Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't install driver for printer

(!)

Junior Member with 26 posts.

08-Sep-2003, 03:15 AM #1
Unhappy Can't install driver for printer
I posted this on the Hardware forum a few days ago and I am still stuck. I've been thru many more steps since then.

Four days ago I bought a Lexmark x5150 printer-scanner-copier. Went through the setup steps, then put the installation CD in the CD tray.

It would not read the CD; I tried other CDs to see if it was my CD tray, and other CDs were read just fine. Tried to start CD from the Start menu, couldn't. It says there's no CD detected in the tray. (BWT, I am using a Sony VAIO notebook and Windows 98.)

Went to Lexmark site, where you can download drivers, etc. downloaded the driver and installed it on Desktop. Files seemed to transfer correctly.

Connected the USB cable as it said, and cancelled the New Hardware wizards as it instructed.

Specified a "CJ9X5150LE.exe to click on." I don't have that installed.

When I try to print, error message says "Problem communicating with the printer. Incorrect port detected."

Made sure it was set as my default printer. Then went thru Lexmark troubleshooter steps. It says to check to make sure the printer is set to a USB port; it is. (When I check Device Manager, the Host Controller and Root Hub are listed as should be.)

Went thru Windows troubleshooting steps, which suggested a dozen or so items to check, including making sure it is the default printer, checking the cable, etc. No luck.

Went to Lexmark web site's technical support area, and went to the online FAQ's.

It says to make my files visible by using something alled "Explore" in the Start menu, which I don't have. It tells me how to "find hidden files" which I cannot figure out how to do. Went to Microsoft FAQs to try to find out how to do this. Went to a variety of tech support sites. Unable to learn how to do this.

Called tech support where I work. They said to go to the printer icon and tell it to release the printer port, then re-establish it, which I did. Still shows "Incorrect port detected" error message.

Pulling hair! Anyone have suggestions?

MANY thanks.
Senior Member with 4,823 posts.

Experience: no longer reading the "dummies" books
08-Sep-2003, 03:34 AM #2
Go to Start | Programs | Accessories | Windows Explorer
Double click to Open it
Click Tools | Folder Options | ViewTab

In the Advanced Settings Window, find Hidden Files and folders and put a check mark against Show Hidden Files and Folders

Uninstall all the software, using add/remove or the Uninstaller in Start | Programs| Lexmark Unplug the Printer

Reinstall all the software and restart the computer

Plug the printer back in
Member with 267 posts.

08-Sep-2003, 12:17 PM #3
I have an Epson color inkjet. It has a parallel port and a USB connection. If I don't disable my PC's parallel port in the BIOS the install will fail. It just keeps trying to detect the printer on the parallel port and says it can't find it. Once I disable the port it installs no problem on the usb port. I can then turn it back on after wards with no problems. This had me stumped for a while.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!