Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

ViewSonic VA2012wb 'out of range'

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
07-Jun-2006, 10:30 AM #1
Question ViewSonic VA2012wb 'out of range'
I have a custom build system that has performed flawlessly since I built it about 15 months ago. I just purchased from Costco, a ViewSonic VA2012wb LCD and it is able to do everything (MSOffice, Internet, etc.) except run my games (Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, etc). Call of Duty upon launch, causes a black screen with 'out of range' complete with system hang - requiring reboot. MOHAA attempts to launch, but fails with the message 'GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem'. All ran fine with my old 17" CRT.
My config is:
Custom Build - P4 3.00GHz PC3200 DDR-1.0GB RAM XP Pro SP2
128MB ATI All-in-Wonder 9600
ViewSonic VA2012wb LCD (used in analog mode) 1680x1050 60Hz(defaults)
HP CD-Writer+ 9100 / SONY DRU 720A DVD RW
WD80GB / WD120GB / APC UPS
DirectX 9.0
I have looked for updates and patches to address the errors at the sites of ATI, ViewSonic, and Windows Updates, with no relief.
I hope someone is familiar with this and can offer a hand.
Thanks - LB
Member with 2 posts.

07-Jun-2006, 03:05 PM #2
Sounds more like a driver issue. Should try and get the newest graphic card drivers.
Member with 17,584 posts.

08-Jun-2006, 12:34 AM #3
The "out of range" indicates that the refresh rate used by the games is too high for the LCD.

Refresh rate has no real meaning for LCD, they do not need to be refreshed as a CRT does, and will blank with that warning if it goes over their maximum (usually about 72 HZ, I run mine at 60 hZ.)
Member with 2 posts.

08-Jun-2006, 06:57 AM #4
Thats good to know i dont use a LCD so with that error i was thinking a driver problem. Thank you.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Jun-2006, 07:47 AM #5
Thanks Kiwi & JCC, I appreciate your input. I suspected Drivers at first and even subscribed to driveragent.com that gave me the ability to scan for latest driver updates which seemed great at first, but after trying all available signed/unsigned ViewSonic drivers, the Agent still flags my monitor a failure for correct driver (and the drivers come from the ViewSonic site). So being more than a little frustrated from wasting the bulk of the last 48 hours wrestling with this problem, I am tempted to return the monitor - my life was so much more peaceful with the old tried-and-true CRT haahahahaha.
As for the refresh rate, I looked into that KIWI and the only refresh rate supported by this monitor is 60 Hertz. Under advanced settings I did remove the limitation and actually tried to increase it to higher rates, and the games continued to 'out of range' with system hang, although the monitor appeared normal prior to that.
Side note, I was looking on the box that my 128MB ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 came in, (Packrat who saves everything-just in case) and it specifies about a dozen 'Display Modes' from 640x480 up to 2048x1536, but does not specifically list 1680x1050, which is the native resolution for this monitor. I hate to lose the widescreen format, but will change to one of the standards and see if this gives any relief and will repost the results. Wish me luck and again - much appreciation for your input.
LB
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!