Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I want backup software that syncs multiple drives (local/external etc.)

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 67 posts.

Experience: Beginner
31-May-2012, 11:55 PM #1
I want backup software that syncs multiple drives (local/external etc.)
It just drives me crazy that I backup my computer and then organize my tags of music/media or delete something I no longer use just to see that the file is still in more than one place. This dilemma will be the rest of my life if I don't develop a system or stop backing up my drive. I NEED A MIRROR SYNC SYSTEM TO FOR MY HARD DRIVE.

The way I see it i can:

1. stop backing up my files
2. back them up but dont change a thing-- never organize or update tags. Which is impossible.

Something that can see the most updated files and have a mirror would be ideal. It can check against a database file and see whats been deleted. Also would have a restore date feature.
Computer Specs
Member with 67 posts.

Experience: Beginner
01-Jun-2012, 05:25 PM #2
Here is my other thread that closed automatically- http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-...ive-cloud.html.

If anyone has advice i'd appreciate it. Deleting all the info and storing it in 1 place is my only hope right now because I currently delete a file on 1 drive then manually go to another location and do that same.

My backup setup- Local HD>Backup HD1>Backup HD2

I have to manually do the same to all 3 locations. Imagine doing this to 20000 files.

Anyone have advice on how you manage to backup your data and update tags and not go crazy keeping track of files?

I can think of 2 ways:

1. Keep 1 copy only.
2. Delete original after it is backed up. Then recopy to laptop hard drive to use files without connecting to external and make sure I have 2 copies. This will become to tedious. If dropbox can do it, I know there is a way to keep track of the database.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Jun-2012, 03:10 PM #3
Not sure I understand exactly what you're saying but in general its pretty easy to synchronize backup, but as you say, when it comes to deleting, unless you do it in all backup destinations, the file will just repopulate back from one of the backups the next time one synchronizes.
The solution to that is to have TWO profiles; one is the normal synchronization backup as always, the second is the one-way synchronization, where every month or whatever schedule desired, deletions are manually made on the original data and the one-way synchronization profile is executed which deletes all non-matching files in the backup. Then so one never loses files to accidental deletions the true synchronization profile is executed day to day again.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
backup, drive, dropbox, software, software & hardware

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!