Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

NAV 2005, Live update errors LU1806 & LU1812

(!)

Member with 5,633 posts.

30-Aug-2005, 02:40 PM #46
tender38,

If your version of NAV shows definitions dated August 26 (for Live Update) or August 30 (for Intelligent Updater) and you have no other error messages, it would appear that you are 'good to go' as they say in the US!

I had no difficulty at all in understanding your post, so there is no need to excuse your English.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Sep-2005, 03:58 PM #47
LU1806 & LU1812
Hello to you all
Install all Symantec (Norton) products immedietly after XP SP2-installation - before updating Win XP SP2. I believe that The Microsoft Frame Network files are the reason why LU1806 and 1812 occours
God Luck to you all with The installations...

Experience: Beginner
22-Sep-2006, 05:08 PM #48
Angry Ah SYmantec no help and I also have a trojan virus!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reghu
I had this same problem for almost 2 weeks, doing just about everything that could be done (following everything on the net, and also whatever bits Symantec keeps sending back to me to try). I kept coming back to this thread hoping someone wud have found a solution...

I had tried all combinations, like a clean formatted machine (since it was a new Dell machine, I had the "luxury" of that option), I tried installing with and without SP 1, SP2 (XP Pro)... and NONE worked. I kept getting that 759Kb to update, and the same errors LU1806 and LU1812.

Symantec also had asked me to wait for some time for their LiveUpdate servers to solve this problem... and eventually, what "solved" this for me was the following:-

NAV 2005, the antivirus engine I had was 11.5.0.42 and it was OEM with my new Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. Symantec finally sent me (shipped me a CD) an updated antivirus engine (11.5.6.14) and I installed (after properly removing old installation), and all was fine!!!

On a side note, just before installing this updated engine, I noticed that LiveUpdate stopped giving me the LU1806 and LU1812 errors. But that, I think was just a BS measure from Symantec purposely removing the selection of the AV Engine Update, thereby "removing" the errors. That probably is just sidestepping the problem, without actually solving it.

I hope this was helpful (as much as all your posts had been to me)... the main problem might be that Dell (as I saw in most cases here) is shipping an older version of the engine, and symantec cannot update the files of this particular update 11.5.0 to 11.5.6.
So, I'm having exactly the same problem as Reghu. I contacted Symantec and first they told me to do obvious things like reinstall etc..But I also currently have a 'Trojan.spaxe' virus, the one that tells you that your computer is infected in a pop-up window, all the time..and when I revealed that to the Symantec guy, he said I needed to get rid of the virus and thata would fix the Live Update problem, but according to the symantec web instructions on how to lose yourself the trojan, I need to have completed Liveupdate, which obviously won't work properly. Thus Aah! I have tried everything I can think of. The last past of the instructions to get rid of the trojan involve editing the registry, but I can't find the Subkey which they say the trojan will have dropped.

What do I do?!!
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Advanced
26-Mar-2007, 04:49 PM #49
March 26th 2007 and I'm also plagued by this annoying LU1812 SyKnapps module when I run LiveUpdate in NIS 2007. You would think that they would have a better help file than "Sorry, better luck next time, uninstall and re-install".

Well, I've done that and dozens of suggestions from all over the web and I still get it. The virus definitions come in fine so that is <some> comfort. It's too bad Jamesnwatson did not give an update on the suggestion from Polak. I'm fed up of going through the hoops and don't really want to go through all that if it doesn't work.

26-Mar-2007, 06:58 PM #50
Well, I tried everything Polak suggested and still LU1812 on SyKnapps Module.

Junior Member with 7 posts.

28-Mar-2007, 07:40 PM #51
Glad I'm not the only one having trouble with the syknapps update not installing!!

Tried every solution I've come across while searching the net about said problem, even went as far as to wipe the hard drive & re-install just xp pro, drivers for motherboard & video & then installed norton antivirus 2007 but I still got the lu1812 error with the syknapps module

28-Mar-2007, 10:17 PM #52
Thanks for the heads up Amigafan, you've just saved me a ton of work for nothing.

Did you have service pack 2 installled?

I have XP Home by the way, so it's not limitted to one version.

28-Mar-2007, 10:23 PM #53
One thing that really p*sses me off is that this error has come up for over 2 years now and Norton still hasn't come up with a better diagnostic than "tough luck sucker, better luck next time".

I'm a programmer by trade and when you get something like this the 1st thing you do is spit out some information to help debug the problem. If you can't determine the problem, at least dump some key information, identify exactly WHERE in the code that the error is happening, ANYTHING. But no, they STILL just give a generic hasta-la-vista error.

Pretty sad.

29-Mar-2007, 07:54 AM #54
I've never bothered asking symantec about the failed installation of syknapps module, after searching online I can see it would be a waste of time to contact them

Only thing that concerns me is how much protection NAV2007 is giving me without that update being applied, as far as I can tell the virus protection & internet worm protection is functioning ok, so I wonder what that syknapps module does in nav??

If it deals with adware & spyware protection then I'm not too worried about it not updating as I have Ad-aware & Spybot to deal with those threats.

