Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Graphic Card Driver

(!)

Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,204 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Aug-2012, 11:11 AM #16
...or the motherboard, or the power supply, or a comparability issue, or a BIOS setting, or any device connected to the system.

Have you looked up the specs for your current memory and verified that the timings and voltages are set correctly in the BIOS? If the RAM has fancy LED's then it may required more then the standard voltage the motherboard is set too.

Most bluescreens are random, because it's random does not mean a faulty will not be detected in a diagnostic specially designed to find faults.

Also if you buy new RAM, which you can if want too, you do not need four sticks. Two sticks will give you dual channel, four is not needed. But you should make sure to buy RAM that is guaranteed to be compatible with your motherboard, sites such as www.crucial.com will do that, the biggest mistake people make is buying the cheapest stuff they find and then running into stability problems down the road. Asus also has a limited list of memory they have tested and know shoudl work as well: http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/A...uxeWiFiAP/#MSL

Your motherboard also has heat pipe cooling, that what you feeling thats hot, it's suppose to move the hot air from the RAM and other components it's connected too away, so thats's why it felt hot to you, it suppose to be hot, But make sure if you buy RAM that it works with those heat pipes; so it can't have it's own heat pipes or cooling fins or it won't work in the first two slots.

And your motherboard has a big list of BIOS updates: http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/A...FiAP/#download
Many address stability and memory issues, it would be wise to update the BIOS at some point but not when there is a chance that the memory is faulty and could corrupt the BIOS update and rendered the motherboard dead.
Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Aug-2012, 11:24 AM #17
Well the RAM sticks are incredibly hot, even when i'm not doing anything, just leaving them on, staring at the desktop, but yeah, i don't know what to do now, the only thing i can think of because i'm not computer smart is buying new RAM and new graphics card.
So do you think there's something wrong with my motherboard? The mainproblem of my computer seems to be memory issues or something, and lately (before all those blue screens) it started using ALOT of CPU up to 100% where my computer would freeze, even when i wasn't doing anything.
Getting off topic at the moment, but yeah you seem like a smart guy so X)
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2012, 11:33 AM #18
Have you cleaned the heat sinks as you were planning too?

Have you got the computer booting up again? Did you get the graphics working? Did you ensure there is power connected the back of the graphics card?

Is it the actual RAM that is hot or is it the heat pipes that are hot? The memory shouldn't get that hot unless the voltage is cranked up too high in the BIOS, this will not be fixed with new RAM, or if the heatsink is from the rest of the system, also will not be fixed by new RAM.

See the pictures here, all the copper heat sinks and pipes are connected together: http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/A...P_DeluxeWiFiAP
In order for them to work correctly you must have a working clean CPU fan, you should also have a rear case fan that is blowing out, and you need to ensure that the power supply is clean and the fan in it is working; these are all required to remove the heat.
Member with 41 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 12:10 PM #19
I could take a picture of it, if that'd help?
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2012, 12:10 PM #20
Sure, that would be useful.
Member with 41 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 12:28 PM #21
question, i was recording it, because it's alot easier to record than taking pictures...am i allowed to use words such as "sexy"
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2012, 12:31 PM #22
Do remember that is a technical AND family oriented website and not Youtube or Facebook.
Member with 41 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 12:33 PM #23
Well the word "sexy" should be fine then? seeing as it's an adjective to most commonly complient the opposite gender, and in some occasions the same gender.
Member with 41 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 12:48 PM #24
uuh, do i have to upload the video on youtube or something, and then send the link here?
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2012, 01:09 PM #25
I see no computer description requiring the use of that word.

If it's a video then yes, you have to upload it somewhere else. A few detailed photos would suffice, those can be uploaded as attachments here using the Go Advanced button and then the paperclip icon to add them.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
graphi card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!