Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: What is it actually for ?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 882 posts.

Experience: Beginner
02-Aug-2012, 12:47 PM #1
Solved: What is it actually for ?
I thought that Adobe FlashPlayer was needed in order to view video's on YouTube. I've just recently uninstalled Adobe FlashPlayer but YouTube still works fine. So can someone tell me what Adobe FlashPlayer is actually for ? In layman's terms.
While I'm on the subject. What is Adobe Reader and Adobe Air for and are they useful ? Again, in layman's terms please.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 12:51 PM #2
Flash is required to view YouTube videos. What exactly did you uninstall, and how did you uninstall it? What web browser and version are you using?

Flash is used to watch flash videos.

Adobe Reader is used to read PDF files.

Adobe Air is a set of functions that other programs use. It's like Java and .NET Framework.
Computer Specs
Member with 770 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Aug-2012, 01:04 PM #3
re:
Camera videos are usually converted from raw (source formats) to web friendly formats with video editing software and then converted to Flash, .mp4, or wmv video formats so you can watch them with either Adobe Flash Player (browser based), Quicktime player, or Windows media player software.

If your still able to watch youtube videos, check your browser add-ins list. Its probably still listed there.

Last edited by tjamnz; 02-Aug-2012 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: update
Computer Specs
Member with 882 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 01:12 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
Flash is required to view YouTube videos. What exactly did you uninstall, and how did you uninstall it? What web browser and version are you using?

Flash is used to watch flash videos.

Adobe Reader is used to read PDF files.

Adobe Air is a set of functions that other programs use. It's like Java and .NET Framework.
You say I need to have Flash in order to watch YouTube video's. Then how come I can watch YouTube without Adobe Flashplayer ? Also, I just told you what I uninstalled - Adobe Flashplayer. I used Add & Remove Programs to uninstall it.
Computer Specs
Member with 882 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 01:12 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjamnz View Post
Camera videos are usually converted from raw (source formats) to web friendly formats with video editing software and then converted to Flash, .mp4, or wmv video formats so you can watch them with either Adobe Flash Player (browser based), Quicktime player, or Windows media player software.

If your still able to watch youtube videos, check your browser add-ins list. Its probably still listed there.
How do I go about checking browser add-in list ?
Member with 5,654 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 04:55 PM #6
If you didn't use Adobe's own uninstaller it's possible that the Flash plugin is still on your computer. What happens if you run the Adobe version checker?; http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Where you look for addon/extension details depends on the browser. In Opera and Firefox it's under 'Tools'
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,247 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Aug-2012, 06:21 PM #7
Different browsers use different Flash players and they are uninstalled separately, some even have Flash Player built in like Google Chrome. What browser are you using? Or the uninstall failed and never actually uninstalled Flash or when you returned to YouTube it realised you were missing Flash and reinstalled it as it normally does when you visit Youtube without having Flash. Also some video's on YouTube are available in HTLM5 format but the majority are Flash and I believe you have to Opt-into an optional mode to use HTML5. So, which browser are you using?
Account Disabled with 725 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 06:32 PM #8
Computer Specs
Member with 882 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 07:00 PM #9
Flash Player
Flash Player is on my system. I use Google Chrome and now understand that Chrome comes with Flash.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.   DaveBurnett has a birthday soon! DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,899 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Aug-2012, 03:13 PM #10
Adobe Air is used by the BBC iPlayer in the UK.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 11:37 PM #11
Adobe Flash Player is needed for reading Flash player applications - a common way of providing interactive objects and video players on the Internet.

The reason YouTube continues to work after uninstalling Flash Player is because, with new standards supported by modern Web browsers, YouTube can offer an HTML-based player without needing any add-ons, and it's automatically opted into when you browse YouTube without Flash installed.

Adobe Reader is for reading PDFs (Portable Document File) - something very commonly used for presentations or briefings on the Internet. Many product manufacturers make their manuals in PDF, many employers make the electronic form of their handbooks or brochures in PDF, and so on.

Last edited by Blacqwolf; 05-Aug-2012 at 11:51 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!