Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Norton Antivirus Live Update Error

(!)

Member with 37 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Mar-2006, 09:09 PM #1
Solved: Norton Antivirus Live Update Error
I have Norton AntiVirus 2004 and Norton Internet Security 2004. When running Live Update recently, I received an error that will not allow me to update my virus definitions. The error reads as follows:

The following updates have been aborted:
> Norton AntiVirus Virus Definitions has 1 aborted update(s).
Reason:
LU1875: This update failed during its preprocessing welcome text phase

Could someone please help me with this? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!!
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

25-Mar-2006, 09:34 PM #2
AVG or Avast! update just fine, and they're free. I've dumped all the Norton stuff here, got tired of dealing with their bugs and crashes.
Member with 37 posts.

25-Mar-2006, 09:38 PM #3
Follow Up
Should I just disable Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security, or both? Should I remove these programs or just disable them?

Thanks!!
Computer Specs

25-Mar-2006, 09:44 PM #4
Well, I dumped them alltogether. NIS was a real bad actor, I've had two clients that had problems that could only be resolved by totally removing NIS from their machines.
Mike46 Mike46 is offline Mike46 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 231 posts.

25-Mar-2006, 10:34 PM #5
Cool Norton
Norton Internet Security 2004 was one of the worst products they ever put out, I do like Norton I use it on all 3 of my computers. I purchased Norton 2006 just the anti virus and have nothing but good things to say about it, they added some good features to this version including some anti spyware. Don't waste your money on the system works version or the Internet security version. If you are going to dump Norton 2004 remove it from your computer and reboot. Good Luck

If you really want a free anti virus program I have used this in the past and had good luck with it.

AntiVirŪ PersonalEdition Classic
for Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP
Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris

http://www.free-av.com/
Member with 37 posts.

26-Mar-2006, 07:48 PM #6
In order to totally remove all of my Norton programs, should I just go to contol panel, add/remove programs and do it that way?
Computer Specs

26-Mar-2006, 09:22 PM #7
That's the first step, if that doesn't work, Symantec has "removal programs" to attempt to finish the task. The fact that they need "removal programs" for this task should tell you something.
Computer Specs
Member with 52 posts.

27-Mar-2006, 10:46 AM #8
i have the same liveupdate problems so i went and got the NAV2006 removal program and i removed it. i never even thought about using it again.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Mar-2006, 02:22 AM #9
LU1875 error
Hi,

It could be the Trojan.Abwiz.F.

Go to the symantec site (www.symantec.com). At the top right hand side part, you will find the Search box that says "Search all of Symantec"..and type "LU1875" without the quotes. Click on the result found and follow instructions.

Sam.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: formerly hot
28-Mar-2006, 07:19 PM #10
wasted time
I started getting this error on March 6, 2006. I did a google search on LU1875 and found a Symantec page indicating that the cause was the presence of a trojan on my machine. I downloaded the Trojan.Abwiz Removal Tool and ran it as directed. The Removal Tool came back with the answer that Trojan.Abwiz was NOT found on my C:\ drive. Live Update still fails with LU1875.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: formerly hot
28-Mar-2006, 07:37 PM #11
Success
A bold alternative: Some more digging led me to this option to Live Update, manually loading the latest virus dat file.
Follow the instructions for Intelligent Updater:
At http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...ExpandSection=1
It worked.
Now on to the endless virus scan.
Senior Member with 96 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Mar-2006, 12:45 AM #12
Yes,

Symantec gives you three options to try.

Option 1
You may see the LU1875 error message if your computer is infected by the Trojan.Abwiz.F threat. Download this and run it. If this doesn't work, try option 2.

Option 2
Automatically download virus definitions with the Intelligent Updater. According to Symantec, you can only run this tool using Internet Explorer so you will have to quit using Firefox and bring the IE browser out of retirement for a moment. Click here and follow instructions.

Option 3
Manually download virus definitions with the Intelligent Updater. Click here and follow instructions.

Goodluck.
Junior Member with 7 posts.

30-Mar-2006, 01:07 AM #13
I also ran the trojan tool and it did NOT find anything. I then manually updated the definitions, and although my definitions are now up to date - live update is STILL returning the LU1875 error.

I have Norton Internet Security that expires in May and I'm looking for an alternative but wonder if there really is a trojan that is not being found. I've run webroot window washer 5, Spybot, and have just installed the free Avast anti-virus program. If I stay with avast and uninstall Norton I'll still need a firewall. Any ideas on a good firewall program? Thanks!
Mike46 Mike46 is offline Mike46 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 231 posts.

30-Mar-2006, 01:19 AM #14
Cool Stuff To Try
Ewido - Trojan scanner and more http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

Free Anti Virus Program - http://www.free-av.com/
Junior Member with 1 posts.

31-Mar-2006, 09:36 AM #15
LU1875 is a scam!!!!
This is all so familliar. The stories are all the same no infection, but update errors every time. Removal doesnt work, manual update, does but what a hastle. What is really going on here is that Semantec wants your $$$$$ for an upgrade. Yeah, that is the sad but true story. Do the research, no one have this virus, no one can remove what isnt there, the only solution after you try all the suggested ones, is to upgrade because 2004 is not supported. WHY STAY WITH THIS PRODUCT? This is completley underhanded marketing and needs to be exposed for what it really is. Please get the word out on this.
Jimmie T.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!