Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

AIM keeps disconnecting and re-connecting

(!)

Member with 36 posts.

09-Apr-2003, 11:07 AM #1
AIM keeps disconnecting and re-connecting
I'm not sure why it does this. I'll be connected and all of the sudden it will disconnect me and then automatically sign on again right away.

It's really more an annoyance than anything, but if anyone has any thoughts, I welcome them!

Thanks!

Scott
Member with 36 posts.

09-Apr-2003, 11:09 AM #2
I should know better by now.

AOL Instant Messenger Version 5.1.3036
Windows XP Prof.
LAN connection
Computer Specs
Member with 1,952 posts.

09-Apr-2003, 11:24 AM #3
I don't use AOL but I would assume it is similiar to other message programs. There should be a setting somewhere that you can click to always stay connected as opposed to a time out of say 20 minutes (usually default). Hope this helps.
Member with 36 posts.

09-Apr-2003, 11:36 AM #4
I've been using AIM here at work for some time now and it has run fine.

It's only within the past 2 weeks or so that I have noticed that it is doing this. I can't recall any system changes that might have affected it, other than Windows Updates.

Seems like it happens whenever I put in a URL or navigate to a different part of a website when using IE.

Could there be some conflict between this version of AIM and IE 6?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,952 posts.

09-Apr-2003, 11:38 AM #5
It could always be a conflict. I would check the AIM site to see if there are any known problems then download the latest patches for IE. I would also check the AIM settings just to be sure, another program could have changed them back to the defaults.
Member with 36 posts.

11-Apr-2003, 09:26 AM #6
Well, I checked the AIM site and was unable to find any known issues. I have the most current version of both AIM and IE. The settings in AIM are correct.

I have started noticing a couple of other things that may or may not be related. We have a T1 here at work with 512 dedicated for data and the rest for voice. I have run a couple of speed tests lately and a couple of them have been below normal. Also, sometimes when I am loading a webpage, it will fail to load, but then if I hit refresh, it will come up fine.

I believe that AIM needs a constant connection. I'm wondering if we're not experiencing some slight drops of service with our ISP. I guess we normally wouldn't notice if we were just using the internet or email, but the combination of AIM disconnecting and then re-connecting immediately and several often-visited webpages not loading has got me thinking.

It just happened while typing this out. AIM says "connection interrupted" and then immediately signs back on. Hmmm.....

Help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!