Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: New Outlook Express

(!)

Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,955 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Jun-2012, 01:07 PM #31
I've lost you. Is the "current inbox messages" the new folder you created and moved messages from your Inbox into? Is that what the messages are missing from?

For the compacting, it doesn't change the display of what you see in OE. If the message displays now, it will display after compacting. Compacting only removes the data for messages that are no longer in the folder you're compacting.
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

12-Jun-2012, 01:28 PM #32
yes, how do I get those back?
Computer Specs

12-Jun-2012, 02:41 PM #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg360 View Post
yes, how do I get those back?
OK. I was a little confused and wanted to be sure I understood what's going on before having you do anything.

So you created a new folder, moved the messages from the Inbox into it and they were displaying when the folder was opened, a DBX file is now in the Message Store named "current inbox messages.dbx (or whatever you named the new folder)", you did not do anything to the DBX (delete it or move it) but the messages are now not showing in OE.

That should not have happened and I really don't know why it happened.
I'm a little suspicious that there may have been a message with a problem that was in your Inbox and that problem transferred to the new DBX. Does the "current inbox messages.dbx" have any size to it?

To quickly get back the missing messages:
Do you still have the backup folder you Imported from? If yes, run the Import and only select the Inbox to Import. That should put your Inbox back to where it was before moving the messages to a new folder.

My main concern would be that if I'm right about a message causing the problem (which may also explain the original problems with the errors), it may happen again.
Try creating a couple of new folders and move the Inbox messages into them.
Restart OE and check that the messages are still there in the new folders.
Compact your Inbox.

Make a new backup of the Message Store so you'll have one with the messages already moved into new folders.

To remind you how to do that.
Open the Message Store and close OE.
Click Edit>Select all to highlight ALL the dbx files.
Click Edit>Copy (be sure to only Copy).
Go to the desktop.
Right click an empty spot and select New>Folder.
Name it New Backup.
Open New Backup and click Edit>Paste.

Note: Keep your original backup that you've been Importing from until we get this sorted. Having an extra certainly won't hurt anything.

See if things stay put this time.
I'm hoping that if it's a bad message causing this, only one of the new folders will lose it's messages, narrowing down which one it is.
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

12-Jun-2012, 02:53 PM #34
30.7mb

Do you still have the backup folder you Imported from? Not sure what you are referring to. I have a folder named "current inbox messages" that I transferred my inbox messages to before deleting the dbx file you told me to delete (I don't remember anymore).

This is really confusing for me, particularly your next instructions. I am willing to lose the messages in the "current inbox messages" folder I created just to get things to where everything is fine. How do I do that?
Computer Specs

12-Jun-2012, 03:50 PM #35
Quote:
30.7mb

Do you still have the backup folder you Imported from? Not sure what you are referring to. I have a folder named "current inbox messages" that I transferred my inbox messages to before deleting the dbx file you told me to delete (I don't remember anymore).

This is really confusing for me, particularly your next instructions. I am willing to lose the messages in the "current inbox messages" folder I created just to get things to where everything is fine. How do I do that?
When you started, you created a Mailbackup folder on your desktop and that's what you Imported your messages back into OE from.

If you don't care about the messages that are missing now, and you're no longer getting the error when opening OE, you really don't have to do anything.
I'm suspecting whatever was originally causing the problems (a bad message or attachment) is now in the dbx file for the "current inbox messages" and shouldn't cause any more problems with OE's operation.
Give it a few days to see if OE will behave itself now.

If you do find you need access to the messages that are in the "current inbox messages.dbx", you can use this DBX reader to open the DBX file. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dbxviewer.html
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

12-Jun-2012, 04:10 PM #36
OK thanks, I'll see what develops
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

12-Jun-2012, 04:16 PM #37
I just ran the program and the "Current Inbox Messages" folder contains no messages.
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 11:21 AM #38
Last night, when doing a send/receive to send a message I got that warning again. I restarted the computer and everything worked. This morning I went into my address book to change someone's email address. When I exited all the email addresses disappeared. When I restarted the computer everything was fine again. There is still a problem.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,420 posts.

Experience: Advanced
14-Jun-2012, 12:02 PM #39
Why not just switch away from Outlook Express? Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird are both free and many times better than Outlook Express.
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 12:06 PM #40
Cause I'm an old dog and I hate learning new tricks. I've been using it forever and would hate to lose it.
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2012, 01:51 PM #41
Quote:
Last night, when doing a send/receive to send a message I got that warning again. I restarted the computer and everything worked. This morning I went into my address book to change someone's email address. When I exited all the email addresses disappeared. When I restarted the computer everything was fine again. There is still a problem.
Something more than just a problem with DBX files is obviously going on.
Is this your original Default Identity? If you've never created a new Identity, it might be worth trying it.
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 01:53 PM #42
How do I do that and what's involved?
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2012, 03:04 PM #43
First, create a new folder on the Desktop. Right click a blank area>New>Folder.
Name it Identity or Mail so you can find it easily.
Open OE.
Click Tools>Accounts.
In the Internet Accounts box, click the Mail Tab.
Highlight the Account and click Export.
The File Name: and Files of type: lines should be already filled. Save the IAF file to the Identity folder you made on the Desktop.

Open your Address Book.
Click File>Export>Address Book (Wab).
Type a name for it and save it to the same Identity folder on the desktop.

To create a New Identity, in OE click File>Identities>Add new Identity.
Type a name for it, leave "Require a password" unchecked (you can add a password later if you wish) and click OK.
Click "Yes" to switch to the New Identity.
Click cancel on the Internet Connection Wizard and any requests to Import anything.
Click "Yes" on the "Are you sure you want to cancel" nags.

In the New Identity click Tools>Accounts>Mail Tab.
It should be blank (no account listed).
Click the Import button and browse to the IAF file you saved in the Identity folder on the Desktop.
When the Import is complete, on the Mail tab, highlight the newly Imported account in the list and click Properties>Advanced tab.
Place a check by "Leave a copy of messages on the server" (you can change this later if you wish) and click OK.
That's it.
Click Send/Receive and everything on the server should download into the New Identity.

To bring in your contacts, open the Address Book.
Click File>Import>Address Book (Wab).
Browse to the Exported wab in the folder on the Desktop, select it and click Open.
After the Import is complete, check that your contacts are there.

Try it out and see if everything works.
If it does, we'll Import your mail into it.There's no sense in doing it until you're sure the problem doesn't exist in the New Identity.
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

14-Jun-2012, 07:45 PM #44
In your first paragraph you say "highlight the account." Which account are you referring to?
Computer Specs

14-Jun-2012, 09:14 PM #45
The Mail tab lists all accounts that are set up in OE. If you have more than one, Export them all so you can Import them into the new Identity.
You can determine which account is which by highlighting it and clicking Properties.
The Name and E-mail address of that account will be on the General tab of the Properties window.
When you Export them, be sure to name the IAF files so you know what account each is for.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
outlook express 6

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!