Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Is anyone familiar with a program called Driver Detective

(!)

Member with 3,492 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Nov-2005, 09:12 AM #1
Question Is anyone familiar with a program called Driver Detective
It scans your hard drive via the web for information on your Graphics Controller and Audio Controllers. It then offers a list of Driver downloads to update your system. It says that it is free, with no renewal fee and no download fee.
Member with 1,139 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Nov-2005, 05:03 PM #2
I ran it the other day and then after getting their recommendations, went to their site. I think that the price for getting the drivers that you "need" it cost $29.95. The scan is free but of no value unless you buy their service.

I wrote all of their recommendations down and tried to download each of them manually

It appears that this company might have drivers that I could not find on the manufacturers web sites.

I am really skeptical of this and will not risk $29.95 to find that they don't actually have any drivers for my hardware, most of which is very old and now "orphaned" by the manufacturers.
Member with 3,492 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Nov-2005, 09:32 PM #3
Thanks, Dmullen. You saved me a lot of trouble. I wish that people like that would quit using the "free" word.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,145 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Aug-2006, 06:58 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmullen
I ran it the other day
I took this from the search archives - just a question regarding Driver Detective. Please go to My Computer>Local Disk(C)>Windows>Downloaded Program Files. Open it - is there an ActiveX Control "DriverDetectiveNonMembers.nonmembers" item? I am finding one even after uninstalling Driver Detective and I can't seem to find a way to get rid of it. Just curious if I am the only one having this problem. Thanks.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,857 posts.

Experience: a bit, or is that a byte?
24-Aug-2006, 03:07 AM #5
I bought the program to speed the driver install of customers computers and it works quite well. As a P.R. bonus to the customers that want it I can install the full version which is beta 6 now by the way as I paid for the program and can install it on as many computers as I need per D/D rules. Customers tell me they like it as even a novice computer person can keep all their own drivers up to date.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!