Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

New computer slowing down progressively?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Maybe almost intermediate
04-Aug-2012, 01:57 AM #1
New computer slowing down progressively?
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/4/2012, 01:46:40
Machine name: V***-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7680
BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/27/11 14:31:21 Ver: 04.06.04
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
Page File: 3380MB used, 12965MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Okay, Hi!
I got my computer around June, and it is now August. I expected lot of great things from my computer actually, mostly to be able to play games on max or near max graphics without lag. To be able to render high quality videos without lag. To stream live videos or games i'm playing without lag. And for a faster computer in general. When I got my computer in June, it was fully capable of doing ALL of these things without issues, however I've noticed a few things that are slowing down...

1. My computer takes a longer time to start up. (I shutdown my computer every night)
2. I cannot record graphic intensive games with fraps, or live stream comfortably on max graphics anymore.
3. My computer in general takes a longer time to load files, and freezes from time to time.

Now these are not serious issues, but they are not what I expected to be occurring only 2 months after purchasing this computer. It was literally perfect the first day, and did everything I listed above without any issues.

Note:
1.Since I've first bought my computer, I've downloaded a good deal of programs and online PC games, and deleted some that were unneeded.
2. My computer should not be infected with anything, I've scanned it with AVG 2012, and Malwarebytes.
3. I recently got a blue screen error today, so i system restored my computer back to around late July, it's running normally now but not as well as i'd like it to.

Why is my computer slowing down and what can I do to fix it?

Thanks ahead of time!
Computer Specs
Member with 5,508 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 09:58 PM #2
Run Msconfig and look at the Startup tab. It lists all the programs that run after you login. Usually slow downs are caused by too many running programs in the background.
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,324 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Aug-2012, 10:12 PM #3
This is what lunarlander is referring to. I'll walk you through it and advise what programs should run at startup.

--------------------------------------

Click Start.

In the search bar, type MSCONFIG and hit Enter. Click the "Startup" tab.

Write down only the names in the "Startup Item" column that have a checkmark next to them.

If the "Startup Item" column isn't wide enough to see the entire name of any of them, widen the column.

Submit those names here in a vertical list.

Make sure to spell them EXACTLY as you see them there.
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 11:21 PM #4
In the start-up tab I have:

Media Finder
Sandboxie
Overwolf
Akamai NetSession Client
Google Update
Super-Charger
AVG Internet Security
PlusService
Apple Push
iTunes
Java(TM) Platform SE Auto Updater 2 0
Adobe Acrobat
Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
GamersFirst LIVE!
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,324 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 11:55 PM #5
Click Start.

In the search bar, type MSCONFIG and hit Enter. Click the "Startup" tab.

Remove checkmarks from the following entries:

Microsoft Windows Operating System

Media Finder

Sandboxie

Overwolf

Akamai NetSession Client

Google Update

Super-Charger

PlusService

Apple Push

iTunes

Java(TM) Platform SE Auto Updater 2 0

Adobe Acrobat

Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager

GamersFirst LIVE!

Click "OK."

Reboot the machine.

Once in Windows, you will receive a prompt alerting you of the changes we made.

Place a checkmark in the box and click "OK."
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 02:16 AM #6
Hi again, I did as you told me to do and the only improvement I've seen is in the speed of my desktop loading upon restart. I am still unable to do tasks such as high quality video rendering or recording of a game at a comfortable FPS, but such tasks are still able to be done. Really, I just do not believe my computer is working at its best, like it was the first week I had it.

Programs such as "Gamers First Live!" and "Overwolf" I removed a long time ago. Why are they still showing up on my computer, and does that mean other programs I've uninstalled did not fully uninstall like I believed them to?

Thank you for your help ahead of time.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,324 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 07:53 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoko
Hi again, I did as you told me to do and the only improvement I've seen is in the speed of my desktop loading upon restart. I am still unable to do tasks such as high quality video rendering or recording of a game at a comfortable FPS, but such tasks are still able to be done. Really, I just do not believe my computer is working at its best, like it was the first week I had it.
The idea behind that process is that if you have less programs launching at startup, you will have less processes running in the background as you're playing games, rendering video, or whatever.

With your system's hardware, these types of things should be no problem. What graphics card do you have?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoko
Programs such as "Gamers First Live!" and "Overwolf" I removed a long time ago. Why are they still showing up on my computer, and does that mean other programs I've uninstalled did not fully uninstall like I believed them to?
Sometimes when programs are uninstalled, the loading points in the registry aren't deleted and MSCONFIG still detects them.

Whenever you uninstall something, I suggest using Revo Uninstaller.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

While your computer is idle at the desktop, do the following:

Right-click the Taskbar.

Click Task Manager.

Click the Performance tab.

Take a screenshot of this window and attach it in your next post.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 12:04 PM #8
Programs running in the background are not affecting my computer performance. They never have, because my CPU Usage rarely goes above 10%...
http://i.imgur.com/bwgbK.png
The processes tab.

Graphics Card Information:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 430
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DE1&SUBSYS_13353842&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4065 MB
Dedicated Memory: 993 MB
Shared Memory: 3071 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: DELL ST2010
Monitor Id: DELF018
Computer Specs
Member with 9,324 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 12:52 PM #9
Wow, there really isn't very much going on there at all.

If you're sure the computer isn't as fast as it was, you can do a fresh install of Windows to take care of any software related problems.

But with that little going on, there shouldn't be any software reason to explain the slowness.

------------------------------------------

Another idea would be to run benchmarks on your hardware to make sure they're performing how they should.
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 11:39 AM #10
How do I run benchmarks on my hardware? Since you and I believe software isn't affecting my computer speed, I will not go through the trouble of re-installing windows.
Moderator with 69,360 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 11:56 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoko View Post
2. My computer should not be infected with anything, I've scanned it with AVG 2012, and Malwarebytes.
I would suggest updating to AVG 2012 or better yet, IMO, remove AVG and try Microsoft Security Essentials
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 12:46 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybertech View Post
I would suggest updating to AVG 2012 or better yet, IMO, remove AVG and try Microsoft Security Essentials
I have no problems with AVG 2012, and I've paid for the program in store, i'm not going to simply toss it away because you told me to without a legitimate reason. Also my AVG is up to date.

Last edited by Shoko; 12-Aug-2012 at 12:55 AM..
Member with 965 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 07:04 AM #13
AVG was highly rated at one time. It's sort've outdated and bloated now. There are better programs available.

You seem certain you aren't infected with something, but I'd bet that you are. For a 2-month-old computer to be noticeably slower that when new, there is something going on. I'm not a malware expert, so can't give you specific steps to follow. I'm sure one of the experts will chime in and help (if you're willing to listen).
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 07:16 PM #14
Better programs like? If you give me a good program then I'll actually bother to use it. Microsoft security essentials is the reason my old computer got infected because it doesn't detect anything. And what type of virus, or malware simply slows down your computer. It's not a MAJOR slow, just a slight one where my FPS in games isn't as high as it was before. And when I try to edit HQ videos, my computer freezes up from time to time. It never did this before, so i'm wondering what I can do to get my computer working like new again.

Sorry if I sound a little impatient, I'm open to any ideas anyone might have really.
Computer Specs
Member with 9,324 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 08:56 PM #15
Microsoft Security Essentials is the most highly recommended antivirus software on TSG.

If you don't like it, here are some others:

- Avira Antivirus

- Avast! Antivirus

I used to run Avast! antivirus for years, then I switched to MSE.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!