You say you've been having the problem for 2 years I hope it doesn't take Symantec another 2 years to tell us how to fix the problem

P.S. I am running service pack 2, I created a slipstreamed installation cd with it already applied to save time whenever I need to re-install XP
Computer Specs

04-Apr-2007, 12:43 AM #55
SyKnapps Module & LU1812
I have an Error while doing Live Update on 6 different PC's all running WinXPsp2 and NIS2007 (Norton Internet Security 2007).

They asked me to use the Norton Removal tool which completely removes the product and reinstall. To no avail I still have SyKnapps Module failing LiveUpdate. If I uncheck the SyKnapps Module during LiveUpdate, the other items will update just fine. But if I leave SyKnapps checked to be updated or am set for automatic unattended updates, then LiveUpdate will fail and all updates will not work.

I was told they have a problem at their end. Please everyone who has this problem telephone them at: North America: (800) 927-3991 and U.K : 44 (0)20-7616-5813 .

I finally convinced support that I don't have a problem, they do. They told me to call back in 24-48 hours. So I did, they asked me to uninstall and reinstall again. Then they offered me my money back. I told them that wasn't a good answer. Then they asked me to phone back in two weeks and hopefully they get a resolution.

Please ... everyone who has this problem, telephone support, it's free.

Good Luck and Hopefully Symantec will figure it out.

08-Apr-2007, 12:02 AM #56
Quote:
Originally Posted by amigafan

You say you've been having the problem for 2 years I hope it doesn't take Symantec another 2 years to tell us how to fix the problem

P.S. I am running service pack 2, I created a slipstreamed installation cd with it already applied to save time whenever I need to re-install XP

Nope, not me, but I'm seeing posts on the web that go back at least to 2005. I only started having this a few weeks ago on a LiveUpdate, been going on ever since.

I'm also trying to set myself with an image DVD in case of failure. I have 8 PCs on my home network and it's time to reformat at least 6 of them. Instead of doing one every 6 months or so like I've been doing, I'm going to invest some time into getting 2 DVD images; Win XP Home with SP2 and Win XP Pro with SP2.

I hope to be able to save some time and only have to install separately Office and other software on the appropriate PCs. My 3 daugthers, wife, email & surf desktop, laptop, gamer and dev PCs all have different configurations. I have my work cut out for me, but once I come up with an efficient technique, I know I'll save time in the long run.

08-Apr-2007, 12:13 AM #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekMaster
.... Then they asked me to phone back in two weeks and hopefully they get a resolution....

Then I guess we better circle April 18th on our calendars. I don't put much hope on it though, they've been slacking off on this issue for TWO YEARS!!! I'm a programmer by trade and that is just unheard of from where I come.

I can appreciate everyone having different configurations, that's the PC life, but darn, start putting out diagnostic messages in the LiveUpdates to try to track down the problem. I'm sure many of us would be more than happy to use a reporting back feature like MS uses to try to fix this bug. It's not like it's hard to click on a SEND DUMP button.

I know some bugs can be VERY hard to track down, but I've seen ZERO effort from Symantec. Just look at their support page for LU1812, it is totally useless. Shoot, they even offerred to give you your money back and let their arms drop, that is just miserable support.

I don't want my money back either. I don't want to switch to another product, I've been buying Norton since day #1 and I rely on them to keep my assets and information secure.

08-Apr-2007, 01:06 AM #58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekMaster
... Please everyone who has this problem telephone them at: North America: (800) 927-3991 and U.K : 44 (0)20-7616-5813 .[/B]...

Well, I did just that and after the required LONG wait, I got a very nice tech to help me out. He made me run the Intelligent Updater and says to wait 24 hours before trying LiveUpdate again to test the results. The date for my virus definitions is now April 7, 2007, I didn't notice what it was before running the tool. Get many other tools here:

Symantec Tools

I have no idea if this will fix my problem,I've tried so many things I don't know if I tried this one. Anyways, I'll know in 24 hours.

13-Apr-2007, 05:31 AM #59
SyKnApps-Update-Problem may be solved ... try this ...
Hi,

we had a great Discussion for more than three weeks in Germany, because of the SyKnApps-Update-Problem. Lots of users have been concerned.

So, today one user brought a solution, which solved the problem in our workgroup-network with six pc's.

Procedure:

1.) Reset the former changed Environment-Variables TEMP & TMP (User & System) to the default preset (c:\windows\temp)
2.) Reboot your system
3.) Perform a LiveUpdate
4.) Problem with SyKnApps-Update should be solved

Notice the stupid behaviour of Symantec-World-Wide-Support and check other security software before you buy your next update.

Thanks to the gloabl community, esp. an unknown japanese guy, who figured out this solution.

Hope, this was useful.

Bye

Ralph
Kerpen / Germany

13-Apr-2007, 06:36 AM #60
Well that would explain it for sure, as I have moved both system & user temp folders to a seperate partition, along with the pagefile, to stop the windows partition getting cluttered with temp files.

Will move them back and re-install nav2007, I went back to 2005 edition because of the update problems
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!