Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Internet Slow/Page, Menu, and Icon Elements Disappear

(!)

AtlBo has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 559 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Jul-2012, 09:11 PM #1
Solved: Internet Slow/Page, Menu, and Icon Elements Disappear
Hello and thanks to everyone here.

Operating System is XP. PC HP DC7700 SFF 4GB RAM memory 250 GB HD. Here's the problem:
I start the machine, run the internet browser for 2-3 hours, then elements of all the pages begin to disappear. Right clicking over the browser reveals partially filled menu boxes (not all the options are present). When I minimize or close the browser, I notice that the words to icons on the desktop have disappeared, and programs won't open. An error message comes up, but the words are missing. If I don't restart the machine, there will eventually be a BSOD, which tends to vary in type but is not at its root an unusual one...something to do with ntkrnlpa.exe, which I have gotten before. If I restart, all functionality will be restored and the machine will again work for 2-3 hours.

I have had ntkrnlpa.exe blue screens in the past for which I took no corrective action. I suppose the blue screens could all be linked, and they could just be happening closer together. The signs seem to me to be pointing to RAM memory failure. Could I be correct on this? The reason I mention it is that large portions of the functionality of the machine seem to be disappearing all at once, but there are still some elements of functionality. The sign that most nudges me in the direction of faulty RAM is the fact that not all the items are missing from the right click menus.

In this light, I suppose it could be the sockets for the RAM memory or something else on the mother board to do with RAM memory.

I am not ruling out a software conflict, but the only new software on this machine is the latest upgrade of Opera. I went from 11 to 12 a couple of weeks ago. I have read that there have been problems, some of them very serious and along these lines. Could this be causing RAM leaks, etc. that affect the desktop icon words and menus (not just Opera menus...all menus)?

The other suspicion I am having is the main hard drive, although I can't point to anything in particular that would indicate so to me.

Thanks in advance for any help...
Member with 2,536 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 09:05 AM #2
I don't use Opera any more so I can't comment on any problems with the latest version, but you can test your RAM modules with Memtest86+ from here: http://www.memtest.org/

In order to use Memtest86+ you need to create a CD from the downloaded ISO file. You can do that with the free IMGBurn from here: http://filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

Boot your PC from that CD and Memtest86 will eventually appear on screen. Tutorial for using it is here:
http://www.corsair.com/applicationnote/memtest-how-to
AtlBo has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 559 posts.

06-Jul-2012, 09:10 AM #3
Thanks pip22. Looks like update 1451 of Avast may have been the culprit. There's a pretty good bit of stirring on the Avast message board, and I noticed some similar problems. Additionally, Avast issued an update this A.M., 1456. This is pretty quickly on the heels of 1451, and the first improvement mentioned in the update has to do with blue screens. My problems seem to have stopped with the update.

I'll look into the RAM test when I get a chance. That's something I should do...

Thanks again
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!