Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Outlook Express - out of mem / low disk space

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Oct-2004, 10:37 AM #1
Unhappy Outlook Express - out of mem / low disk space
pulling my hair out, what's left, with a problem on my bro in laws PC. outlook express - the one that came with IE 6 - frequently comes up with "low disk space - out of memory" - it did this before I re-did his PC. His old PC had 4 gig HD, 156k ram. His "new" pc - has a different but same size HD (4 gig), 190k RAM, different motherboard/CPU (pent 2 / 233mhz), newly installed WIN 98 updated with IE 6. The lowdisk space/memory problem came back. There is PLENTY of disk space. Windows is managing the memory as recommended. With the problem coming back, the only thing I can think of is a bigger hard drive? (CPU won't recognize a 40 gig) OR perhaps dumping IE 6 and trying to find and load IE 5 ? Is very frustrating. There are NO viruses. Suggestions? Thanks - BD
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

10-Oct-2004, 11:00 AM #2
Is this the complete message??

"Outlook Express could not open the folder. Possible causes are: Low disk space. Low memory"

Do a find for *.DBX and ensure that the files are NOT set to be readonly.

If these are ok, it could be a corrupted Outbox. Do the following to rename the Outbox.dbx file:

Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
In the Named box, type Outbox.dbx.
In the Look in box, click your primary hard disk (usually drive C), and then click Find Now.
Right-click the Outbox.dbx file that appears, and then click Rename.
Type Outbox.old, and then click OK.
Restart Outlook Express which will rebuild the Outbox.dbx file.

***In both cases, ensure that Outlook is not running.

10-Oct-2004, 02:07 PM #3
Yes, that was the error message. My bro in law called me this morning saying that he could not get into OE at all. He is also running the trial version of trend-micro INTERNET SECURITY that scans incoming email. He was also running IE at the time. I had him re-start the PC. Told him NOT to start anything else other than OE. (INTERNET SECURITY loads at boot-up) It worked. He got into OE fine, was able to navigate no problem. He lives 200 miles from me so it makes it tough to troubleshoot his pc except on visits. He has limited knowledge of windows - could possible coach him over phone to do the "DBX" deal if problems persist. Thanks! - BD
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2004, 09:38 AM #4
It would certainly appear that the issue is with Trend's Mail Scan.

12-Oct-2004, 06:09 PM #5
TrendMicro
I had thought it might be TrendMicro, but the anti-virus he was running before was Macafee. Same problem. Short of finding bro-in-law a newer CPU, bigger hard drive - am stumped.
Computer Specs

12-Oct-2004, 08:15 PM #6
But, even though he had the same problem before with McAfee, did he also have email scanning?

I presume, from your previous post, that once email scanning was disabled, everything is working OK? Because, if that's so, a newer, bigger, faster PC is just going to get the same issue "faster". (unless you do a complete install from square one, which most likely will make the problem disappear)

If it IS only with email scanning, just disable it. BUT, ensure that you have the "autoprotect" option set (meaning the AV is always running).
Then, if an attachment is actually opened, the autoprotect will detect it as opposed to the email scan. But, in the end, an infection will be stopped.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!