Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

mpfull.exe

(!)

Member with 205 posts.

03-Jan-2003, 07:08 PM #1
mpfull.exe
Sorry if this is a dumb question.....if I run mpfull.exe from a game CD will it screw anything up on my system ? When the CD starts it gives me a config.safe "snapshot" message and suggets it wants to update my system config settings . If I let it do so wil it simply update my Windows Media player or ....?? Nothing will run from the CD until I make the "snapshot" decision - although I can see that mpfull.exe is on the CD. I'm running WIN 98 with 6.x Windows Media Player - but I get same message on a WIN 2000 system with Media Player 7.1
Senior Member with 574 posts.

03-Jan-2003, 10:17 PM #2
I would suggest clicking no
If you have problems, you can always browse the cd and put it in.
Member with 205 posts.

04-Jan-2003, 07:13 AM #3
mpfull.exe
Actually I don't think I described the situation completely correctly - when I load the CD, I get a "configSafe" dialog box ...which says "a setup or installaton that may change your system configuration has ben detected. Would you like to take a snapshot before continuing with this procedure ? Y/N ?"

There is a box with "snapshot name" tha says "player for Multimedia Builder"

It won't let me close the dialog box....and I have no idea what the "snapshot" means ....so if I click "no" to the snapshot - will it simply change the configs ???
If I disable autorun, will I be able to try and run the cd by browsing the files through explorer ...... I don't want to change any system configs without understaning the implications or if I could revert to original if a problem !
Senior Member with 574 posts.

04-Jan-2003, 12:33 PM #4
Sorry, misunderstood you there......

Any chance of a "read me" hiding on that disk somewhere to discribe what system configuration might be changed?

If it's an older game (what game?)...
I'd be more concerned with it replacing files with older versions.....
Member with 205 posts.

05-Jan-2003, 02:28 PM #5
mpfull.exe
Well ......looks like this "snapshot" configsafe thing is perfectly normal - maybe I should have posted as "snapshot" rather than "mpfull.exe". Seems I have a few odd game CDs - mainly magazine cover giveaways, plus a Sony Football game that came free with a box of Sony CR-Rs - which all invoke the "configsafe" snapshot when loading ..since I trust (!) Sony I took a risk and said "no" to the snapshot and then it took me to the "instal" screens - so off I went - in fact as instal was taking so long I aborted - but no ill effects detected on the WIN 2000 system at least. I also have a CD which seems to be just video -which also invokes the "snapshot"......config change detected message - and I can see that the only exec on it is mpfull.exe, which I assume is a peefectly legit Microsoft upgrade to Media Player ? So maybe all will be well if I ultimately run it - although I haven't risked that one yet !
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!