Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Why can't I install Adobe Flash Player?


(!)

JoshFFuller's Avatar
JoshFFuller JoshFFuller is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Experience: Beginner
02-Jul-2012, 01:15 PM #1
Exclamation Solved: Why can't I install Adobe Flash Player?
I've spent a LOT of time looking up this answer, and no luck so far. I go to download flash player 11.3 from adobe, and it downloads fine. I open the download (does the same with admin privileges) and it tells me my security settings prevent the file from being downloaded.

To me this suggested my internet settings were screwed up, so I went to control panel and reset them, then set it to medium high security with option to download files set to enable. This did not work and it seems like the only solution Adobe and anyone else suggests. Right now my work around was installing flash add-ons for firefox through the firefox add-ons menu and I can watch youtube videos, and use flash apps. yes internet explorer still has no flash, and sometimes my computer will stop responding and then when I restart windows explorer, the flash player symbol shows up on an application tab with no title and no options when I right click it.

If it helps any, computer specs are just updated on here and I am having issues updating java's virtual machine, yet java is running fine (I assume a background program is using it when I try and update, causing the failure there).

Desktop Specs:
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, x64 Family 15 Model 75 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3069 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 232071 MB, Free - 50525 MB; D: Total - 6400 MB, Free - 897 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NODUSM3
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Last edited by JoshFFuller; 02-Jul-2012 at 02:19 PM..
TOGG's Avatar
Member with 5,633 posts.
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Birmingham, England
02-Jul-2012, 01:54 PM #2
Did your research include working your way through this?; http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html I have had problems with Adobe updates recently and found it easier to install the .exe versions which I got from the Adobe site. If nothing in the Troubleshooter helps you, post back and I'll try and re-locate the relevant links.

I'm not aware of any linkage or dependency between Adobe Flash and Oracle Java and I don't know where you would start to look for it (if there is one!) You can check your current Java status here; http://www.javatester.org/
JoshFFuller's Avatar
JoshFFuller JoshFFuller is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Experience: Beginner
02-Jul-2012, 02:08 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGG View Post
Did your research include working your way through this?; http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_19166.html I have had problems with Adobe updates recently and found it easier to install the .exe versions which I got from the Adobe site. If nothing in the Troubleshooter helps you, post back and I'll try and re-locate the relevant links.

I'm not aware of any linkage or dependency between Adobe Flash and Oracle Java and I don't know where you would start to look for it (if there is one!) You can check your current Java status here; http://www.javatester.org/
I went through that whole list, and a few other unofficial lists I found talking about similar things, none of it worked. As for the java tester, crashed firefox, as I expected. Works fine on Chrome and says everything is fine, so I guess it's a firefox add-on issue, can't do much with it until I fix flash, as most of my issues right now are caused by flash :/
TOGG's Avatar
Member with 5,633 posts.
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Birmingham, England
02-Jul-2012, 02:42 PM #4
I assume Chrome handles Flash OK because it has its own built in version and doesn't rely on the separately installed plugins the other browsers need?

Have you tried running the Adobe Flash uninstaller (it's not supposed to affect the Chrome version) and downloading the new versions in Safe Mode with Networking? I found the direct download links and am including them just in case they help;

Non Active X; http://download.macromedia.com/get/f..._11_plugin.exe

Active X (IE);http://download.macromedia.com/get/f...1_active_x.exe

Are you having problems updating any other programs? I ask because I understand that some types of malware will block updates and both Flash and Java are regularly targetted..
JoshFFuller's Avatar
JoshFFuller JoshFFuller is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Experience: Beginner
02-Jul-2012, 03:04 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGG View Post
I assume Chrome handles Flash OK because it has its own built in version and doesn't rely on the separately installed plugins the other browsers need?

Have you tried running the Adobe Flash uninstaller (it's not supposed to affect the Chrome version) and downloading the new versions in Safe Mode with Networking? I found the direct download links and am including them just in case they help;

Non Active X; http://download.macromedia.com/get/f..._11_plugin.exe

Active X (IE);http://download.macromedia.com/get/f...1_active_x.exe

Are you having problems updating any other programs? I ask because I understand that some types of malware will block updates and both Flash and Java are regularly targetted..
I had tried the first option, where I put it in safe mode (I assumed it was spyware or something similar at first) I have not noticed any other issues, and i figured the virtual machine error with Java was because I had something open. Thank you for the links, I had used the first one to get firefox working with flash, and the second worked well, I think it was what I was missing, realplayer is working, all three browsers are working (firefox chrome and I Explorer ) although I'm still getting the error message for the standard install. Oh well, new laptop soon, so thank you for your help, I'd consider it solved. Time to work on the java thing, and may I ask where you got those links? Just so I might bookmark them. Again, thnak you for all your help!
TOGG's Avatar
Member with 5,633 posts.
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Birmingham, England
02-Jul-2012, 03:50 PM #6
Just in case it's any help, here's a link to a Java Help Center (assuming you haven't already seen it); http://www.java.com/en/download/help/index.xml

I would like to claim that the information I supply relies on my own extensive knowledge and experience, but I can't! Nearly everything I 'know' is based on stuff I found elsewhere. In the case of the Adobe links, it was a post in the 'update alerts' section of the Wilders Security Forums (currently at the foot of page 2); http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34 Worth bookmarking and consulting on a daily basis IMHO.

EDIT: If you're happy, you can mark this solved by clicking on the 'Solved' option which should appear in your post(s)..
JoshFFuller's Avatar
JoshFFuller JoshFFuller is offline
Computer Specs
Member with 9 posts.
THREAD STARTER
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Experience: Beginner
02-Jul-2012, 03:54 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGG View Post
Just in case it's any help, here's a link to a Java Help Center (assuming you haven't already seen it); http://www.java.com/en/download/help/index.xml

I would like to claim that the information I supply relies on my own extensive knowledge and experience, but I can't! Nearly everything I 'know' is based on stuff I found elsewhere. In the case of the Adobe links, it was a post in the 'update alerts' section of the Wilders Security Forums (currently at the foot of page 2); http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34 Worth bookmarking and consulting on a daily basis IMHO.

EDIT: If you're happy, you can mark this solved by clicking on the 'Solved' option which should appear in your post(s)..
Solved, and thank you very much, I'm just going deal with the java, nothing is unstable and it's just the minor annoyance that I know it happened, everything reads fine now. Thank you again!
TOGG's Avatar
Member with 5,633 posts.
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Birmingham, England
07-Jul-2012, 04:24 PM #8
Just in case it's of any help to others with Flash installation problems who read this thread, I should point out that the links to the direct downloads can be found in the Adobe Troubleshooter under the heading' Progress bar hangs during download / Unable to connect to server / Unable to download metafile' so it should not be necessary to go hunting for the relevant entry at Wilders Security Forums, which I referred to in my post #4; http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...r-windows.html
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.


Tags
adobe, flash, flash player, software, update

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


WELCOME
You Are Using: Server ID
Trusted Website Back to the Top ↑