Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

HELP, clonezilla disaster!

(!)

Member with 125 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 05:42 AM #1
HELP, clonezilla disaster!
I have a friends computer, she had an old 80GB hdd and wanted a new 500GB hdd, I know a little about computers and said i'd help out. I downloaded clonezilla and got a tutorial, put the new hdd into the pc (both are SATA drives) and did a local device option to clone it.

When it was done (took around 40mins) I tried to start the PC and neither the new drive or the old one will start! OMG what have I done!!!!!
For less than a second a blue screen appears, it can not be read as it is so fast I can't even make out a single word.

I really need to get this going as it isn't mine and there is no back up of all her stuff and i'm really freaking out.

Here is the tutorial that I used in case that is important, I followed it to the tea and don't know why my drive won't load.
http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-..._to_disk_clone

*UPDATE*
I just got the blue screen up for longer than a second and here is the error message.
CONFIG_LIST_FAILED
anyone help??

Last edited by wendlle; 03-Aug-2012 at 05:57 AM..
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 8,920 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Aug-2012, 01:52 PM #2
It is extremely important that you do the first boot of a cloned disk WITHOUT the old disk in the machine and probably the same for the old one without the new one in there.
Windows gets confused if it has a choice of what it thinks are two identical disks.
I even try to do any clones from outside Windows so that there are no active Windows tasks to get in the way as some Windows clone software tries to adjust drive letters and boot options - which you most definitely do not want.

However that CONFIG etc. implies either it has run out of space?? or it cannot read part of the registry.

Last edited by DaveBurnett; 04-Aug-2012 at 02:09 PM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!