Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

keyboard strokes for fractions

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 501 posts.

Experience: Beginner
12-Mar-2006, 11:56 AM #1
keyboard strokes for fractions
Hi, does anyone know how to make fractions using "alt" and then a series of numbers?
I really need some help with this, and none of my searches on google are coming up with any help. I know how to make , but need the rest. Any help out there? Thanks
Member with 35 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 01:01 PM #2
Can you give an example of what you are trying to accomplish?
Computer Specs
Member with 501 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 01:28 PM #3
Yes,
I know that by pressing Alt>0189 I get symbol. How do I get thirds, like 1/3 without pressing the number 1, then /, then 3 as I just had to do. Is there a combination of keyboard button and numbers that make 1/3, 2/3, 1/8, 1/16 ect?
Member with 35 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 01:34 PM #4
Ok, now I know what you want:

= 0185
Alt+0178
Alt+0179
=0188
= 0189
Alt+0190

I don't see any others, like 1/8.
Member with 160 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 07:22 PM #5
Laurfar, if you'll do a "Google" for ASCII you'll get many hits for charts and tables with the code for creating most anything. And don't forget that in M$ Word you can go to Insert-Symbol and find a host of special characters, including 1/3, etc.
Member with 35 posts.

12-Mar-2006, 07:34 PM #6
Sliderule did not find it appropriate to give you some links for a head start, not all of us are Google masters. Do a search for "alt-key" and you will get many hits. Do not Google "ASCII" as you will get many hits that do not apply. With Google if you are specific you will reach your target if you are not (like googling ASCII) you will go through pages and pages of info that is not helpful. Good luck:

http://www.bbsinc.com/iso8859.html

http://www.coloryourprofyle.com/phade/alt.html

http://www.britfeld.com/aboutme/alt.htm

http://www.frontpagewizard.com/use_alt_keys.asp

Hope this helps.
Member with 160 posts.

13-Mar-2006, 08:20 PM #7
Strictor, prior to entering my comments of March 12, I noticed that Laurfar was a senior member, so I opted for brevity. To quote Horace: Whatever advice you give, be brief. Furthermore, a Google for ASCII yields 1.49 million hits whereas a Google for Alt-Key yields 1.6 million. Methinks your criticism of me was a tad picayune. But, hey, I'm cool; and hope you are.
Member with 35 posts.

13-Mar-2006, 09:17 PM #8
I am cool. I personally just thought the hits to be more relevant with alt-key. No harm intended. Probaly could close this post as solved. Have a good day.
Senior Member with 357 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Mar-2006, 11:51 AM #9
Read this forum link for a fractions macro for Word

http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-...fraction+macro
Computer Specs
Member with 501 posts.

26-Mar-2006, 08:38 AM #10
Thanks for all the great info. I really appreciate the replies. I never did find anything that uses the alt symbols to create the fractions like 1/3, 2/3, 1/16, 1/8. But I have gotten a good start from all of you to keep searching. I haven't had a chance to try out the very simple solution of using the utilities in MS Word, and that will probably be my answer, since I haven't checked it out yet. It does say "Senior Member" next to my name, but I think it's just because I have been asking questions for so long. Thanks everyone.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

26-Mar-2006, 10:01 AM #11
The symbols for 1/8 and the like don't exist, that's probably you can't find them. You can do them in something like Word with the Equation Editor.
Computer Specs
Member with 501 posts.

26-Mar-2006, 10:08 AM #12
Well, there you have it. Thanks for your reply.
Member with 142 posts.

26-Mar-2006, 10:59 AM #13
Keyboard Strokes for Fractions
Dear laurfar,

Referring to sliderule's post number 5 regarding using "Symbol", you might be interested in my post in the Business Section Applications dated 22nd March headed "Word Fractions", by golferguy at the moment on page four.

I am using word 2000 and several fractions are available, quite a few in the "MS Reference 2" on the drop down menu in the Font Box.

Best Wishes,

Red Cloud
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

26-Mar-2006, 12:18 PM #14
You can find custom TT fonts with a variety of fractional symbols available, it's just dependent on what application is producing the document in question.
MNG0304 MNG0304 is offline MNG0304 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 624 posts.

26-Mar-2006, 12:56 PM #15
Here's yet another way to do this:
Quote:
Make good fractions in MS Word to impress your teachers.
Microsoft Word deals with fractions in a strange way. If you type "1/2", it changes to , but if you type "2/3", it remains 2/3. Not only is that not consistent form (which by definition is bad form), but the poor neglected fractions look unprofessional. The solution isn't straightforward, but there is a simple way to get around this problem.

First, go to Tools and then AutoCorrect. Select the AutoFormat tab. Now uncheck "Fractions 1/2 with Fraction character ." This will stop Word from changing the format of some fractions and not others.
Full article
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!