Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Java install error copying file to c:\windows\SysWOW64\npDeployJava1.dll

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 131 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Jun-2012, 06:35 AM #1
Solved: Java install error copying file to c:\windows\SysWOW64\npDeployJava1.dll
I'm on a new computer, Windows 7 64-bit, and I'm having some issues with Java. I've seen a couple of error messages from programs that refer to Java (one referred to JavaScript specifically), but when I've tried to research it, it seems like all's well with Java on my system.

I went to the Java site, and today it said there's an update, so I downloaded it. It said nothing about first uninstalling anything, so I assumed that's not necessary. While the installer was running I got an error message:

error copying file to c:\windows\SysWOW64\npDeployJava1.dll

I clicked OK and the installer just kept going, then told me it's all installed, which seems weird if there's an error and some file may be missing.

I really don't know anything about Java. I know that lots of programs require it be installed, but I have no clue what sort of programs need it and why. Really, this particular program is largely a mystery to me.

How do I figure out if it's functional? Should I have uninstalled it before updating? I've looked at that option, but in my Programs there are three things listed named Java, and I have no idea if any or all of them are relevant: Java(TM) 7 Update 1 (64-bit), Java(TM) 7 Update 5, JavaFX 2.1.1

Update 1 evidently came with the computer, because it was installed in March, before I had it.

There are also a couple of items named Java in my Firefox Plugins: Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.40.255 10.4.1.255, Java(TM) Platform SE 7 U4 10.4.1.255

Neither of those have the option of uninstalling, only disabling.

I've always been under the impression that Java is a free program, so I figure uninstalling and reinstalling shouldn't be a problem, but since I really don't understand how this thing works, I'm hesitant.

Could someone help me figure out how to install a functioning Java on this computer? Thanx.
Member with 5,647 posts.

24-Jun-2012, 08:59 AM #2
The first thing to establish is that Java and JavaScript are quite different software and that, as a very general rule, you could, depending on what you use your computer for, probably survive without Java but you would struggle without JavaScript because it is required to use lots of websites and pages.

JavaScript is embedded in websites and your browsers need a JS version to 'read' the information. JS is not a separately installed program but comes with your browser so it can't be uninstalled but can be disabled using browser settings.

As for your Java problem, have a look at this Oracle document;http://www.java.com/en/download/help...P&user_jre=7.0 I found that link here; http://www.javatester.org/ and, despite the fact that it refers throughout to 'Sun Java' despite Oracle taking it over some time ago, I have found it to be a very useful site. I did read somewhere that new Java versions are supposed to uninstall old ones automatically but there might be some thing more concrete in the Oracle instuctions. I personally chose the 'offline' installation process the last time I did it but the choice is yours.

Whatever, you definitely need version 7 Update 5 and it probably wouldn't hurt if you uninstalled 7 U1 yourself. I've got FX 2.1.1 as well and I have no idea what it does!!
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jun-2012, 09:11 AM #3
First things first - Java software & Javascript are two entirely different technologies and are in no way related.

You only need need one version of Java (also called the Java Runtime Environment) installed, and that's the latest one.
When you install Java, it also adds related plugins to Firefox. These plugins can only be disabled because if you want to remove them you simply uninstall Java and the related plugins will automatically be removed at the same time (as long as you make sure Firefox is closed when you uninstall Java).

I suggest you uninstall all versions of Java first, then download and install the latest version:
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Then test the installation by visiting this page: http://java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp
Computer Specs
Member with 131 posts.

24-Jun-2012, 11:26 AM #4
So the programs I should uninstall are Java(TM) 7 Updates 1 and 5, right? But I should leave JavaFX alone?

What occurs to me is that I still had Firefox open when I installed Java. Could that explain the error message?
Member with 5,647 posts.

24-Jun-2012, 12:19 PM #5
No, you can keep 7 U 5, assuming it's a 'good' installation (although your error message might suggest otherwise) but get rid of 7 U 1. I have no idea about FX 2.1.1 so I'm keeping mine for now!

If you want to be a perfectionist I suppose you could uninstall all the Java items and then re-install 7 U 5 (I think FX 2.1.1 comes with it).

If you were using the online install I think you would have had to have your browser open but I'm not sure. Read the 'How do I manually download and install Java for my Windows computer?' section in the Oracle document I posted the link to.
Computer Specs
Member with 131 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 01:29 AM #6
I uninstalled all three Java items listed in my programs. Downloaded the manual install for 64-bit Windows. Rebooted and installed from the installer. It said it was installed successfully, and it's listed as just Java update 5 in my programs, but when I went to the test page, it said that no working Java was detected.
Computer Specs
Member with 131 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 01:58 AM #7
Something else weird since I uninstalled and reinstalled: The icon of my Filezilla shortcut has disappeared. I clicked on it, and it said that there was no file attached to the shortcut. I checked my programs, and Filezilla was gone! I reinstalled it, and the program is listed, and working, but the icon for the shortcut is gone. It's just has one of those generic Windows icons now. When I go to properties in the shortcut it does show the correct icon. Where it prompts me to pick an icon, I picked the Filezilla icon again, but it still doesn't show up. I've done nothing other than uninstall and reinstall Java. Something's really wrong here....
Computer Specs
Member with 131 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 02:00 AM #8
Oh, and by the way, no JavaFX is listed anymore either. It was clearly installed with the update when I first tried it, but not this time with the offline install.
Computer Specs
Member with 131 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 03:19 AM #9
I just noticed in the Java Control Panel that Internet Explorer is considered the default browser. It gives me the option of ticking Mozilla, but when I do, and hit Apply and OK, it does not stay ticked. The IE option is greyed out and cannot be altered.

