Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

A program that searches for updates installs and reboots

(!)

Maggz Maggz is offline Maggz has a Profile Picture
Member with 581 posts.

Experience: Advanced
01-Jun-2012, 04:53 PM #1
A program that searches for updates installs and reboots
Hi all,

I do a lot of consulting in my spare time to home users. I often end up getting their computers secure and ready for use. I was wondering if anyone knows of a program that is intelligent enough to scan the system and apply windows updates as needed performing reboots, and resuming installation.

Basically I am looking for a standalone utility that can perform these actions until windows is completely patched. I have seen proprietary solutions for this that companies like Geek Squad use and was wondering if there is a commercial solution that provides similar functionality.

I am not interested in a program that collects updates and downloads them for building into images or SXL, but a nice little app that connects to microsoft and downloads the needed updates and restarts as needed.

If anyone has heard of any such solution I would be most interested in hearing your feedback.

Thank you!
Trusted Advisor with 19,645 posts.

01-Jun-2012, 08:26 PM #2
Why not let Windows auto update itself. If it is enabled in the system settings it will take care of itself.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
01-Jun-2012, 11:22 PM #3
That's the easiest way. Only one reboot is needed no matter how many updates are installed at once.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,535 posts.

02-Jun-2012, 07:15 AM #4
Actually, Elvandil, that is not quite true since some updates install stuff that require further patches that are only identified once rebooted, and some patches do need to be installed separately as well.

I re-installed XP Pro for someone using an SP3 CD and it still needed several reboots after I installed AV and started the update cycle. What would be even better would be if MS removed all the petty licence agreements for each and every product. Yes I know it is better than it was, but it is still annoying to wake up and find it stuck at a licence screen with loads of updates waiting.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
02-Jun-2012, 08:16 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBurnett View Post
Actually, Elvandil, that is not quite true since some updates install stuff that require further patches that are only identified once rebooted, and some patches do need to be installed separately as well.

I re-installed XP Pro for someone using an SP3 CD and it still needed several reboots after I installed AV and started the update cycle. What would be even better would be if MS removed all the petty licence agreements for each and every product. Yes I know it is better than it was, but it is still annoying to wake up and find it stuck at a licence screen with loads of updates waiting.
I often install all of them in one batch. They get automatically sorted somehow and updated patches are installed while the older versions are not. At least that is what has happened to me so far. But I have not included any separate products that are optional and have license screens. The optional ones get separated out. I never even bother sorting or removing the older msu's because the installer takes care of all that and only installs the most recent versions of every file.

But what OS's are we talking here?

Last edited by Elvandil; 02-Jun-2012 at 08:32 AM..
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

02-Jun-2012, 08:40 AM #6
I was specifically talking about XP, but I have several Windows 7 PCs that I have updated and had to have several reboots.

To be fair, I don't leave it entirely to MS to apply updates as there are quite a few features that I prefer not to install so I get the notification and then deselect those I don't want - which is why I know about the reboots.

The OP didn't mention any version. IE update to 7/8 doesn't get sorted out. Also I think Malicious software removal tool, once used, asks for a licence every time.

In any case it solves the OP's question.
Member with 1 posts.

08-Jun-2012, 04:59 AM #7
Hi Maggz,
I think what you are looking for is WuInstall. It is a command line tool to manage Windows Updates and there are several options which helps you to specify how you want to do the updates. For example with the command /rebootcycle it will automatically install updates with several reboots in between. That means after one update and reboot was successful WuInstall will start again and continue with the updates.
Member with 581 posts.

08-Jun-2012, 08:23 AM #8
@lukas555 I will give that program a try. That sounds like what I would be looking for. Thank you!
Computer Specs

08-Jun-2012, 08:59 AM #9
You don't need it.
Member with 581 posts.

08-Jun-2012, 10:05 AM #10
Need and Want are two different things =P
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
automated, automatic, customizer, update, windows

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!