Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can't uninstall Advanced System Optimizer.

(!)

Member with 27 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Dec-2004, 12:34 PM #1
Solved: Can't uninstall Advanced System Optimizer.
Hi all, I am trying, without success, to uninstall a program called Advanced System Optimizer v 2.01.2. I have tried using the programs own uninstall feature, Add/remove Programs and in Safe Mode, but all have failed.
On all occasions I get to the 'Re-boot your computer' stage, but when my PC has re-booted I'm presented with a window asking for my Win98 product key. When I click on ok, after I've entered the key I get an error message saying :
Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module. EXPLORER>EXE at 01cf:0040if31. and the computer will be shut down. If I retry after a re-boot the process is repeated. I have had to revert my drive with GoBack on four occasions in order to get my PC up and running again. I have emailed Systweak, who make the program, but they have not responded.
Any help would be appreciated. My OS is Win98SE. Cheers. rim rim
Member with 227 posts.

Experience: Learning more all the time
01-Jan-2005, 03:01 AM #2
Go to www.ccleaner.com and download Crap Cleaner. After install, open program, select TOOLS from the top right, highlight the troublesome program, then hit RUN UNINSTALLER at the top right. Hope this helps, Todd.
Member with 27 posts.

01-Jan-2005, 02:58 PM #3
Thanks for your suggestion TODDSYR, I've just downloaded Ccleaner and it looks like a useful little program. Just before I read your post I'd managed to pick up a registry hack which got rid of ASO, but many thanks for your reply.
Anyone thinking of trying out Advanced System Optimizer, DON'T, it was rubbish. Cheers. rim rim
Member with 227 posts.

Experience: Learning more all the time
02-Jan-2005, 12:02 AM #4
Your welcome, rim rim. Glad things worked out for you. If you would, please post the registry hack that solved your problem, then others will know how to fix the same problem. Another thing that you should do, find the THREAD TOOLS on this page, then select SOLVED. That way everyone will see the problem you had, and know there's a solution in the thread. Many will appreciate that. Todd.
Member with 27 posts.

06-Jan-2005, 12:00 PM #5
Please excuse the delay in replying to your post toddsyr, the 'Hack' that resolved my problem is listed below and came from, carolj on the Annoyances forum. The process below might well be routine for you and more experienced members, but, not having done much registry editing myself, I was a little apprehensive when doing it. I first deleted all files and folders relating to ASO from the Program Folder, Explorer and the Desktop, then edited the registry as below:

Go to Start - Run - type: Regedit Press Enter or click OK. On the toolbar
- click Registry - Export registry file. In the Window that opens, where it says
'Export Range', make sure "All" is ticked. In the named box, type: backup
In the "Save In" window with the drop down menu - Select Desktop. Choose Save.

This will export the entire Registry file to your desktop. (In case you make a mistake
or there's a problem, you'd be able to 'merge' the file back into the registry).
You can delete it, once you know there's no problem. Save it for a few reboots.

Then choose Edit on the toolbar - Find - In Find what, type: {name of file} Be sure
to type it correctly. It'll start the search, and when it stops, a key or value will
be highlighted. Right click and choose delete (or hit the delete key). Continue the
search by pressing the F3 key. Proceed the same way, until you get a message
that the search is finished. Then follow the same instructions to search for the
next word or name, etc. Be sure to type it exactly as instructed, if you're following
removal instructions. Close and Reboot for the changes to have effect.
-------------------------------------------

I finished up by searching and cleaning the registry with REGSEEKER.
I hope other less experienced members find the above useful. rim rim
ps, I have listed my post as Resolved.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!