Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Windows Installer Error

(!)

Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Jun-2012, 06:20 PM #1
Solved: Windows Installer Error
i have a Vaio computer that came with extra programs that i really didnt need and/or want. I couldnt find the uninstaller in the Control Panel, so i decided to delete it myself. The only problem was after getting rid of the programs (or at least thinking i did) windows installer kept trying to install an update for the two programs i got rid of, even after pressing cancel every time it came up. One of the programs was PMB Vaio Edition, which i seemed to stop the installation for by deleting it from the regestry, but didnt do the same for the other program, Media Gallery. So can anyone help and tell me how to get it to stop and/or get rid of the program completely.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,864 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Jun-2012, 02:19 PM #2
CCleaner is the free program for removing those pre-installed programs.

You may now actually find Revo-uninstaller useful now.
Member with 10 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 09:23 PM #3
i already have the free version of ccleaner. i will give the revo-uninstaller a try, then i will get back to you
Member with 10 posts.

28-Jun-2012, 09:42 PM #4
i tried revo uninstaller, but it didnt find the program.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,864 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Jun-2012, 04:33 AM #5
It wouldn't, but it should offer to look for bits left over.
The other trick to try is to re-install the original program so that all of it is there and THEN get Revo to remove it, Do NOT restart your machine until later as many program insist on doing so before Revo has completed its tasks. Ask it to do a deep scan, but do be careful to make sure that ONLY BOLDED registry items are selected for delete. It does occasionally not fully expand the tree down to the item for delete and you need to do it manually.

As a last resort I often scan the registry myself afterwards as even Revo misses some items.
Member with 10 posts.

02-Jul-2012, 12:09 PM #6
i tried to reinstall the program, but it tells me there is already an installation in progress which is the problem i talked about
Member with 10 posts.

03-Jul-2012, 08:26 PM #7
i restored my pc to factory settings, so thnx for nothing
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
installer, media gallery, windows 7

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!