Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't Uninstall Quicktime

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Apr-2006, 06:44 AM #1
Thumbs down Can't Uninstall Quicktime
I have given up on ever being able to use quicktime again, can't install it and will not let me uninstall it. At this point I just want it off my system I don't want anything to do with apple. Quicktime shows in my add/remove programs, but everytime I click on it it does nothing. When I try to install the stand alone version, it comes up and ask do you want to completely remove this program, I click ok and it gives me an error 1605 and exits. Any suggestions on how to get this program off my computer.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,529 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Apr-2006, 06:30 PM #2
Have you tried using Windows Explorer to find the QuikTime folder and deleting it? That gets rid of the majority of the program. To rid your system of leftover fragments of the program, use a utility like VCOM's SystemSuite 6 or Norton SystemWorks to scan both the system and the registry for invalid entries (which they become after you delete the folder). That should rid your system of QT.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,415 posts.

23-Apr-2006, 09:02 PM #3
1. Go to C:\Program Files, then delete the entire QuickTime folder.

2. Click Start - Find/Search - All Files And Folders, select the hard drive ( C: ) to look in, type in QuickTime, then click Find/Search. when the list of files appear, right-click on and delete all the ones that you confirm are associated with QuickTime.

3. Click Start - Run, type in REGEDIT, then click OK. Click the + in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software

In the Software sub-menu, right-click directly on the Apple Computer entry, then click Delete - Yes.

(Note: If you click the + in the "Apple Computer" entry, you'll see "QuickTime" listed there)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flavallee; 23-Apr-2006 at 09:08 PM..
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 11 posts.

25-Apr-2006, 12:54 AM #4
I tried all those things above, still not gone. Quicktime still shows up in the add/remove programs and still not able to reinstall. I even tried to install the quicktime alternative which seemed to install fine but still would not allow me view quicktime movies. I appreciate your help.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

25-Apr-2006, 06:35 AM #5
To remove the QuickTime entry from Add/Remove Programs is very simple.

Go back into the registry and click the + in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Uninstall

Start at the top of the Uninstall list and click on each sub-folder and look at the entries in the right pane. When you find the sub-folder for QuickTime, right-click it and delete it. The QuickTime entry will possibly be listed more than once in the Uninstall list, so keep going until you get to the bottom of the list.

Close the registry editor. The QuickTime entry should now be gone from Add/Remove Programs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Senior Member with 467 posts.

25-Apr-2006, 08:16 AM #6
Try also using CCleaner. It helps delete programs that cannot be deleted trough Add\Remove programs option
Computer Specs

25-Apr-2006, 08:43 AM #7
That'll work too. Open CCleaner, then click "Tools". You can then delete or rename any of the Add/Remove Programs entries listed there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-Apr-2006, 02:02 PM #8
I had the same problem. Couldn't get rid of it. I did what you said and it's gone. Thanks.
Member with 3,497 posts.

26-Apr-2006, 02:18 PM #9
Slaux7, I hope you don't mind my tagging a question onto your query but it has to do with this topic. I have Windows ME and Quick Time came with the sytem. Every time I've tried to delete Quick Time it gives me a warning about deleting information that my system needs. I have never used Quick Time but the warning has always scared me away. Can my system do without Quick Time?
Computer Specs

26-Apr-2006, 03:16 PM #10
Your computer can do without QuickTime, unless you visit a site and try to view a video clip that requires it.

It's good to have certain multimedia programs, such as Apple QuickTime, Macromedia Flash, Windows Media Player, and Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Member with 3,497 posts.

26-Apr-2006, 03:28 PM #11
Thanks for the response, Flavallee. I have Windows Media Player but I prefer to use Nero.
Computer Specs

26-Apr-2006, 03:36 PM #12
The only thing that I've ever used Nero Burning ROM 6.6 for is for burning CD's. I no longer use it and now use Sonic RecordNow Deluxe 7.3 because it's simpler and seems to work better for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 7 posts.

26-Apr-2006, 04:40 PM #13
I,m sure Flavallee can help more than I can. I just saw a solution he posted to someone elses question on how to uninstall Quick time. I tried it and it worked for me.
Computer Specs

26-Apr-2006, 10:23 PM #14
Canelle:

If you have that information handy, can you copy-and-paste it here for him/her? It'll save me a lot of writing, and I still have several thread replies to respond to.

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

27-Apr-2006, 07:25 AM #15
Removing QuickTime
Well, I tried all the above suggestions to get rid of a defective QuickTime installation and failed miserably to clean out everything - ended up with CCleaner giving me an error message "Cannot delete MSI Installer"

I fixed this by installing the Microsoft "Windows Installer CleanUp Utility" - downloadable from http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290301

This cleaned out the last dregs of the original defective installation and I have now installed "QuickTime Alternative" (which works a treat with Firefox) instead of having another crisis with the Apple QuickTime downloaded software.

QuickTime Alternative available from http://www.free-codecs.com/QuickTime...e_download.htm

Hope this might help someone.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!