Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Flash/YouTube Problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Mar-2012, 01:27 AM #1
Flash/YouTube Problems
Usually I watch YouTube videos which can range in lengths of 30 minutes up to 4 hours and I used to be able to watch them consecutively with minimal problems. I'd get the occasional slow down that would correct itself within a few seconds. However, within a month or so I started noticing some peculiarities... YouTube videos would now only load while I was playing the video and the loading would usually only be a few milliseconds ahead of the playing. This, however, did not cause any slow down for buffering strangely enough. Also, there would be random times when the player would load super-quick... as in, a 3 hour video would load within less than a minute.

This lasted for quite a while without any real problems. However, about a week ago, video playback started getting worse. I would be able to watch an hour and a half-long video no problem through but when I tried to view another video, it would have severe slow down and choppiness. Audio is always okay, but video was bad. To remedy this, I would clear my browser cache (I use Firefox for clarification) and use a program such as nCleaner to permanently erase any corrupted files and deleted files. For a while this worked, but as time went on, I would have to do this more and more just to watch a video correctly. Eventually, it got to the point where YouTube appeared like this (replace the "loading..." with a big black box). I decided to compress my hard drive and then thought of doing a defrag but my computer didn't have enough room for it even after compressing and deleting all useless files (just 1% shy of a defrag, too). Afterwards, YouTube appeared back to normal... sort of. I could play the long videos through like before but if I tried another similarly long video, it would be slow and choppy again.

So, a few days passed and I watched another video through (after clearing the cache and using nCleaner) but when I tried to view another video the next day, I was threatened yet again with that same messed up page. Also, this only seems to happen on YouTube... other websites are fine. But I noticed that Google Video shows nothing when I try to view a video. So, I tried to update my Flash Player... but every time I tried to install the update, the icon for it would disappear from my desktop and the installer would say it failed to install no matter what I did. I've uninstalled my Flash Player and tried to install the update yet again to no avail. This time, instead of the installer appearing, the desktop just disappeared.

My computer hasn't alerted me to any viruses and I've searched for answers to my problems but have found none that seem close to the ones I have. I'm not sure if I might have deleted something vital within my computer in my haste or what... I also don't understand the strange progressive bugs with YouTube. I have this sneaking suspicion that my problem is laughably easy to solve but I'm at a loss to remedy my problem.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,248 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Mar-2012, 08:51 AM #2
Try downloading the latest Adobe Flash Player version 11.2.202.228 HERE instead of the Adobe website. It's simpler and usually works flawlessly.

And by the way, do stay away from programs like nCleaner. You'll only mess up your OS beyond repair. The registry doesn't need to be cleaned.

Please read instructions and questions carefully, and reply in a timely manner... Thank you.

Why don't you just Google it?
If your problem is solved, please click on the Mark Solved button.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

30-Mar-2012, 10:05 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom010 View Post
And by the way, do stay away from programs like nCleaner. You'll only mess up your OS beyond repair. The registry doesn't need to be cleaned.
Well, I wish I would've known that 3 or so years ago... I've been using it for years now and have used it quite frequently since this problem started.

Also, I downloaded via your link and it DID download but YouTube still looks the same. I clicked on a video link and everything seems like it's working fine, but for whatever reason, the website still looks all strange.
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2012, 10:14 AM #4
Well, looking at that screenshot, I can tell it has nothing to do with Flash.

Make sure JavaScript is enabled in your browsers:

How to Enable JavaScript

If you have NoScript, disable it.

If still no luck,

Try using Google Public DNS.

Or, OpenDNS.
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2012, 11:10 AM #5
By the length of your response time, I'd say nothing has worked so far...

More things to try:

In Firefox, click Tools > Options... > General > Advanced > Network > Settings > delete proxy settings > select No proxy > click OK.

If no luck, you might want to consider reinstalling Firefox?

If that's still not it, you may have a corrupted profile.

Use the Destructive Method to delete settings and personal data:

Fixing Corrupted Profiles
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

30-Mar-2012, 11:30 AM #6
I think it might actually be because I deleted an old Javascript update in my haste. I tried to download the one I was sure was the old update but the website gives me some sign-up thing that looks like you need some personal information like mailing address and whatnot.

I've done something like this before though... I deleted something to free up space and I suddenly lost Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Paint.
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2012, 11:49 AM #7
What JavaScript update? Are you referring to Java Runtime Environment? They are two completely different scripting languages.

Get the latest Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0_31 HERE.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

30-Mar-2012, 12:02 PM #8
Yeah, I think I deleted "J2SE Runtime Environment Update 2". I have "J2SE Runtime Environment Update 6", "Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.0", "Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2_06" and "Java(TM) 6 Update 31".
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2012, 12:05 PM #9
You only need Java(TM) 6 Update 31. I'd uninstall the rest.

When you go here, does it say JavaScript is enabled in green?
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2012, 12:12 PM #10
If you're not having the same problems with Internet Explorer, I'd seriously consider deleting your Firefox profile.
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2012, 12:14 PM #11
When you go HERE, what does it say?

If Java is working, you will see a pink rectangle.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

30-Mar-2012, 12:24 PM #12
Quote:
When you go HERE, what does it say?

If Java is working, you will see a pink rectangle.
I get a pink rectangle with "Java Version 1.6.0_31 from Sun Microsystems Inc." inside.
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2012, 12:24 PM #13
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

30-Mar-2012, 12:29 PM #14
Quote:
Yes. Also, since I never use Internet Explorer, I decided to check it out after you mentioned it. YouTube comes up looking fine in IE. It does say I need to update my Flash Player though, I don't know why...
Computer Specs

30-Mar-2012, 12:31 PM #15
There's a version for IE and another for Firefox and other browsers.

HERE it is.

I'd reinstall Firefox or delete the profile.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
error, failure, flash, update, youtube

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!