Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Force Firefox to open links in new tab

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 457 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Aug-2013, 09:08 AM #1
Force Firefox to open links in new tab
I had to reset Firefox and now I just can't stop it from opening links in the current tab. Not only that but when I click a link on a website FF opens a new tab for each link. I didn't have this problem before and it's driving me nuts. All I want is for it to open any search/bookmark/history link in a new tab and not in my home page tab. Then if I click on something in the webpage I'm viewing I want that link to appear in the same tab. I keep ending up with about a dozen open tabs. Not what I want at all.

I've gone into about:config for FF, changed some of the values and toggled this or that and I still can't get it to do what I want.

Can someone please help me before I go mad?
Moderator with 63,528 posts.

22-Aug-2013, 09:20 AM #2
tools > options > tabs > untick the 'open new links in new tabs' check box....
Computer Specs
Member with 457 posts.

22-Aug-2013, 09:49 AM #3
I don't have a check box like that. All I have is options to open in New Tab or Current tab. If I allow Current tab then new tabs always open in my home page tab - as they are doing now.
Moderator with 63,528 posts.

22-Aug-2013, 10:11 AM #4
in firefox options you don't have the below?
Attached Thumbnails
Force Firefox to open links in new tab-capture.jpg  
Computer Specs
Member with 457 posts.

22-Aug-2013, 10:42 AM #5
I have been trying to send an attachment showing what my version of FF shows but though I managed to add it I cannot get the attachments window to close. I've clicked on Close Window several times but nothing happens. There I can only tell you what FF says:
Open Links that open in a new window in - New Tab or Current window. New Window is greyed out.
Community Moderator with 19,155 posts.

Experience: comfortably numb
22-Aug-2013, 05:47 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by starnelka View Post
I have been trying to send an attachment showing what my version of FF shows but though I managed to add it I cannot get the attachments window to close. I've clicked on Close Window several times but nothing happens. There I can only tell you what FF says:
Open Links that open in a new window in - New Tab or Current window. New Window is greyed out.
I actually can't remember what older versions of FF had as options but
Quote:
makes for some confusion.

Seeing how a choice is offered, either "New Tab" or "current window" would be greyed out (not new window.) So which is it?

I'd think that if you set the option to "current window", anything you click on a web page would open in there (overloading the site you were on previously). Bookmarks will do that by default anyway, one way around is to hold down the ctrl key when clicking (and they open in new tab).

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!