Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Yahoo Messenger Isn't Showing Up in System Tray

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,207 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-May-2004, 04:14 PM #1
Yahoo Messenger Isn't Showing Up in System Tray
Hi everyone. I have the latest version of Yahoo Messenger on my Windows XP Professional computer. Anyway, it is set to load at startup but many times it does not show up in the system tray. I notice that it is connected while I am on the Internet but the icon is not showing up in the System Tray. It doesn't even show up when I expand the System Tray to show the hidden icons. Why isn't Yahoo's icon showing up? Can anyone help me to make it reappear? I'd greatly appreciate any help you can provide.
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

06-May-2004, 01:52 AM #2
Hi Holly3278, I think you have to initiate this action,by minimizing to tray,but rather than go through it all if you click on this Site it is all explained for you officially so to speak http://www.actualtools.com/titlebutt...er_tools.shtml let me know if it works ok if you will ......good luck
Computer Specs
Member with 1,207 posts.

06-May-2004, 02:25 AM #3
Hey Telecom. Thanks for the website. I checked it out but it didn't seem to help me out any so I went to my last resort, uninstalling Yahoo Messenger and redownloading and reinstalling it. Fortunately for me, I didn't have to do all that. When I got to the Uninstall screen for Yahoo Messenger I noticed that it had an option to repair the program so I tried it out to see what it would do. I tried that out and then restarted the computer and it seems like Yahoo Messenger is now working like it is supposed to again. Of course I'll have to wait for a while before I know for sure if it is working like it's supposed to again. But thanks for the advice anyway! I appreciate it!
Computer Specs

06-May-2004, 03:18 AM #4
Ok Holly glad you seem to have got it fixed,maybe it was just a glitch in the download ....good luck...take care
Computer Specs
Member with 1,207 posts.

06-May-2004, 03:20 AM #5
Yeah I am thinking that somehow one of the files became corrupted or something. If the problem shows up again I'll probably be back. Thanks again!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,207 posts.

06-May-2004, 06:17 PM #6
UGH! It seems the problem has returned...
Computer Specs

07-May-2004, 01:44 AM #7
Hi Holly,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You sure you don't have the Windows XP "Hide Inactive Icons" option enabled? (Right click on your toolbar and choose "Properties" (it's at the bottom).....and if your toolbar is "locked" then you might not get the little arrow to show the icon in your system tray, thus when you "re-enable" it, you are essentially making it active, thus it's not inactive anymore and now it shows........

Check that first......
Computer Specs
Member with 1,207 posts.

07-May-2004, 11:34 AM #8
I do have that option enabled but that is not the problem. I know this because you can find any hidden icons by expanding the System Tray. So, I expand it and the Yahoo Messenger icon still isn't there. Not only that but in the settings for the Task Bar I have even tried to set Yahoo Messenger to always show but even that does not work. This is obviously some sort of registry, dll, or other configuration file error.
Computer Specs

07-May-2004, 11:04 PM #9
Hi Holly, I found this quote in another forum on the subject

Note that Windows XP automatically hides unused system tray icons. Disable this 'feature' by right clicking on any blank area in the system tray, select properties, and un-check the Hide inactive icons option.

There are also some known issues regarding system tray icons disappearing and the uPNP service under XP. To correct the problem you can either password protect your login account, or use a utility such as 'UnPlug n'Pray' at http://grc.com/freepopular.htm (highly recommended

If you get no joy from this,the only thing is to uninstall and reinstall the messenger as far as I can see
Computer Specs
Member with 1,207 posts.

07-May-2004, 11:12 PM #10
Ok, I tried disabling the option you told me about before and it didn't work before but I tried it again just to make sure that it wasn't causing problems. I downloaded that UnPlug n'Pray utility you told me about and disabled the service in Windows. I am going to restart and see if the icon comes back. If it does, I won't post back unless the problem reappears. If it doesn't come back, I'll post back again. Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 1,207 posts.

07-May-2004, 11:21 PM #11
Well, I restarted and for some reason Yahoo Messenger didn't even load at startup. At least if it did, it wasn't showing up in the System Tray at all. I checked to make sure it wasn't hidden and it wasn't hid. It just simply wasn't anywhere in the System Tray. This is weird because I ran msconfig to make sure that YPager was in the startup and it was. I am not sure if Yahoo Messenger has been loading at all during startup but I figured that this additional information might be useful to you. Looks like we'll have to continue to look for more solutions to the problem. I thank you for your patience and hope you'll continue to help me out until we can get this solved. I am considering a format of my hard drive though because my computer has exhibited another strange problem that I can't seem to fix. Every once in a while the screensaver will come on for 1 or 2 seconds and then immediately go right back off. Later after it has reached the specified amount of idle time, the screensaver comes on and stays on like it's supposed to. Anyway, I'm not looking for a solution to that problem in this thread. Let's stick to the Yahoo Messenger problem. Do you think that I might have a registry problem or something?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!