Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: New Outlook Express

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jun-2012, 11:17 AM #1
Solved: New Outlook Express
My Outlook Express 6 has been corrupted. I have tried the fixes posted but the program continues to be very unstable. Is there a way to download a new edition of OE and then be able to transfer my current folder to the new edition? Can someone please send instructions on how to do this? Thank you.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 41,645 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jun-2012, 07:54 PM #2
Corrupt how? You need to provide a precise error or symptom.

Outlook Express is part of Windows XP, it cannot be downloaded separately.

But generally problems with OE are not problems with the program itself but with the data files or settings or malware.

If you want to dump OE for a better email client then you may want to get Windows Live Mail as it's the replacement for OE: http://get.live.com
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

04-Jun-2012, 08:20 PM #3
New Outlook Express
I originally got this error message:

An Outlook Express store file may be damaged. Please use a utility such as ScanDisk to verify and repair any damaged files. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C0155

I renamed the data file, deleted about 7000 messages in different folders and compacted the folders. I still get messages that a folder such as the inbox or sent items can't be displayed. I then have to restart my computer. Today my entire address book deleted and came back after a restart.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
04-Jun-2012, 08:30 PM #4
Better back up that address book.

Couldn't you delete all your mail files and start fresh?

I'm using OE on Windows 7, just because I like it. But I put it on here quite a while ago, and I'm not sure I'd remember how I did it. I do remember that it required changes to the Protected Storage store to make it read/write in order for OE to save passwords. I'll see what I can find, but don't get your hopes up.
Computer Specs

04-Jun-2012, 09:25 PM #5
Yup, your data files are corrupt not your OE.

Rename all your Outlook Express data folder and have OE re-create the folders automatically. Your Outlook Express stores the email in the following location: C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Random GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
You can rename the "Outlook Express" folder to "OLD EMAIL" or something similar, If you want the messages from those folders you can likely import them back from that folder.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
04-Jun-2012, 09:34 PM #6
After some thought, forget about getting OE from me. I started with a system that never had OE. But you already have it, and trying to run a separate copy when there are registry entries and other programmatic pointers to your original installation is just likely to wreak havoc on your system, so I can't in good conscience support that route.

You'll have to fix that one. You may be able to extract mail from the old data files after you rename them if you absolutely have to.
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

05-Jun-2012, 01:35 PM #7
Triple 6: I already renamed the inbox based on a reply I found elsewhere on this board. Can you walk me through the steps on how to rename all the folders and then how to import back the messages?
Elvandil: Thanks for your help.
Computer Specs

05-Jun-2012, 08:09 PM #8
The Inbox.dbx file is in a folder called "Outlook Express", rename that "Outlook Express" folder and your are done - I included the path in my post above - it's the same folder that you would have renamed the Inbox.dbx file in unless you simply renamed it in Outlook Express which would not work to resolve this. If you want you can rename just the "Sent" file to see if thats the corrupt folder, or rename the folders.dbx file that's there too. Once working, we can then worry about importing stuff back in.
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

05-Jun-2012, 09:52 PM #9
I did that and right now it seems to be working fine. My question is, what did I do? OS looks the same. What will happen going forward?
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

06-Jun-2012, 10:27 AM #10
While trying to delete an item from my inbox this morning I was unable to do so and received the same message about a store file that was damaged. This is after I renamed the Outlook Express file last night.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,904 posts.

06-Jun-2012, 11:07 AM #11
This is basically what "Triple6" had you do, just a little different way of going about it to ensure you're in the right place.
The following will generate a new Store folder.

You need to have Hidden files and Folders showing.
At the top of any folder(My Documents for example) click Tools>Folder Options>View tab.
Scroll down the list and place a check next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" then click Apply and OK.

In OE
Click on Tools>Options>Maintenance tab>Store Folder.
On the Store Location box, highlight the address by pressing the Tab key on your keyboard.
Press Control+C (both at the same time) to copy the address to the clipboard.
Click Cancel on all boxes and close OE.

Click on Start>Run.
Press Control+V (both at the same time) to paste the address into the command line and click OK.
The Store Folder containing all the DBX files should open.

In the Store folder, click Edit>Select all to highlight all files.
Then click Edit>Cut.
Go to your desktop and right click an empty area and click New>Folder on the menu.
Name the new folder Mailbackup.

Open Mailbackup and click Edit>Paste.
All the DBX files should now be in the Mailbackup folder and the Store folder should be empty.

Open OE and new DBX files will be created in the Store folder.

Note: You should only have the default folders when OE starts. All your mail and user created folders in OE will be gone. That's normal and everything can be restored from the Mailbackup folder if OE is now working properly.
Give it a day or two to see if OE generates any errors again. If it doesn't and it seems to be OK now, I'll post instructions for recovering your messages.

If it still has problems, the next step would be to try a new Identity.
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

06-Jun-2012, 12:36 PM #12
OK I did everything you posted and got just what you said when I opened OE. The only problem is I work with my folders and all the messages within them all day long, so I need to have those messages back asap or I can't do any work. Can I recover my messages now? If it still has problems I will see that anyway. Thanks so much!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,904 posts.

06-Jun-2012, 12:44 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtg360 View Post
Can I recover my messages now? If it still has problems I will see that anyway. Thanks so much!
Sure. Just run the Import tool using the Mailbackup folder as the source.

In OE,
File>Import>Messages.
Select OE6>Next.
Check Import from an OE6 Store directory>Next.
Click the Browse and select the Mailbackup folder on the desktop>OK>Next.
Select All Folders (Or pick the ones you want)>Next.
Let it run and hopefully everything will Import successfully.
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

06-Jun-2012, 12:55 PM #14
After I received your last message (I have not run the import tool yet) I did a send/receive and my inbox and deleted folders filled up with hundreds of messages dating back from 2008 to today, most of which I am sure I had deleted. Before I run the import tool, will I be getting duplicates of all those messages?
Computer Specs
Member with 151 posts.

06-Jun-2012, 01:00 PM #15
I notice that many of those messages were from my saved items folder
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
outlook express 6

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!