Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Mcafee,resource hog?

(!)

Member with 39 posts.

03-Jun-2006, 11:01 AM #1
Mcafee,resource hog?
Hi there, i had use mcafee personal firewall plus and virusscan version 10 for 1 year and had no problems about it. However, recently i had been surfing information regarding which anti-virus and firewall is better. And from what i heard, zone alarm pro and NOD32 seems to be the better one. Being greedy, i download their trial version and seems no problem, except i felt very very much secure. I heard that zonealarm pro does nerf p2p programs speed. My mcafee subscription expired soon, im thinking to continue it or change it to zonealarm pro+nod32. Being 1 year with mcafee, i hardly encounter any virus, probably some small spyware that doesn't hurt much.

But most importantly, my problem with mcafee is, it seems a resource hog, and that is what everyone said. When using mcafee, it use up 64% of my ram while nod32 and zonealarm use up about 61% of my ram. To those who are more experience, which product is much resource hog and better? I used to use zonealarm free version 2 years ago, and doesn't like it much. I know most of you there are more of a mcafee hater, but im happy with what it's job done. But i should grab better things right?so my question is,

1.does zonealarm pro nerf p2p programs
2.which product are more effective?
3.Which are more resource hog, mcafee firewall plus+antivirus or Nod32+zonealarm pro?
4. Correct me if im wrong, Resource=Ram
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 106,412 posts.

03-Jun-2006, 11:26 AM #2
Well, we don't assist with P2P questions, please read the TSG Rules. Personally, I've been using AVG and Avast! free AV for some time now, they've worked well. No reason I can see to buy the cow when the milk comes free. For most folks, the free ZA firewall will be sufficient as well.
Member with 39 posts.

04-Jun-2006, 12:45 AM #3
okay, i'll leave out the p2p question, so is mcafee firewall plus+virusscan or zonealarm pro+ nod32 more resource hog?
Member with 3,896 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Jun-2006, 10:13 AM #4
mcafee
yes it is a resource hog ,i have run norton ,mcafee panda and now avg . i won't go back. you can get zone alarm free for your firewall.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,246 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jun-2006, 02:16 PM #5
McAfee and Symantec Norton are BOTH resource hogs.

Why buy an antivirus program(especially one that can be problematic) when there some good free ones out there?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor - Gone but never forgotten with 8,684 posts.

04-Jun-2006, 04:04 PM #6
I can't speak for McAfee, but Norton is NOT a resource hog.

This is bad press that continues to be rampant on the net. My take on it, is that people are installing the Antivirus as part of SystemWorks (which is a pig if not carefully weaned), and then are generalizing about the results.

I have run Norton for a multitude of years starting on a P2-233, 64MB box, and have never viewed the antivirus portion as being a "resource hog", either from the Win98 "resources" view nor from the general "resources" view.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,246 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Jun-2006, 09:59 PM #7
I didn't make myself clear enough. I was referring to Symantec Norton SystemWorks.

Both the McAfee and Symantec Norton suites are memory "pigs".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 39 posts.

05-Jun-2006, 10:18 AM #8
The reason i don't like free ones is because, i don't like zonealarm free version much, spywares and virus still get to come. I heard people saying mcafree sucks,but i hardly infected a virus since i installed it. But i admit that it slow down my pc, thats why i hesitate to continue my subscribtion. I don't like avast and avg too, the virus i infected i can't remove them. But i have to say that mcafee virus scan wasn't that good, it can detect, but not remove, i just pleased with the firewall.

Norton is no no, i got norton 2005 for 2 months which comes from my purchase of my router, it doesn't remove the virus/worm, nor detect most of them and it's really expensive.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!