Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

iTunes not listed in "Set Default Programs" Win7

(!)

Member with 23 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 02:14 PM #1
iTunes not listed in "Set Default Programs" Win7
iTunes drives me nuts in many areas but this is the latest. Every time I start iTunes, it says it is not the default audio player and to go to "Default Programs" to correct it. Opening "Set Default Programs" shows that iTunes is NOT there.

I've tried setting mp3, mp2, etc., files to open with iTunes in "Associate file type with a program" but that doesn't get rid of the "not the default audio player" popup when starting iTunes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, does not fix.

My iTunes also does not have any CD burner icon under "Edit>>Preferences" like it shows in Apple Help forums...geez, now there's an oxymoron: "Apple Help" !!!

I am running Windows 7 (64bit)
Computer Specs
Member with 82 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 05:35 PM #2
I haven't used iTunes in a long time, but I remember being able to turn off the alert you're getting. If it's just the alert that's getting to you, try that.
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jul-2012, 07:14 PM #3
If you are unable to use iTunes as your default player, it is possible you have some type of registry protection that is not allowing iTunes to edit your registry and set itself as the default program to open up associated files.

This page sheds some light. Just go to where it instructs and find the file types you are trying to associate with iTunes, and change the key values.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!