Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Graphic Card Driver

(!)

Member with 41 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Aug-2012, 12:21 PM #1
Graphic Card Driver
Hello gaaais, not sure if this is the right place to post this but, i was wondering if anyone could help me finding the right graphic card driver, i'm not computer smart at all so i have no idea what exactly a driver even is so if anyone could help me find the exact link or something that would be great, tell me if there is any more info you need, since it's a custom made pc i can open it and take a look inside

Graphic Card: HIS HD 5770 Turbo IceQ 5

Ok thanks
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,354 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Aug-2012, 12:28 PM #2
The AMD site has the driver you are looking for: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista64.aspx
Member with 41 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 12:32 PM #3
That's the one i used to download before i formatted my computer as well but when i used it, it didn't match the desktop...the desktop was bigger than the screen kinda, you could move windows out of the desktop, and i was looking through the config but nothing would solve it, so i'm just wondering if that "Catalyst" thing is a driver thing, and if i need to download anything else after i've downloaded the graphic card after a clean format
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2012, 01:12 PM #4
Catalyst is the name of the driver & software package from AMD for their GPU's.

Don't have any idea what you mean by "it didn't match the desktop", can you explain that more clearly? Does this driver install? Dopes it give you an error? Can you go and adjust the resolution after installing it either through "Screen Resolution" or through the "Catalyst Control Center"? both are accessible by right clicking on the desktop.

Have you installed Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 already? If not you so do so immediately and download any and all other updates as well. If you did a clean install then you must install all the drivers for all your hardware unless Windows 7 already has the drivers, but even then you should see if there updated drivers from the manufacturer's site.

You should also in your computer specs, TSG has a System Information Utility you can run specifically to do that: http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links
Member with 41 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 02:33 PM #5
well mentioning Windows Service Pack 1...another problem, when i try to install it, it gives me an error or something, wich i don't know how to fix, i can't tell you wich error because now i'm having problems with my hardware X)
(It pretty much lets me download everythig BUT windows service pack 1, i've done research into the problem, but i've also had blue screens (have posted a topic on this forum on the blue screen issue) wich prevents me from rebooting my computer to do necesseary error searches, wich require me to reboot my computer alot, since it reboots, and then immedately blue screens and restarts, so basically if i had errors, i'm guessing the errors were scheduled to be shown on that first reboot, wich never happened because the blue screen auto rebooted it, if that made any sense....yes

Hardware Issue
I took out the graphic card to clean it a bit using compressed air stuff, and now it doesn't work or something, now it makes ALOT of noise, but the fan on it is running awesomely i noticed, so yeah ALOT of noise as well as it doesn't work, it doesn't detect my HDMI cable or something, so i don't get any picture on my screen.

Cleaning
After i get my graphic card to work, i'm going to clean my processor or whatever it is, the thing that looks like a heatsink or something, and after that, i expect my blue screens to be gone, if not, i'll just throw the computer out the window.
Member with 41 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 02:36 PM #6
And the problem with the desktop...
Yes i can change the screen resolution, the problem is, i can drag windows and tabs out of sight if you get what i mean, kind of as if i've got 2 screens (wich i don't, and i've checked the screen management thingie, and it says i'm just using 1 screen)
Wich is really not a problem but yeah, before i formatted my computer i didn't have that issue, but if it's the right driver i don't mind that little issue at all, i just kind of needed confirmation that, i'm actually downloading a driver, and that it's the right one, because i'm dumb ^^
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2012, 02:48 PM #7
Well you can drag Windows off the side to some extent under normal operation. But you may have a secondary monitor enabled, the Radeon HD 5770 can support up to 6 monitors with the right connectors. Right click on the desktop and choose "Screen Resolution" and then see if it is showing multiple desktops/monitors. If it is make sure you do not have more then one cable connecting the computer to the monitor, or maybe try a cable other then an HDMI card, you can then right click on the secondary monitor and disable it if you don not have multiple connections to the monitor.

Since there is no such thing as a "screen management thingie" in Windows you will have to start using proper terminology.

There's no need to remove any components from the computer to clean them unless they are extremely bad; a simple can of compressed air generally works just fine to clean a video card and processor heatsink & fan. I'd advise you clean out your CPU heatsink.

For the video card, make sure you have it seated correctly in the correct slot and that you have plugged in the power to the back of the card.

Did you ever solve the memory issues? Did you test the RAM as instructed? If you do not have a CD or DVD drive to run Memtest86+ then you can use the Windows Memory Diagnostics to test the RAM: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ter?SignedIn=1 Run the Extended tests. If the memory fails then you can stop the diagnostics at that time and then test one piece at a time until you find the problem stick, you can also test in pairs if you want if you want too to speed up the process.
Member with 41 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 03:01 PM #8
Well when i said "screen management thingie" i mean when you're that the "screen resolution....thingie" it's not showing any more monitors, but yeah as i said it's not an issue at all and it doesn't really bother me, as long as i know i've got the right driver.

As for the second part, i'm cleaning them because i believe they may be causing blue screens, due to the fact, after computer just being on for 15 mintue, my RAMsticks, my graphic card and my processor...thingie is HOT!...basically everything except for the power supply, the internett card and the hard drives are friggin' hot, so yeah maybe a cleanup would be nice.

And i just read a little bit with the link you sent me, and there comes the issue that i described in my last replies, whenever i reboot my computer i get a blue screen, so i'm not really able to do anything that involes rebooting, when i get a blue screen, i have to wait about 15 minutes before i can boot my computer again.
And i believe i did some sort of memory test, and it rebooted my computer, ( i was sitting there watching it) and a blue screen immedately poped up and rebooted my computer as it always did, so my guess is that, the results were scheduled to show up on the reboot the memory test did, but since my blue screen rebooted my computer before i was able to look at it....So i think you get the point.
Also reminds me of one thing, i did some sort of memory testing, and it said that i had memory issues, wich i haven't figured out yet, my RAM sticks, got leds or something, so they blink alot (wich is totally bada...badrump) and they all blink so i don't think there's anything wrong with them.

