Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Script Error

(!)

Member with 52 posts.

07-Aug-2003, 12:47 PM #1
Script Error
I am having a script error problem whenever I access web pages. It started when I tried to reinstall Peoplepc as my ISP. They have sent me a couple of suggestions that haven't helped.

Any ideas?

I'm attaching a screen shot of the error notice.

KarenT
Attached Thumbnails
Script Error-iescripterror.jpg  
Senior Member with 3,334 posts.

07-Aug-2003, 05:06 PM #2
Hi karent

Let us know what version of IE you have..5.0, 5.5, 6.0 , etc.

Did you try this? :

1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add/Remove Programs.

2.On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Internet Explorer 5, click Add/Remove, click Repair the current installation of Internet Explorer, and then click OK.

Edit:

Also, check out this MS article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;308260

Last edited by buckaroo; 07-Aug-2003 at 05:32 PM..
Member with 52 posts.

08-Aug-2003, 01:35 PM #3
Thanks, Buckaroo, I tried what you suggested but it didn't help.

I have Windows 98SE and IE 6

KarenT
Computer Specs
Member with 464 posts.

Experience: Enough to be dangerous.
08-Aug-2003, 01:37 PM #4
Yeah, but what version of IE Explorer are you using?

Click on Help/About Internet Explorer and it will display the current version you have.
Member with 52 posts.

08-Aug-2003, 01:49 PM #5
Sorry, I tried to edit and put in that I was using IE6

KarenT

08-Aug-2003, 03:57 PM #6
Okay, thanks karent. Did you try any of the recommendations from that MS link?

The article applies to your script error.

Member with 52 posts.

08-Aug-2003, 05:24 PM #7
Yes, I did the repair and re-installed the script prog (had already installed it, but decided to try again). Didn't help. Did I miss anything? It looked like they went into another subject after the script prog.

Love your icon!lol

KarenT

08-Aug-2003, 06:16 PM #8
Quote:
It looked like they went into another subject after the script prog.
Karen, no they continue with instructions for other solutions. Try the next recommendation "Disable the Smoth Rolling Feature", see if that works. If not, continue to the next one. Read each carefully to make sure it applies your system specs.

yeah, I like the avatar too!

Member with 52 posts.

08-Aug-2003, 10:25 PM #9
Ok, I got rid of one problem and developed another!lol

I went back to the Microsoft website on Script errors and started following the rest of the directions. But when it got to lowering my colors (they were High Color 16), I didn't; when it got to changing the size of my window (from 800x600), I didn't. I started thinking again that it had to be a Peoplepc problem (even tho they had sent me a "fix" that didn't work). So I uninstalled Peoplepc, undid the changes I had made, and got online with my Net Zero - no script errors. But, as you can see from the attached pic, I have a couple of gaps that I can't get closed or filled in. I can't drag the window up cause I don't get the double arrow and I can't pull it up by left clicking on the blue area.

KarenT
Attached Thumbnails
Script Error-browserscreen.jpg  

09-Aug-2003, 08:03 AM #10
Sheeeesh, it's like something got clobbered, but I'm not sure what. Let's go back to some basics.

1. disk cleanup: Open up My Computer>right click on C: >Properties>the next screen shows your HD>click button for disk cleanup>make sure all the items with the boxes are checked and cleanup up those files.

2. Clean out Windows Temp folder: Start>Programs>Windows Explorer > left hand side pane find Windows folder and click + sign > scroll down to Temp folder > click on temp folder - contents appear in right side pane > It's okay to highlight and delete everything in the folder. This is best done after a boot up.

3. Clean out IE temp folder: With IE open Click on Tools at top > Internet Options > click button to delete temp internet files

4. Scan Disk, best after a re-boot. My Computer>right click on C: >Properties>click on Tools tab at top>click Error Checking Status button>on box that open check for Standard scan and automatically fix errors.

5. Disk Defrag: Best done from re-boot. My Computer > right click on C: > Properties > Tools Tab at top > click defragment button.
Defrag can take a long time and can ait at 10% for a loooong time.

Member with 52 posts.

12-Aug-2003, 12:09 PM #11
when I tried to print out what you were suggesting, I got the lovely RPC stub msg! Tried a few things to get rid of it that I had found here, but nothing was working, so I just gave up on it all for a few days.

I finally got the RPC thing fixed.

I still have the problem of the "gap" and I thought perhaps it was something left over from trying to install PeoplePC because that is where their bar was. I ran HijackThis and found one thing with Peoplepc in it and "fixed" it but it didn't get rid of the gap.

I have no idea how to search further to find anything left from Peoplepc since I uninstalled it to "fix" and maybe get rid of the "gap" problem.

Thanks for helping me!

KarenT
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!