Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Open .DAT file

(!)

Member with 208 posts.

02-Feb-2000, 02:12 PM #1
I received a e-mail w/attachment of file called "winmail.dat" my coworker said he created in old version of WordPerfect. However I cannot open this file, it will be all garbage. I tried changing to the extension .doc & .wpd still did'nt work. The file has a wordpad icon (pen and paper icon). any suggestions on converting this .dat file. thanks.
Senior Member with 503 posts.

02-Feb-2000, 07:38 PM #2
Try opening the .dat file with Microsoft Excel. I have opened many dat files with it and could read most of what was in the file. Other times it is complete garble, though.

------------------
NormanSmiley
My Page
Get paid to surf the net!
Member with 208 posts.

03-Feb-2000, 02:48 PM #3
Did not work. I've tried everything but, nothing seems to work. I will have the sender send me a hardcopy.

Thanks for your help!
Member with 202 posts.

03-Feb-2000, 07:20 PM #4
It's not free but Quick View Plus can handle WordPerfect files through vers. 8.0. You can get a free 30 day demo download from www.jasc.com
Computer Specs
Member with 11,731 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Feb-2000, 11:28 PM #5
My boyfriend used to do that to me. Somehow, he would attach a message, and not a document. Hence, I can never read either! I would ask your friend to either forward the message or detach the file to his hard drive and email you with that document attached. I'm not sure what how they do it.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Aug-2004, 06:11 AM #6
how can i open dat file it cannot open in Notepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton
I received a e-mail w/attachment of file called "winmail.dat" my coworker said he created in old version of WordPerfect. However I cannot open this file, it will be all garbage. I tried changing to the extension .doc & .wpd still did'nt work. The file has a wordpad icon (pen and paper icon). any suggestions on converting this .dat file. thanks.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Dec-2004, 11:45 PM #7
Open Office works, Too
After seeing the response that recommended using Excel, I gave Open Office a try and it worked like a charm for me. And it's free! Go to http://www.openoffice.org

Good Luck.

14-Apr-2005, 11:39 AM #8
Open .dat file
Tried the things below and none of them worked. Then I did the following and was able to get my attachment within 30 seconds.
Save the attachment to a folder

Download WMDecode from biblet.freeserve.co.uk/Download/WMDecode.zip

Unzip the file into the folder containing the attachment

Drag the winmail.dat file onto the WMDecode.exe file to extract the attachments

Good luck!
Couriant   (James) Couriant is offline Couriant is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Trusted Advisor with 30,871 posts.

14-Apr-2005, 11:44 AM #9
I think it's his email account. I seen some email accounts send it as a DAT for some reason.

Ask your co-worker to send the original file through another email client like Hotmail if they can.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

14-Apr-2005, 02:25 PM #10
Many times, you'll get a .DAT file from outlook.

What is a winmail.dat file?

The Winmail.dat file is used to preserve the format that is included in the sending client's message which may not be recognized by the receiving client. In the case of Outlook, the Winmail.dat file includes Rich Text Formatting (RTF) instructions. This type of formatting is used with the Microsoft Outlook Rich Text Format and Microsoft Word as an e-mail editor. you can find the program to extract the files at http://www.magicwinmail.net/download/tools/wmparser.zip.

Experience: Beginner
24-May-2005, 02:23 PM #11
dat files
Hello - I am new to this tech site, but I too had received some photos through a dat file. I got them open with my windows picture and fax viewer. Don't know if that helps anyone now, but that's what I found out.
Member with 2,310 posts.

24-May-2005, 04:29 PM #12
WINMAIL.DAT file, as JohnWill mentioned, are not necessarily the file you think it is. Some mail tools and/or servers will attach a WINMAIL.DAT file that may be nothing more than your email data (To, From, Date, Subject, Body, servers passed through, etc.) .

Just use Notepad to open the WINMAIL.DAT to see what sort of data is there. If it was created by a major application, like Word, Excel, WordPerfect, etc. then you should see some information near the beginning of the file that says something like that there.

If it is, as I suspect, just the email data and not your expected attachment, then you can ignore it.
If it is your expected attachment then try to change the extension to that proper extension.

If you notice that the file is a lot of "gobbly-gook" but also that just about every line has the exact number of characters (typically 64 or 65 characters) with never a space character on all those fixed length lines, then your file has been encoded for mail transmittal. There are many mail encoding schemes (Base64, uue, MIME, BinHex being the more popular ones), and you might see if there are any words near the top of the file that might give you a clue as to what encoding method was used.

By the way, if it is a mail encoded file, you might try an uncompressor (like WinZip) which can decode several encoding methods. You can first try to see if you can direct the uncompressor to the saved WINMAIL.DAT file. But if you don't know how to do that, then just try to rename the file to WINMAIL.UUE or even WINMAIL.ZIP. I have had that work for me, sometimes. If that opens the file, then extract the file inside to a safe place on your hard drive.

Good luck.

25-May-2005, 12:15 AM #13
how to converted with BinHex 4.0 ?? i hav download the software..but cant install..just a zip file..after unzip just hav some file..and cant install.hav any idea?
Member with 2,310 posts.

25-May-2005, 03:47 AM #14
BinHex, the program, is a program that runs on Macintosh. You won't get it to run on an unmodified PC (PC meaning a Windows-type of computer). Programs that run on a Mac do not require file extensions like a PC does. So, do not expect .EXE (and less commonly a few others) extensions to be there. And adding .EXE to a Mac program is not going to make it run on a PC either. Programs for Macs are different than what is required for PCs.

BinHex, the format, is a format that is popular in the Macintosh world. BinHex files will have an extension of .HQX (or less used .HEX).

BinHex, MIME, Base64, UUE, XXE, (and there are others) are encoding schemes that convert files that might have unsendable (like for over email systems) non-ASCII characters into common ASCII characters. This IS NOT a compressing scheme. In fact these encoding schemes make the files LARGER! Using an uncompressing tool like WinZip to unencode these encoded files might give you the idea that these BinHex, MIME, Base64, UUE, XXE (etc.) files are compressed. They are not. It is just an extra ability of those uncompressing tools to be also capable of decoding (or translating) such encoded files back to their pre-encoded form.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

27-Jun-2007, 12:56 PM #15
Excel shall do
Excel 2007 shall do fine. I guess olde excel will open .dat as well.
I just hadnled a .dat document with excel.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!