So I checked Java in IE and there it says it's working perfectly. But I will never, ever use Internet Exploiter (and the Bing toolbar it forces on me - it politely ask for my consent but doesn't give me the option to decline - sleazy!). Java does me no good if it only works in Internet Exploder.

I'm guessing this is where the problem lies? (Though it doesn't explain how uninstalling Java resulted in Filezilla getting uninstalled and its shortcut icon irretrievably lost - that's very disturbing to me!)
Computer Specs
Member with 131 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 03:51 AM #10
Sorry, I'm posting this in bits and pieces as I'm figuring out more about what's going on. I just came across this page, that says that I need to verify if my browser is 64-bit. I followed the directions and I couldn't see anything that says that my browser is 64-bit, but it was automatically downloaded into the x86 programs file on the computer, so I guess it's really 32-bit.

So I uninstalled Java again, then installed the 32-bit offline installer, and now it tests fine in Firefox. I guess this solves the original issue, and Java (without the FX) is now working.

I guess Java is really all about the browser. But if it's not really relevant to the rest of my system, why did my Filezilla get messed with? After I finally installed the correct version, I was also suddenly able to change the icon on Filezilla back to normal, which I tried repeatedly before but couldn't. Is this something I should be worried about?
Member with 5,647 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 10:37 AM #11
I can't answer the specific questions you raise because I have no knowledge of how 64 bit OS's or Filezilla actually work.

Following from your comments about FX, I decided to do some research and came up with this Wikipedia article; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaFX Based on one quick read of the first few paragraphs, it appears that FX is something I could do without but is unlikely to be doing any harm if I leave it alone (I'm using XP).

In your first post you mentioned seeing some messages from other programs referring to Java (or JavaScript?). The main point is that, unless you have some programs that need Java to run properly, (and you can't survive without those programs), you can actually do without Java being installed and, as a bonus, avoid the malware that is regularly being targetted against Java. If you must have it, you have to keep it updated which you can now do via its auto update option.
Computer Specs
Member with 131 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 11:11 AM #12
One of the problems I'd seen was actually JavaScript. I think I saw some error message, which I can't figure out how to reproduce, in Open Office. That could have been JavaScript too. I really can't remember. It happened when I was just getting used to Open Office after years on Word.

What do I actually need Java for? I remember a long time ago I was prompted to install it when I looked at interactice panoramas of a historical place. Do I need it for Google Earth, which has similar features? If it's not something vital, but I may need once in a blue moon, maybe I'll just disable it.

Filezilla is an FTP Client and Server. I use it to copy files to my web host's server.
Member with 5,647 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 11:56 AM #13
You could always remove Java and see which of your other programs stop working properly (or at all).

I know Open Office requires Java to be installed and, when I tried it (Open Office), I got very annoyed because it insisted on installing an old Java version, even though I had the latest version already. I didn't get on very well with Open Office so I uninstalled it and am now trying Libre Office (which may also need Java).

EDIT: If you have any queries about your JavaScript status you can go back to javatester.org with each browser you have installed and click on the orange 'JavaScript' box on the left of the page. That will confirm if JS is working in the browser and should identify the JS version each browser is using (1.3 for IE. 1.8 Firefox and 2.2 for Opera). As far as I know, there isn't much you can do about JS except to enable/disable it using your browser's settings

Last edited by TOGG; 25-Jun-2012 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: more info
Computer Specs
Member with 131 posts.

25-Jun-2012, 11:30 PM #14
I'll see how Open Office does with this new Java installation. I wasn't aware of LibreOffice. Good to know. I'll bookmark it just in case.

My sense is that the JavaScript error I got originated with the program. Similar programs are working perfectly. I've contacted the developer about it, and left in their hands. But I'll also bookmark the java tester, which may be handy in the future.

Thanx so much for all your help, TOGG. Really appreciate it!

I'll mark this thread solved now.
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Microsoft
29-Jun-2012, 10:52 AM #15
To answer your question about why 64 bit Java was not available in Firefox, Firefox is a 32 bit application; 64 bit Firefox is not considered a stable build at this time. When Java is called upon by an application, it calls upon it with instructions native to its architecture, thus 64 bit Internet Explorer is able to call upon 64 bit Java, which you had installed, however 32 bit Internet Explorer and 32 bit Firefox were unable to call upon Java, or even recognize that it was installed due to the difference in architecture. In order to support Java in both 64 and 32 bit browsers both architectures of Java will need to be installed.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!