Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Norton Ghost Boot disk

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Oct-2004, 10:15 PM #46
Hi DVOM,

I followed ur instructions below to create a GHOST 2002 BOOT CD:

I've got a Ghost boot floppy burned to a CD.

First make the Ghost boot floppy, then using Nero or other burn software choose to make a bootable data CD. It'll tell you to put your boot floppy in the drive. Put the Ghost floppy in. You don't need to put any other data on the CD.

Then burn it. No files will show on the final CD in windows explorer so don't worry about that.

Works great.

when i boot up the laptop and boot from CD, it cant boot the GHOST BOOT DISK.

Please assist

Hoay Fern

14-Oct-2004, 10:44 PM #47
I followed below instructions when i boot up the laptop and boot from CD, it cant boot the GHOST BOOT DISK and funny characters appear

First make the Ghost boot floppy, then using Nero or other burn software choose to make a bootable data CD. It'll tell you to put your boot floppy in the drive. Put the Ghost floppy in. You don't need to put any other data on the CD.

Then burn it. No files will show on the final CD in windows explorer so don't worry about that.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

15-Oct-2004, 07:43 AM #48
hoayfern, you're missing a key point. GHOST 2003 doesn't fit on one floppy, you need to insert the second one with the actual GHOST application on it after PC-DOS boots. Since the bootable CD capability of Nero using a floppy can't handle multiple floppies, you need to do something a bit trickier. See my earlier post.

16-Oct-2004, 10:41 AM #49
johnwill, what option are you using in the Ghost Boot Wizard? I use the first option "Standard Ghost Boot Disk". It creates a single disk.
Computer Specs

16-Oct-2004, 04:43 PM #50
You know, I always put at least the CD drivers on it, that's probably why it pushes me over the edge. I just fired up GHOST 2003 and did the plain disk, and it's only using one floppy. Learn something every day.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

01-Nov-2004, 11:47 AM #51
Getting a weird error....
Using Norton Ghost 2003,, created a Ghost Boot floppy disk using the Standard Boot disk option with PCDOS. Then created a bootable disk with Norton Ghost by choosing the option backing up the image to the DVD Recordable media on a DVD-r media using my Liteon DVD Burner and inserted the boot disk when it was asked. The whole process went through fine.

The problem is when I boot with this CD, I get the following error message.

Write protect error on Drive A: Abort, Retry, Fail.

Ghost comes up without the mouse drivers being loaded, thought when I list the directory, the mouse drivers are present. When i type in mouse.com at the command prompt, I still get that error.

Any help what I am missing here????

Thanks,

NCRR
Computer Specs

01-Nov-2004, 01:42 PM #52
The mouse drivers are trying to write their INI file onto the CD, which they obviously can't do. I think you should be able to tinker with the AUTOEXEC.BAT and change to a different generic mouse driver to solve this issue.

01-Nov-2004, 07:42 PM #53
johnwill

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I used the Cutemouse driver Version 1.9 from http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/ and that resolved this problem.

I think anybody trying to make bootable cd-roms with Ghost should use this mouse driver.

NCRR
Computer Specs

01-Nov-2004, 08:11 PM #54
Thanks for finding a free mouse driver, I'll grab that one too.

11-Jan-2005, 05:08 AM #55
I have read all the posts concerning how to make a bootable cd-r using Nero, but whenever I try to boot from the cd I just get a bunch of random characters. I will list the steps I took just to make sure I'm not missing anything.

1. Created a ghost boot disk
2. Used Nero to make a bootable data cd
3. Inserted ghost boot disk when prompted for the boot files.

It seems a pretty straight forward but for some reason it's not working. I have made a new boot disk to ensure my problem is not coming from it being corrupt.

We are using Ghost 7.5 and need to push this image out to 100 clients and any assistance will be appreciated.

11-Jan-2005, 05:31 AM #56
Also the Hard Drive is Serial ATA. I think this may be causing a problem, but I am researching that now.

19-Jan-2005, 01:34 PM #57
boot cd
lo guys.. having some trubble with my windows install and wanted to restore my c drive with a ghost v9 image located on a different drive (not s-ata, detectable in ghost 2003 pc-dos) Well as this reading this whole thread. Im kinda stuck. Cant make a bootable cd. Do not have old kasette drive that u guys call a floppy . Wouldnt it just be so easy to make a cheap img of your working bootable cd's and send out?
Computer Specs
Moderator - Gone but never forgotten with 47,973 posts.

Experience: Getting somewhere I hope
19-Jan-2005, 01:58 PM #58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbrey
lo guys.. having some trubble with my windows install and wanted to restore my c drive with a ghost v9 image located on a different drive (not s-ata, detectable in ghost 2003 pc-dos) Well as this reading this whole thread. Im kinda stuck. Cant make a bootable cd. Do not have old kasette drive that u guys call a floppy . Wouldnt it just be so easy to make a cheap img of your working bootable cd's and send out?
Welcome to TSG ebbrey!

This would go much smoother if you start your own new thread with this problem.

Are you saying that you have an imaged HD or not?
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Jan-2005, 06:31 PM #59
Talking Ghost Boot Floppy
If you are using Norton Ghost 2003 and backup directly to cd or dvd if your laptop supports it then the first restore disk automatically becomes bootable. If you need other ideas please e-mail me.

26-Jan-2005, 03:33 PM #60
figured it out
well i fixed my problem so it does not exist anymoore.. many thx for suggestions on this site.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!