Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How Can I Backup Files Without Overwriting Newer Ones?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Mar-2012, 09:44 PM #1
Question How Can I Backup Files Without Overwriting Newer Ones?
I'm trying to backup my files by copying them from my hard drive and pasting them onto an external hard drive. As a rule I'd like to keep only the newer files.

When Windows finds two files with the same name it asks me if I want to copy over the file in the destination folder with the one I've copied, keep the file in the destination folder and don't overwrite it with the one I'm copying over, or rename one of them and keep both. This is all well and good but when I have hundreds of these conflicts it can be taxing.

There's a check box at the bottom of the dialog that reads "Do this for the next # conflicts". It sounds convenient, but there is a major flaw. If, for instance, I have a conflict where the file I'm copying is newer than the file in the destination folder, I would choose to "Copy and replace" for all conflicts. But the grave problem is that it makes a rule to always "Copy and replace" regardless of whether or not the file I'm copying over is newer than the one in the destination folder. In other words, if the file in the destination folder is newer than the file I'm copying, Windows will overwrite the newer file!

I don't want to overwrite a newer file in the destination folder with an older file from the folder I'm copying from.

How can I backup stuff more conveniently?
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Mar-2012, 10:16 PM #2
its better to do some 5S in your files,
sort according to use
systematize or arrange items in a way that they are easily visible and accessible
sweep, inspect refine and clean files
standardize create rules and procedures that could help in you in future
self discipline - always use 5s in your daily task

in this way, there is no need for special scripts to backup files.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

21-Mar-2012, 10:29 PM #3
If you're making a backup, then why would your backup file ever be newer than the original? If you're also making changes to files on the other drive, then you need synchronization software, not backup software. First decide what is you want to do, then get the right program.

I use Cobian for backups and SyncBack for synchronization.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
backup, conflicts, copying, overwrite

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!