Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Updating BIOS failed

(!)

Member with 16 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 09:38 AM #1
Solved: Updating BIOS failed
If it matters, I have an Alienware M17x R3. Anyway, I was having some troubles with my laptop recently, so I decided to reinstall Windows. After starting it back up, the screen was a lot dimmer than it normally is, even on max brightness. So I tried updating my BIOS to see if that would fix anything and I received the following error message when I launched the updater.

Failed to Retrieve system BIOS information.
BCPSYS block signature was not found.
Error code: -100

Also, the version of BIOS I have right now is A02, where as the latest is A07. So do any of you have any idea how I could get around this problem?

EDIT: I was able to update the BIOS, the problem was that the version I was downloading was for the R1, not the R3. For whatever reason the Dell website had it listed under the same thing, even though they're completely different. Anyways, I did get the BIOS for my laptop and it installed fine. So the initial problem is fixed, however I'm still having problems with the brightness. Any clues as to what might be causing it?

Last edited by AE6B9; 06-Aug-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Aug-2012, 08:55 AM #2
A BIOS should be updated only when the update specifically states that it will correct the problem you are experiencing.
Updating the BIOS blindly in the hope that it might fix the problem is never a wise move considering that a bad BIOS update can turn your expensive PC into a dead brick.

There are no settings in the BIOS which have anything whatsoever to do with the display brightness so I'm not surprised it didn't change anything.

It is more likely to be caused by a bad/corrupted graphics driver or a faulty hardware problem (the screen, or a component it relies on).
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!