Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Backspace Key Changes Font Size! What?!

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
31-Jul-2012, 10:41 PM #1
Backspace Key Changes Font Size! What?!
My wife's Vostro 1510 laptop (running Windows XP, using both Explorer and Mozilla) started doing this weird thing a month ago.
When she's in her profile on the laptop, in her Verizon account, writing email, every time she hits the backspace key, instead of backspacing, it changes the point size of all new text to 48. Once it's changed to 48, she can backspace normally, until she fixes the text and changes it all back to 12 ... then the backspace problems happens all over again.
Here's the really weird part. When I use her laptop, using my own profile, accessing my own Verizon email account, this doesn't happen.
WHAT is going on?!
We've called Verizon tech support twice, and they had no advice, whatsoever.
Is this a virus? Some weird shortcut that she accidentally created? I've researched this online and fiddle around with her laptop for hours, and I'm no closer to fixing it. I've read a lot of forum entries about weird backspace key problems, but nothing like this.
She uses backspace A LOT, by the way.
I am reluctant to mess with a system restore for fear of losing the files on her hard drive.
Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 71 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 11:02 PM #2
You may have accidentaly set a macro on your Backspace key. If this is the case go int your macros and delete any connected to that key.
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 11:12 PM #3
Thanks for your reply! According to eHow, "Windows XP allows you to schedule tasks, but not record macros." Is this accurate? I seriously doubt that my wife downloaded any macro-recording applications. If there ARE macros on her laptop, where can I find them? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 3 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 11:37 PM #4
One other development: This odd phenomenon only seems to happen in Mozilla Firefox, not in Explorer. At least, right now, it doesn't. She claims it happened in Explorer, which prompted her to start using Mozilla. Anyway, RIGHT NOW, it's not happening in Explorer, but continues to (in both her Verizon account AND my Verizon account) in Mozilla.
Computer Specs
Member with 71 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 02:55 PM #5
If you havent already, i would run anti-virus software to make sure that her computer is not "infected". I myself dont have a verizon account but i would check your profile setting to make sure you dont have any "site only macros" which some sites have. To check if there are macros and to edit them you should type "macro" into the search bar...or you go through "all downloads" from the time this started to now to check for similar downloads or software that might compete with verizon.
Computer Specs
Member with 71 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 03:01 PM #6
If you are seriously thinking of a system restore you should buy a data saving device to store to the existing data. After the sytem restore, transfer all files you want to keep that are not corrupted(unlikely that they will be) to the computer. You should update system restore about 3 times a year, and have virus protection programs running 24/7.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,904 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 11:17 PM #7
Try using Firefox Safe Mode. Help>Restart with Add-ons disabled. Click the Restart button on the pop up.
Click Continue in Safe Mode.
See if the problem still happens in Safe Mode.
Computer Specs
Member with 121 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 06:29 PM #8
I am having the same problem when using my email, and I am not a verizon customer. It happens with both aurora/firefox and explorer but not on chrome. The only add ons I have for aurora are adblocker plus, avast web rep, and easy youtube video downloader. It also happens on my dad's laptop with explorer and his email. My email is yahoo and his is gmail. Maybe this will help with solving this problem?
pcatrocity has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 372 posts.

Experience: Beginner
10-Aug-2012, 07:12 PM #9
Have you checked the compose font size ?
Thunderbird, Yahoo, etc have that option available on options or properties.
Thunderbird is Tools>Options [Size x small to xxLarge[
Yahoo Mail>Options>Mail Options [General>Advanced Settings>Size]
Computer Specs
Member with 121 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 07:43 PM #10
I have checked those on mine and they are set for size 8 font. Then when I backspace or delete it changes it to size 38 font.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
backspace key problem

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!