Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Win Vnc

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
27-Jun-2012, 11:45 AM #1
Win Vnc
Hi all,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this really finicky issue i sometimes get:
(using win XP)
Winvnc.exe is placed in the startup area but we need for it to start as a service so we can use it when it is needed. So we move the exe to c:\ so it's path is c:\winvnc.exe The problem is trying to get it to start as a service and it asks for a password.

This is how we do it: open cmd, type cd\ to change it to root, type "winvnc -install", that registers it as a service, then use "net start winvnc" then it should prompt for a password to be entered but sometimes it doesn't. Any ideas on how this is caused so i can get it to prompt for a password?
Computer Specs
Member with 63 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jun-2012, 09:30 AM #2
No ideas?
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 8,901 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jun-2012, 07:26 AM #3
I thought one of the options of the VNC family of product was to install as a service on the host machine with passwords etc pre-configured. It is only when you try to connect a guest that you are asked for the password on the guest.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!