My only hopes is that it's just dust wich is overheating my computer, or RAM, but since troubleshooting is gonna be hard, and if cleaning dust doesn't help, i might as well just take a guess, and buy 4 new RAM bricks, since RAM bricks aren't that expensive nowadays.

Appreciate the quick responses by the way : D
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2012, 03:18 PM #9
Please do not use the word "thingie" anymore, its not a word and every annoying.
Also, they are called RAM "sticks" not "bricks".

Have you checked the temperatures in the BIOS? Press DEL when you turn on the computer to enter the BIOS setup. Post all the temps is shows or better yet download the free HW Monitor and post a screenshot of it's readings: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Why do you not have a working CD or DVD drive? That would making testing the RAM much easier. You say that the diagnostics failed the memory already, if so then you must address that issue. You can also run Memtest86+ from a USB stick or a floppy. You really need to test the RAM. You can also see if running one RAM stick at a time resolves your reboot to bluescreen issue. Chances are it's only one of the sticks that is the problem, and only it needs to be removed or replaced if you want.

But even if you get a bluescreen when you do a reboot, you should still be able to then boot up, as you say you can do after waiting for a bit and then run the memory test, please see Step 3 here how to boot to the Memory diagnostics: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...tics-tool.html

Lastly, you still haven't run the requested TSG Utility to tell us what hardware you have.
Member with 41 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 03:48 PM #10
First of all the word "thingie" appears to annoy you, so therefore i will stop using the word "thingie"
And i'm aware they're called RAM "sticks" and not "bricks" the reason i used "bricks" was because i was kind of in a hurry, and English is not really my native language, "Rob" : )

And i will post you the BIOS results thi...stuff once i get my graphic card to work properly as i'm not even getting any picture on the monitor, and the fan is making ALOT of noise, wich is actually pretty cool, because the fan was going way faster than it used to do.

Thirdly, i don't have any CDs to burn the memtest thi....stuff on.
I cannot remember what kind of diagnostics i did in order to get that memory issues results, because i did it before i posted this topic here so it was kind of an random test wich i do not know the name of.

Quadradly, i tried to test the RAM "sticks" individually, but after the third, i stopped because it was boring and i wasn't sure if it was bulletproof...proof of testing the RAM sticks, due to the fact that i've got one weird blue screen issue, wich is basically, i can go on my computer for about 30 minutes, then if i turn it off, i will face a blue screen (the blue screen pops up at random times i believe) and will have to wait about 15 minutes, so what i did to test my RAM sticks was, putting in 1, booting my computer up, leaving it on for about 30 minutes, rebooting it, then if i didn't get a blue screen it wouldn't be a problem with that RAM stick, and then do it again with a different RAM stick. So i don't think it's a bulletproof way of testing RAM sticks, as the blue screen isn't 100% to pop up on reboot after 30 minutes.
The weird testing resulted in 2 sticks not giving blue screen, and 2 sticks giving blue screen. (the leds on all of the sticks blinks and look fine if that matters)

Pentadly (i've been playing way too much LoL) instead of running that windows 7 thi..thi...uuh...test i'll just go to the store tomorrow and buy one of em fancy cd thi...frisbees

Lastly, as i stated in my last post, i'm not yet even able to get to my computer because of my graphic card problem wich i'm trying to solve before i can do any of these test thi...stuff, so that means i also cannot use that TSG Utility to tell you what kind of hardware i have, but i've posted a recent topic here, and someone asked me to use it, so luckily i've got the results on another topic wich i will post here...right now...

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9850 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8191 Mb
Graphics Card: Standard VGA-skjermkort, 4 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 156231 MB, Free - 119243 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M3A32-MVP DELUXE
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

(Do keep in mind that this is not a newly hardware diagnostic thi...it's about a week old, but i haven't added any new hardware to it but yeah i just tought i'd mention it in case it was relevant, :3

Lastly for the second time....I forgot what i was going to say, so any more questions?
Appreciate you trying to help me by the way :3
And i'm trying REALLY hard not to use the word "thingie" at the moment...and it's not easy
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2012, 04:04 PM #11
Diagnostics steps may be boring but they are required.

The video card fan generally goes full blast if there is a problem. So make sure that the power cable is plugged securely into the back of the video card and that the video card is seated securely in the slot. Also make sure you didn't bump anything else loose such as a memory stick.

And while in the computer, take note of the make and model of the power supply you have. Post that info once you have it.

Once you get the PC booting again , use Step 3 from here to test the RAM: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...tics-tool.html Test them all at once and see if they pass, do a full extended pass.
Member with 41 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 04:09 PM #12
Is what the power supply says, i honestly don't think there's a problem with it, but yeah
HX650W
Corsair Professional Series
Member with 41 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 10:48 AM #13
After formatting my computer for abseloutely no reason and getting the blue screen: Modification of a system code or a critical data structure was detected.
Along with an error code i cannot remember, i believe there's something wrong with my graphic card...or not, either graphic card or RAM, since RAMs cheap, i might as well just try RAM first
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2012, 10:51 AM #14
So instead if testing the RAM, of which you have four sticks and highly unlikely that all of them are faulty, you are just going to blindly replace it? What if it's that not the problem at all?
Member with 41 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 10:53 AM #15
Well if it's not the RAM it's the graphic card...Besides, RAM is cheap nowadays, and testing RAM with this kind of blue screen isn't really that easy, because the blue screen comes at random times
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
graphi card

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!