Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Spybot - disabled cookies & javascript

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Jan-2006, 11:10 PM #1
Solved: Spybot - disabled cookies & javascript
I just upgraded from version 1.2 to 1.4 and ran the spybot program. It seems to have changed my browser settings because now when I open IE I get the message below:

Right now, your browser's settings are configured to disable cookies and/or javascript. In order to access your account, you must change your browser's settings to accept both cookies AND javascript.

How do I change my browser settings?
This depends on the browser you're using. If you are getting a message asking if you want to accept cookies, choose Yes. Otherwise, we recommend that you click the "Help" button at the top of your browser in order to learn how to properly accept cookies and javascript. (You'll most likely be able to enable these settings by locating the Security and/or Privacy tabs found within "Internet Options" in your browser's "Tools" pull-down window.)

I've tried changing my cookies setting (moved it from medium to low) but it did not help and I don't see anything for the javascript setting. Tried to go back into spybot and undo but that doesn't seem to be an option.
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

02-Jan-2006, 03:15 AM #2
This page will probably help you out if you click on it http://www.chami.com/tips/internet/020597I.html
Member with 5,662 posts.

02-Jan-2006, 06:59 AM #3
There may not be any connection between the message you are getting from that website and the upgrading of Spybot but, if there is, answers to the following questions may help to find a solution;

1. Do you have Spybot running in Advanced Mode?. To check, just click on 'Mode' wwhen Spybot is open. I can't remember whether upgrades carry over settings from previous versions or not.

2. If in Advanced Mode, click on 'Tools' then 'IE Tweaks'. Under the heading Miscellaneous Locks there are three boxes, if the second and third ones are checked uncheck them.

Now try amending the Security settings in IE and see what happens. The references to Javascript are under Tools, Internet Options, Security, Internet Zone, Custom Level, Security Settings. Be very careful about changing anything in that list of options because IE is leaky enough already! (these instructions should work for 6SP1, I don't know about earlier versions).
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 12:19 AM #4
I have followed both of your inputs, and am still receiving the below error when I attempt to go to iwon.com (which up until now was my start page). Java settings are disabled (per the link from telecom69) and I confirmed spybot ie tweaks are all unchecked. Internet privacy settings are set at low (though they always used to be on medium. Here's the error:

Right now, your browser's settings are configured to disable cookies and/or javascript. In order to access your account, you must change your browser's settings to accept both cookies AND javascript.

How do I change my browser settings?
This depends on the browser you're using. If you are getting a message asking if you want to accept cookies, choose Yes. Otherwise, we recommend that you click the "Help" button at the top of your browser in order to learn how to properly accept cookies and javascript. (You'll most likely be able to enable these settings by locating the Security and/or Privacy tabs found within "Internet Options" in your browser's "Tools" pull-down window.)
Member with 5,662 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 08:31 AM #5
It certainly looks as if something has changed your IE settings (perhaps a recent MS patch?) but I don't know why you would be unable to change them to enable javascript and cookies. As a 2K user you probably have IE6 SP2 and I don't know how that differs from my SP1 version so I can't be any more help with that. I know MS aren't allowed to market their version of java any more and I wonder if they have somehow 'turned it off' in the latest version of IE?

As a matter interest I tried Iwon with my browsers. Opera was fine with cookies allowed and using Sun Java, not the MS version. Sun didn't like the page much and gave me a lengthy error message, probably because the site is expecting IE.

Firefox, with scripting temporarily allowed, also worked OK while my ISP's browser (which is an IE clone) gave me the same error message you get. In my case the message is correct because I have just about everything disabled as part of my security measures (as a 98 user I only need IE for occasional visits to Windows Update).

Hopefully, someone else with more knowledge will be able to help you.
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

03-Jan-2006, 06:04 PM #6
I suppose it could have been from a windows update. I think I did see something done recently (I have update set to automatically download but prompt me for the install). I've been using Iwon all along with no problems, until now. I'll check what my recent updates have been later (when I get home -- just checking in for now from work so I go home armed with ideas).
Member with 5,662 posts.

04-Jan-2006, 10:16 AM #7
Subject to what you find you could, of course, try another (and some would say better) browser like Firefox or Opera.

If Iwon didn't work with a different browser that might suggest something worse was wrong which might need a HijackThis scan to diagnose.
Computer Specs
Member with 585 posts.

04-Jan-2006, 10:21 PM #8
Talking Success!!!
Aha! It wasn't from windows update.....well, actually I didn't even check that history. But, I found the problem. Somehow it got put into the Restricted site zone of IE's security. All I had to do was remove it from the restricted list and voila! Thanks.

I guess maybe I was unfairly blaming spybot. It just happened to be the last thing I had run and I may have jumped to the conclusion that it was the culprit.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!