Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hp Pavilion 760N Recovery cd?

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Nov-2005, 03:02 PM #1
Question Hp Pavilion 760N Recovery cd?
I am new to the forums and wanted to say hello to everyone. My son got a hp pavilion 760N as a gift from his grandmother, but there was no restore cd's, hp doesn't make them, as they were supposed to be on the harddrive, but the harddrive was replaced and there are no restore cd's on there. My question is does anyone know where I can obtain the restore cd's or how to go about getting a copy of the disks. I really want to get this pc up and running for him, it is his first pc and he is 10 and anxious to play with it. Thanks for any and all help.
Tim
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,412 posts.

06-Nov-2005, 08:57 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80bronco94
.... there was no restore cd's, hp doesn't make them, as they were supposed to be on the harddrive, but the harddrive was replaced .... Tim
I think you're wrong here.
First - some questions ....
Does the tower have a Serial Number ?
Does the tower have the Micosoft software product code sticker ?
Is the system working good Now ?
Do you have an External Hard drive ?

The specs on the 760n says it comes with W-XP.
What OS does it have now ?

06-Nov-2005, 09:17 PM #3
Yes, It does sorry,
SN : MX20507810
System # P6320A
Pavilion 760N
It does have Microsoft PID Sticker on the side of the case. It is a W-XP HE sticker.
The system does not have an OS on it, New harddrive was installed prior to us getting it, but no OS was reinstalled on it. No external harddrive. I spent an hour online with a hp tech and he told me that the restore cd is no longer made for this system, but that it originally was on the harddrive. I am not so worried about the OS as I am about the software that was installed. I don't have any software for the DVD-Rom, CD burner, Etc. Thanks for the help.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

06-Nov-2005, 10:11 PM #4
I'm surprise HP said that ... on the other hand, I've heard some crazy things from them.
Your in Luck - since you have the model Serial Number.

First step ... See here .... option 2
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...cname=bph07143
This say's you can.
Let us Know what happens.

PS ... Welcome to the forum.
Caution - It can be habit forming.

06-Nov-2005, 10:22 PM #5
It's a no-go, Here's what I got......
http://h20141.www2.hp.com/hpparts/Se...8FKA0H4AR34R49
basically I was told that without the original harddrive I would have to look at ebay or the like and maybe get lucky on finding a set of disks. Unless someone has this same computer and can create a set of these recovery disk's, I am up a creek.
Thanks for the help.
Tim
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,393 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Nov-2005, 10:41 PM #6
Tim:

You're beating your head against the wall with trying to obtain a restore/recovery CD from HP. They quit including one with a new computer a long time ago. What they do now is install the restore/recovery files on a separate partition in the hard drive. It's then the owner's responsibility to burn those files to a CD-R and create your own restore/recovery CD.

You should consider buying a full version XP SP2 CD for that computer, then install the operating system from scratch.
(Note: If you happen to have a 98/98SE CD or a ME CD on hand, you can get away with buying an upgrade version XP SP2 CD - which will save you $90 - $100)

----------------------------------------------------------------

06-Nov-2005, 10:44 PM #7
Yeah, that's what I have concluded, but not knowing what software came with the bundle, I would like to try and obtain a copy of them, just in case. This is for my son to do school work, play games and watch movies with. Thanks again for all the insight .
Computer Specs

06-Nov-2005, 10:54 PM #8
You can order the CDs .. at least I can on my new one ... and did on my older HP 764n.
There is a class action lawsuit against HP for using a recovery partition.
My HP 764n qualified.

I think the problem might be that you don't have the CD part numbers.
One more try ... it says this ..
"To order HP computer parts and printer parts by phone please call 1-800-227-8164, Monday-Friday, 7:00am to 7:00pm CST.

Don't worry about the software that comes with the bundle.
Most of it is obsolete by now - or just HPs marketing junk.
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2005, 07:53 AM #9
Also ... I have a HP 250y that I bought off ebay.
This tower doesn't have the Serial number or the software product code anymore and didn't have HP's OS loaded.

I called HP and they would not sell me the recovery CDs because I didn't have the HP Serial number.
I can understand this response and it was not a real problem for me anyway.

I think the problem may be .. It's who you are talking to ... what country their in -
and many times .. how good their english is.

If I were you - I'd keep trying, and tell them the dog thought one of your recovery CDs was a bone.
Hopefully - you'll eventually find someone at HP who knows how to help.

07-Nov-2005, 10:23 PM #10
I will try them again on my day off, How do I find out if my pc qualifies under the lawsuit? Is there somewhere I can look it up and find out? Thanks for the help.
Computer Specs

08-Nov-2005, 08:09 AM #11
I could probably find out - but it's too late.
The original purchaser of the Puter probably got the notice of the class action law suit.

After several letters from the law firm ... acknowledging that I qualified -
I got a letter from HP - and it said I had to return the letter.
When I got the letter ... it said it had to be on their desk the next morining for me to participate in the settlement.
Even If I had fired up my personal jet (I wish) - I couldn't have made it in time.
I put that in the Rebate Scam Category.

It also said they would show me how to remove the Recovery Partition.
They were a bit late with this information.
Don't know if there's any money involved - or left over after the Attorneys ...
What do you think ????

Edit ... Found one of them ... I see a HP 760n listed
http://www.crn.com/weblogs/thechart/...l?id=167100945

Excerpt ...
HP has agreed to settle a class-action lawsuit, after the company was faulted for shipping systems to market without recovery CDs.

Last edited by NOYB; 08-Nov-2005 at 08:49 AM..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!