Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

3 Button Emulation for Windows?

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Jan-2005, 02:30 AM #1
3 Button Emulation for Windows?
I was wondering if there was anything like the 3 button emulation I've gotten so used to in Linux available for Windows. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it effectively adds a third button to a two button mouse by sending a middle click when you press both buttons at once. I've become quite dependent on it after spending so much time in Linux, so any help would be much appreciated.

Getting a mouse with 3 buttons isn't an option for me since I have a laptop and don't want to haul a mouse around everywhere.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,856 posts.

16-Jan-2005, 07:38 AM #2
I think Logitech Mouseware does that. I can't be absolutely certain cause mine all have three, but I seem to remember it used to.
Senior Member with 786 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
16-Jan-2005, 03:45 PM #3
I have just acquired a second PC running XP Pro and it came with a 3-button mouse. Quite frankly I am at a loss to know what to do with the centre button (I wish it had a scroll wheel instead). Can you enlighten me?

johnni
Member with 5,654 posts.

16-Jan-2005, 06:55 PM #4
My Logitech mouse has three buttons and the middle one does doubleclicks if pressed once.

It might be able to do other things, but I haven't attempted to find out what (if anything).
Member with 2,310 posts.

16-Jan-2005, 08:29 PM #5
A third button, or actually any button, can be programmed to perform just about any task you may want IF YOU have the correct driver. If your driver doesn't give you the option then some other party software can probably give you want you want.

Googling for "third button" mouse freeware
I found:
Quote:
Cool Mouse 97 2.1
Can't find much use for that middle mouse button? Cool Mouse keeps it busy, letting it do everything from a simple double-click to scrolling the active window. If you have a two-button mouse, you can emulate a third button by pressing the Scroll Lock key and the right mouse button.
I am sure there are others.

16-Jan-2005, 11:34 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnni
I have just acquired a second PC running XP Pro and it came with a 3-button mouse. Quite frankly I am at a loss to know what to do with the centre button (I wish it had a scroll wheel instead). Can you enlighten me?

johnni
I guess I don't use it for much of anything other than Firefox, but it's still very useful. In Firefox, the middle button will open the link under the cursor in a new tab instead of whatever it wants to do by default. It will also close a tab if you middle click on it.

Most apps will also use it to scroll, middle click once and it'll scroll up if you move the mouse above where you clicked and down if you move below.

I installed MouseWare, but I didn't see anything about 3 button emulation. It has options to change what each button does, but no emulation.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,856 posts.

17-Jan-2005, 04:49 AM #7
Quote:
I installed MouseWare, but I didn't see anything about 3 button emulation. It has options to change what each button does, but no emulation.

Was it a two button mouse you were using?

17-Jan-2005, 03:16 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBurnett
Was it a two button mouse you were using?
Well, it has the two normal buttons and two scroll buttons. It's missing the button that would normally be under the scroll wheel.
Senior Member with 786 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Jan-2005, 02:36 PM #9
I have experimented and I find that in Word and Excel the middle button can be used to scroll, so I am pleased to have found that out!

johnni
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!