Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Norton Internet Security 2006 LiveUpdate Problem

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Feb-2006, 12:39 AM #1
Norton Internet Security 2006 LiveUpdate Problem
I recently applied the latest NIS update patch with LiveUpdate... and now my NIS scanner can no longer count the number of files being scanned. It always displays 0 files scanned despite that I can see it's scanning and working.

This is the second time LiveUpdate screwed up my NIS. Last time the patch made my NIS freeze up Windows every time I try to modify the firewall rule.

Can anyone give me some suggestions to fix this problem? The tech support from Symantec isn't very helpful at all. They told me to do same thing when I asked them last time. Do a clean boot and check possible conflicts. But in fact that really isn't the problem at all. The problem was caused by the corrupted NIS setting made by the update patch. I had to default all NIS settings to make everything go back to normal.

I really don't want to reinstall NIS for stupid things like this.
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 9,807 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Feb-2006, 01:45 AM #2
I cant answer your problem with Norton since I long since gave up on it with all its problems etc along with so many other people using these forums over the years,if you want a very trouble free anti-virus,that is used daily by thousands worldwide and whats more its FREE, go here http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 and download this very good program,you wont be dissapointed ...
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Feb-2006, 04:07 AM #3
Thanks for the AVG-Antivirus links.

Unfortunately, I had to reinstall NIS to get the scanner to start counting the files again.

I think I am ready to try other Anti-virus now...
Computer Specs

26-Feb-2006, 04:17 AM #4
Go ahead,try AVG let me know what you think .....
Member with 5,645 posts.

26-Feb-2006, 09:01 AM #5
You might find this interesting; http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivi...a/freeav_2.htm

The main point about free versus paid programs is, presumably, that the free ones are adequate for most users in most circumstances but, if you're paranoid, (like me), you use one of the highly rated AV's like NOD32 or Kapersky (neither of which is guaranteed to protect you if you don't practise 'safe surfing').

I have no experience of any of the 'suites' but am not impressed by the concept of one program doing everything.

PS. Judging from the number of posts similar to yours, there has been, or still is, a problem with Symantec's Live Update. I used to use NAV 2003 but switched 18 months ago. I also had a corrupted update that had to be fixed by an uninstall/reinstall so this is not a new problem.
Computer Specs

27-Feb-2006, 04:22 AM #6
Thats a very good link you posted TOGG,I like that site (about) you can get advice about just anything through them ...about the anti-virus,at the end of the day its down to personal preference of course,all I know is Ive been using AVG for the last 4 or 5 years with no problems whatsoever,and if you go by the number of posts supporting it when people ask for reccomendations for an anti virus,then so do lots of other people,when I have had viruses (very rare) AVG has always found and dealt with them satisfactorily,thats why I always reccomend it .....
Member with 5,645 posts.

27-Feb-2006, 07:08 AM #7
I agree with you. Personal preference, and experience of using a program, are the most relevant factors in choosing software.

There is no way to 'prove' that any particular AV is superior, in the same way you could not prove that fitting a burglar alarm actually prevented your house from being burgled.

I understand that NOD32's heuristics enabled it to trap early versions of code intended to exploit both the WMF and Blackmail worm issues, and am happy to pay for that sort of performance.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!