Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: D-Link wireless adapter problems

(!)

Member with 531 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-May-2012, 11:43 AM #1
Solved: D-Link wireless adapter problems
I am trying to install a D-Link G510 AirPlus G wireless adapter in a desktop computer running Windows XP. All other requirements for CPU and memory are met and exceeded. The instructions are to install the software BEFORE installing the hardware. But when I insert the CD and it starts and I click on "Install Drivers" a box comes up with this message:
"Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of it's components?"
The only option it gives me is "Okay" or "Cancel". I am not trying to remove, I want to install. But I thought I would clear it and start fresh so I went to "Add/Remove programs" and it showed the D-Link program. I tried to remove it and it appears to go through the process but it does not remove it from the installed programs list.
I don't know what to do now.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 8,186 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-May-2012, 12:00 PM #2
Download and install the latest driver for the D-Link G510 AirPlus G from HERE.

Once you've done this, shut down the machine and connect the network adapter.

Boot back up and you should be able to connect.
Member with 531 posts.

13-May-2012, 01:07 PM #3
That worked great! Now, one more thing has me puzzled. When I boot up it is telling me that it has found new hardware that is a raid controller. I have not installed anything but the network adapter and I don't how to install the for the raid controller which I don't think I use anyway. I suspect this is something on the motherboard. And in Device Manager it now lists two network adapters. The second one (3Com Gigabit) must be built into the motherboard but is not wireless. Should that one now be disabled?
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 8,186 posts.

13-May-2012, 03:32 PM #4
Quote:
Now, one more thing has me puzzled. When I boot up it is telling me that it has found new hardware that is a raid controller.
You don't have your harddrives in any sort of RAID configuration?

Quote:
The second one (3Com Gigabit) must be built into the motherboard but is not wireless. Should that one now be disabled?
That is the LAN adapter for if you want to connect a CAT5 cable. Leave that enabled.
Member with 531 posts.

27-May-2012, 10:05 AM #5
That makes sense. Thank you.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,186 posts.

27-May-2012, 03:35 PM #6
You're welcome.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!