Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Norton Ghost Boot disk

(!)

Member with 100 posts.

21-Jan-2004, 02:15 AM #31
Quote:
Originally posted by DVOM:
Just a lucky guess on my part about the floppy. Those things are so unreliable I always make 3 copies of anything important.
Good idea!!
Quote:
As for your last question, if you're willing to waste a couple more CD's, give it a go. ;)
I'm going to - now that I'm on a roll! :-)
Quote:
BTW, if you keep an eye out for CD deals, you can find them for about 6-8 apiece in the 100 stacks. Usually after a rebate.
I'll keep an eye out for rebates! Now that I'm a pro, I could be burning lots of things!! :-) :-)

Thanks again, DVOM!
Senior Member with 2,056 posts.

21-Jan-2004, 02:20 AM #32
DVOM - you've created a monster!
Member with 100 posts.

21-Jan-2004, 02:36 AM #33
Quote:
Originally posted by jbcalg:
DVOM - you've created a monster!
LOL!!! Partly your fault (credit) too, you know!!!

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Damsel; 21-Jan-2004 at 02:55 AM..
Junior Member with 1 posts.

28-Jan-2004, 04:02 PM #34
Lightbulb Possible easy Solution
Hello, I found this post while trying to solve the same problem. I have a new laptp with no floppy drive and I need to create a ghost image that is bootable.

I used the option to create an image directly to a CD-R. After the computer rebooted, ghost ran and imaged my C: drive onto 6 CD-Rs. I then inserted the 1st cd and rebooted to see what would happen and voila the first CD was made bootable and contained the Ghost applcation to perform a restore. It also let me browse to a directory if needed.

I almost went throught the painstaking process of creating a bootable CD with Ghost configured. This really should be better documented. Hope this helps.

Jay
Computer Specs
Moderator - Gone but never forgotten with 47,973 posts.

Experience: Getting somewhere I hope
28-Jan-2004, 04:11 PM #35
Kewl
Member with 100 posts.

28-Jan-2004, 06:32 PM #36
Re: Possible easy Solution
Hi Jay
Quote:
Originally posted by johare:
and voila the first CD was made bootable and contained the Ghost applcation to perform a restore. It also let me browse to a directory if needed.
That's great to know!

Thanks very much!

15-Apr-2004, 11:35 AM #37
hi all,

I just bought a sony vaio laptop and i configured the operating system and all needed software application. I wanted to create a ghost image of the machine on bootable cd-r disc. so, if the machine o/s corrupt, I could get it back up very soon.

I don't want to go through the painstaking process of creating a bootable CD with Ghost configured. Then upload the client image to the server, then burning the image to cd while trying to make it bootable. This is very time consumming.

Does anyone knows if a ghost image can made from that same sony laptop.
I have ghost 7.5 and it comes with ghost server, ghost explorer and ghost boot wizard.

I just wanted to create a bootable ghost image directly from that sony laptop. Is there a way to do that.

thanks
nick
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

15-Apr-2004, 08:29 PM #38
You can create the GHOST boot floppy with network support, and then GHOST directly to another networked computer. I do this regularly...

20-Apr-2004, 01:30 PM #39
Hello all,

read with great interest. As my Notebook doesn't have either FDD nor CD, is there a way to boot from CF-Card. If Yes, please tell how to make the same kind of copy from FDD to CF. I have an Asus S200N, which claims to be able to boot from removable disc (like the CF-Card).

thanks
Ruud
Junior Member with 6 posts.

26-May-2004, 02:11 PM #40
Ghost Book Disk
Norton Ghost automatically makes any CD you create an image on as bootable. Now if you do not need to store the image on cd then you may be out of luck, but you can always do this.

use your cd-buring software to make a cd bootable and copy the ghost.exe file to the cd. Make sure you include the cd drivers to access your cd rom.
Most cd-burning software allows you to create a bootdisk. I have nero and this is an option.

EC
Junior Member with 3 posts.

10-Aug-2004, 10:11 PM #41
Xp And Ghost Restore Floppies
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVOM
I've got a Ghost boot floppy burned to a CD.

First make the Ghost boot floppy, then using Nero or other burn software choose to make a bootable data CD. It'll tell you to put your boot floppy in the drive. Put the Ghost floppy in. You don't need to put any other data on the CD.

Then burn it. No files will show on the final CD in windows explorer so don't worry about that.

Works great.
GHOST 2003 makes two floppies. I don't have a floppy drive on my XP,but have one on my old ME2000. Produced those floppies on the ME 2000,but could not get them onto a CD to make a ghost bootable restore CD ROM that would work on my XP. I used Nero Express.
Appreciate your comments.

Milton
Dallas, Texas

10-Aug-2004, 10:18 PM #42
Bootable CD Rom to restore Ghost backup on XP System
Ghost 2003 (Norton Systems 2004) creates TWO floppies. I used Nero Express to make ONE CD out of this, but could not come up with a CD that would work. My XP does not have a floppy drive, but I was able to create the floppies on my ME2000, so HAD the floppies, and I have NERO, but I could not get it to work.

Anybody but a "lunkhead" like me could add a floppy drive to his computer, but I cringe at the thought of getting into the case.

Appreciate further guidance.

Milton
Dallas, TX
Member with 1,690 posts.

10-Aug-2004, 10:23 PM #43
I just make the standard ghost boot disk and it makes only one disk. I'm using Ghost 2003.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

11-Aug-2004, 08:44 AM #44
You need to use the first disk of the set to make the CD bootable, then burn the GHOST.EXE program to the ISO portion of the CD. You'll need to edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files to have CD support after the CD boots, then you can access the rest of the CD. I haven't done this with GHOST, but I've created several MS-DOS bootable CD's with lots of stuff on the ISO file-system that is accessable after I boot the CD.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Oct-2004, 11:11 PM #45
Hi DVOM,

I followed ur instructions below to create a :

I've got a Ghost boot floppy burned to a CD.

First make the Ghost boot floppy, then using Nero or other burn software choose to make a bootable data CD. It'll tell you to put your boot floppy in the drive. Put the Ghost floppy in. You don't need to put any other data on the CD.

Then burn it. No files will show on the final CD in windows explorer so don't worry about that.

Works great.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!