Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Enabling Cookies in Firefox

(!)

raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,806 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Aug-2012, 09:56 PM #1
Solved: Enabling Cookies in Firefox
This just started out of nowhere on my XP Home laptop, but I also saw it on a friends desktop machine (also running XP Home). My comp has been running just fine for a long time and this happened just this evening when I tried to log onto my gmail.

When I enable cookies by selecting "Use custom settings for history" (see 1st screenshot) it will not stay as set. When I close the Options window and reopen it the drop down menu has reset itself back to "Remember History" (see 2nd screenshot). I've cleared the cache and cookies with no joy.

I'm using FF v14. My friends desktop is using FF v 3.6. They exhibit the same behavior.

EDIT.. Just checked FF in Safe Mode and it does the same.

EDIT 2... I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out just what is going on. Although the setting reverts to the "Remember history" as previously stated, I find that cookies are being accepted by FF and operations are normal....
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: Enabling Cookies in Firefox-firefox-cookies-enabled.jpg   Solved: Enabling Cookies in Firefox-firefox-cookies-off.jpg  

Last edited by raybro; 10-Aug-2012 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: Confusion....
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,955 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Aug-2012, 10:30 PM #2
If you check the "Clear history when Firefox closes" box, the custom settings will stay open and the advanced Settings button will go active.
If it's not checked, then it's assumed you want to remember everything and defaults to the Remember History. Everything on that page still works and will be the same the next time you open it up with the custom setting.
You can uncheck everything in the Advanced Settings if you don't actually want to clear anything.
It's just a weirdness in the way it displays.
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,806 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Aug-2012, 10:36 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by throoper View Post
If you check the "Clear history when Firefox closes" box, the custom settings will stay open and the advanced Settings button will go active.
If it's not checked, then it's assumed you want to remember everything and defaults to the Remember History. Everything on that page still works and will be the same the next time you open it up with the custom setting.
You can uncheck everything in the Advanced Settings if you don't actually want to clear anything.
It's just a weirdness in the way it displays.
That is definitely weird, but changing the settings as you instructed certainly fixed the problem. Now I can also fix my friends desktop. Thanks much
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 4,955 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Aug-2012, 10:46 PM #4
You're welcome.
It's not really so weird. The way you're screenshot shows, you don't really have any custom settings. You're remembering all history so it just goes back to the default in the dropdown.
Well, maybe a little weird.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!