Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Flash Not Working With Google Chrome..

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 369 posts.

23-Oct-2012, 03:27 AM #1
Question Solved: Flash Not Working With Google Chrome..
I have Windows 7 and for some reason I'm having a problem with Flash working properly with Google Chrome. First, I have completely uninstalled and then reinstalled Chrome to no avail. I read where to disable the Flash plugin(s) and that seemed to work briefly, but then the problem comes back very soon. Say I goto YouTube and try to load a video. There will be no picture, but I'll hear the video playing in the background and even reloading the page doesn't help. If I disable one plugin, it will work, but then shortly after, it will stop again.

I do have two installations of Flash.....that is to say, one that comes with Chrome and another plugin I installed manually. Like I said, I disabled one, but it didn't work for very long. I've also switched and disabled the other instance and that too only worked briefly. I followed these directions. http://support.google.com/chrome/bin...&answer=108086

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great. Thanks in advance!
Member with 173 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Oct-2012, 03:45 AM #2
What is your chrome version number?
Have you checked to see if this problem occurs in other browsers?
Also, go here:

chrome://plugins/

And then paste back all the info on Flash that you see

Last edited by BigTobster; 23-Oct-2012 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: Extra Info
Computer Specs
Member with 369 posts.

23-Oct-2012, 04:16 AM #3
My Chrome version is Version 22.0.1229.94 m. Yeah, I tried the plugin thing already, but thanks.
No, it doesn't seem to occur in Firefox, but then Firefox always seems to have stuttering problems with Flash. It's been that way for a long time though and I've seen that problem with my friends PC....Firefox that is. I'm not worried about that though, I rarely use FF. IE 9 seems to work fine too. It's only with Chrome.

Even though I've reinstalled Chrome (a few times already), I wonder if Chrome's 'Sync Settings' are getting in the way of things? What I mean to say is.....ya know how I have 2 instances of Flash installed.....one that comes with Chrome and the other I installed manually (remember I've disabled one with the plugins menu).....each time I uninstall Chrome, it might not matter because Chrome automatically restores itself to it's previous condition because sync is on. Would that have anything to do with it? Should I uninstall the Flash plugin that I manually installed into Chrome? Could the two be conflicting even thought I have one of the plugins disabled?

Last edited by Sithtiger; 23-Oct-2012 at 04:24 AM..
Member with 173 posts.

23-Oct-2012, 05:17 AM #4
To answer your questions...

Google Sync works by storing your profiles and browser settings so that could be causing the problem if there is a Flash conflict BUT if you have disabled one of the plug-ins I doubt that there is.

Chrome's flash is installed in a completely separate directory and works entirely independently than the normal flash libraries. You could certainly try uninstalling the non-standard Flash but, when I had similar problems to you, that did no good at all.

I realise that you have looked there already but it would be very useful if you could paste the text of the plugins page as noted above.

Try disabling accelerated hardware. If you cannot do this on the frame (Because it hasn't loaded), you should be able to do this in the bowels of your plug in settings.

Also, I would advise you to check your graphics card is up to date - regardless of whether the above solution works or not.
Computer Specs
Member with 369 posts.

23-Oct-2012, 05:45 AM #5
Yeah I've tried disabling Hardware Acceleration too, but it did nothing. Here's what the Chrome Plugin looks like. I just copied the Flash part. Did you want the whole thing? Everything is about 4 pages long. I didn't think about updating my video drivers. I'll try that if it starts doing that again. So far, everything seems to be working, but it's done that before, but anyway here is the plugin info about Flash.

Plug-ins (24)
Details
Flash (2 files) - Version: 11,4,402,287
Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 11.4 r31
Version: 11.4.31.110
Location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\22.0.1229.94\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll
Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
Enable
MIME types:
MIME type Description File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash Shockwave Flash
.swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash Player
.spl
Name: Shockwave Flash
Description: Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
Version: 11,4,402,287
Location: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_11_4_402_287.dll
Type: NPAPI
Disable
MIME types:
MIME type Description File extensions
application/x-shockwave-flash Adobe Flash movie
.swf
application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie
.spl
Disable Always allowed
Computer Specs
Member with 369 posts.

23-Oct-2012, 05:53 AM #6
I decided to copy the whole thing. I saved it as a zipped .doc file.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z ChromePlugin.7z (33.2 KB, 136 views)
Member with 173 posts.

23-Oct-2012, 02:54 PM #7
Perfect thank you.

Definitely, definitely, definitely have a look at your Video card.

Also, you have a lot of plug-ins going on there. Take a look at the video based ones and look at removing them where possible. It could be that it isn't Flash that's causing the problem - it is another (poor) plug in intervening that is not allowing Flash to handle things better.

Your Flash version and plug in implementation looks good though. I think your Flash is OK, Chrome is OK so it is another issue (probably one of the 2 above things). Unlikely but possibly to do with security but that seems very improbable.

Seeing as you are now fixed, I can only recommend that you mark as solved, implement the above solutions and reopen/repost if the problem returns. (Hope that's OK Mods!)
Computer Specs
Member with 369 posts.

24-Oct-2012, 03:10 AM #8
Thanks, I agree.....everything is still working great, so I'm gonna say it's been solved. If something does happen again, I'll try your suggestions....thanks!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!