edited by pip22; 28-Feb-2012 at 08:00 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

03-Mar-2012, 11:41 PM #3
sorry for getting back to you so late, i ran memtest and got 0 errors, meanwhile the crash has continued to occur by doing simple things like playing Minecraft and trying to go fullscreen in a youtube video. If anybody else has any suggestions, at least to find out what part of my machine is causing it so i know what to replace, I would really appreciate it!
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

05-Mar-2012, 07:25 PM #4
This is getting out of hand, my computer just crashed after starting minecraft. not playing minecraft for a few hours, not playing skyrim. STARTING. MINECRAFT. this is clearly getting worse, so if anyone could refer me to a hardware debugger, or a log program so i can know what failed, please do, this is becoming ridiculous!
Computer Specs
Member with 8,450 posts.

05-Mar-2012, 10:18 PM #5
I'd run chkdsk /r, and check for overheating.
Look in Event Viewer, System and Application for critical errors.
Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

05-Mar-2012, 10:39 PM #6
i've had known overheating problems for the duration of my computers life, but this is a very recent and unique issue. short of hardware degredation over time, or the inclusion of new RAM making my computer hotter, that isn't the problem.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dubstep, error, freeze, hard reset

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!