Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Two Java problems

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Beginner
15-Jul-2012, 01:15 PM #1
Two Java problems
I'll try and make this as short as possible. Recently I haven't been able to access some of the features on my broker's website. They put out a troubleshooting bulletin saying that many people were having problems and what you needed to do was clear you Java cache and everything should work fine. I went to do that and my Java cache won't clear for love or money. I've tried many times and I keep getting the message "Can not uninstall these applications." It's kind of frustrating but Java seems to be working normally everywhere else. I've run my McAfee Internet Security virus scan as well as Malware bytes and they can't find any infections that might be causing this so I'm not sure why it won't clear the cache? I've heard this isn't an uncommon problem with Java also.

The second thing is that recently I updated Java thinking that might be helpful. I was running Version 6 Update 31 which was out of date so I installed Version 7 Update 5. Still no luck getting the cache to clear. What got me though is that when I checked by programs list the version 6 update 31 hadn't uninstalled itself. It was still on my programs list along with version 7 update 5. I've heard it said that you shouldn't be running two versions of Java at the same time because you are asking for trouble it you do so I tried to uninstall the older one. When I tried it came up that it was an unknown publisher. I thought that was odd because it should have come up as Oracle so for now I left it alone. I thought about uninstalling both versions and just reinstalling version 7 update 5 but others have tried that to fix their cache problem and now they can't seem to get Java to reinstall at all. I thought I would ask around to see if anyone knows just what's going on and what to do about it? I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic as my OS.
Phantom010 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 32,318 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jul-2012, 10:29 AM #2
Try uninstalling all versions of Java with the help of JavaRA.

Try installing the latest version of Java Runtime Environment again.

If no luck,

Run the Microsoft "Fix it" HERE.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

17-Jul-2012, 10:55 PM #3
I went to download JavaRA but it's a zip file and I don't have anything to open it with. I just haven't had to deal with zip files before.

I went ahead and uninstalled Java 6.31 from the control panel and restarted. Right not I have 7.5 and Java FX 2.1.1 installed. I tried to see if the Java cache would clear since 6.31 was gone but still no luck. I think that there might still be some remains of it in the registry. That's why I'm a little nervous about uninstalling 7.5 and FX because it might keep me from being able to reinstall it. From what I have read Update 6 especially 6.31 is very hard to completely get rid of. What's so odd is that Java works fine everywhere else. It's just this one site that's the problem.

You might find yourself having to be very patient with me and explain some things in detail because I just have basic computer skills. I know some things and can troubleshoot some problems but really complicated ones like this have me lost. For people with advanced skills this might be really simple and elementary but to me it's not.
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2012, 10:28 AM #4
You don't need any third party software to unzip a zipped file. Simply right-click it and select Extract All...

A program like CCleaner would help you clear the Java Cache. Just don't use the registry cleaner option.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

18-Jul-2012, 10:43 PM #5
I didn't know you could open a zip file that way. I thought you had to have Winrar.

I have the free version of CCleaner installed on my computer. If I can delete it that way I will instead of downloading another program. Can you tell me how I can positively identify the Java fragments? If I can't do it with the free version I'll just download the JavaRA and take care of it that way.
Computer Specs

18-Jul-2012, 10:53 PM #6
By Java fragments, are you referring to the cache or to remnants from removing Java?

I think you should see an option to delete the Java cache in CCleaner.

As for removing remnants, try using JavaRA for a cleaner uninstallation of Java.

You could also use the free Revo Uninstaller, which is a universal uninstaller. It's pretty thorough but I couldn't tell you if it's better than JavaRA to remove Java.

Please read instructions and questions carefully, and reply in a timely manner... Thank you.

Why don't you just Google it?
If your problem is solved, please click on the Mark Solved button.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

19-Jul-2012, 11:09 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom010 View Post
By Java fragments, are you referring to the cache or to remnants from removing Java?
The remnants from Java that might still be in the registry. I know I can search and see if there are any files or entries that pertain to Java 6.0.310 but I'm not going to alter anything or delete anything. I know not to play games with the registry.

If JavaRA will completely remove any trace of Java from my system that's probably the one I'm going to try. I assume that I should first delete the other Java programs from the programs list when you go through the control panel first. When it comes to making some serious changes to my system I'm always very careful and err on the side of caution because I know how badly things can get fouled up if you don't know exactly what you are doing. I created a restore point just in case things to get messed up so maybe I can go back and recover at least what I had before making the changes. I'm probably going to be working really late tomorrow so I probably won't be able to attempt things until Saturday but I will make another post soon after and report how things have gone.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 12:47 PM #8
OK, here's what I've done. I downloaded JavaRA and extracted the files. I then had it remove older versions. It found two registry entries from 6.0.310 that weren't deleted when I uninstalled it from the delete/add programs list and deleted them so I'm assuming that all traces of 6.31 are now gone. I then uninstalled 7.5 and FX 2.1.1 from the delete/add programs list. Then I ran JavaRA again just to see if there was anything left over and it found nothing. I reinstalled Java 7.5 and FX 2.1.1 from their website, went back to my broker's site and tested it out to see if it worked. I had the same problem all over again. I noticed something though that I hadn't before and that is that their digital signature is being rejected. Apparently they have changed their code and it's flawed. I'm not the only one that's been having problems because their tech support is loaded with people with the same problems. Maybe I should have gone there more but when all of their suggestions didn't pan out I thought that maybe my Java programs or applets were corrupt. Now I don't think they ever were in the first place. I think this problem is on them and not me or my installed software. This happened with Youtube about a year ago when they installed new code and it didn't work that well. People thought it was their version of Flash or Java but it was Youtube all along. I think that's the situation here too. I'm going to call their tech support line on Monday.

I don't think we've totally wasted out time though. I've learned some things about zip files that I didn't know before and that might come in handy in the future. You have given me a lot of help and I thank you for it. If I run into another problem with this I'll be back.
Computer Specs

21-Jul-2012, 02:07 PM #9
You're welcome!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!