Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: "____ has encountered a problem...."

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jul-2006, 12:16 AM #1
Question Solved: "____ has encountered a problem...."
Off and on all day long today I have been getting these errors, mostly for Outlook Express, but I have also recieved some for Yahoo Messenger today as well. No other program has brought these up yet....

Completely out of the blue, I get these messages, and they started sometime today. I do not recall them happening yesterday, and I never did get any of these little errors since I first installed Win XP 2 weeks ago.

The first part of the error is below:
-------------------------
Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

For more information about this error, 'click here'
--------------------------
The "more information" about the error is below:
--------------------------
Error signature ---------------------
AppName: msimn.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: sliplsp.dll
Mod Ver: 5.0.0.0 Offset: 000012a2
----------------------------------

There is further tech. details about the error, however it will not allow me to copy and paste and there is no way I can type all of that out by hand. A txt file was also referenced in the tech. details, however I ran a search and even went to check the exact location but that file does not exist. As best I remember, I was not getting these errors yesterday, during the day for sure. I believe the Yahoo Messenger one might have came up a few times last night though.

There have been no major changes to the computer. No new software has been installed. I did get 2 security updates from the Windows site today, however the errors were showing up before the updates were even downloaded.

Any ideas what is going on here and how I can fix it? I do a lot of work on my system and I cannot afford to have these errors start popping up and forcing me to loose all of my work. I already had to deal with that for the last year, thanks to hardware issue which has been fixed. Any help is very much appreciated!

I was hoping the computer was finally all fixed and problem free too Other than minor software problems there have been no errors or problems like this since I got everything going again...
Member with 17,584 posts.

24-Jul-2006, 01:16 AM #2
The faulting application mentioned (sliplsp.dll) appears to be related to an "internet accellerator" type application, perhaps part of the setup for your ISP.

That could also explain why you only get them for internet connected applications.

Do you use dial-up as a connection, and do you have some internet accelleration software installed to help load some sites a little faster?

You comment "I cannot afford to have these errors start popping up and forcing me to loose all of my work" is of concern, as you should backup all your important work daily to an external media. Computer hard drives are not that reliable, regretably.
Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

24-Jul-2006, 01:29 AM #3
I recieved a similar error shortly after I posted this as well for another program. I believe it does have a feature that allows it to connect to the internet to check for updates or to post data, however those features are disabled.

Yes, I'm stuck with a 24k dial up connection. I have been using an accelerator through my ISP for the last several years, but it has never been an issue before. My accelerator should not be causing any problems with those programs however. I have it set so it will not accelerate my POP3 emails downloading, and Yahoo Messenger is set to bypass the proxy used for the accelerator so it connects directly through the internet.

I do keep backups of my files, however if an error like that pops up while I'm working on something, it won't allow me to save any changes since my last save and I will loose all recent changes.

24-Jul-2006, 02:08 AM #4
The chances are higher that the internet accellerator software is corrupt, it will still be loaded even though its not necessarily active. Uninstalling it completely is where I would start.

There is also a possibility that some trojan, spyware, virus etc is causing the issue. But one assumes that you have scanned for those.
Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

24-Jul-2006, 02:17 AM #5
Yes, I have already ran spyware scans and virus scans and nothing has came up. I also ran a scandisk earlier today.

I also have already completely uninstalled my accelerator, redownloaded from the website and did a clean install. I still recieved my last error from Outlook after that clean install though.

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I have been using this accelerator for years now, and not a single problem has came up that caused issues with my other internet related software. This just started today, as well. Things have been running absolutely perfect for the last 2 weeks now with all of my software installed.

24-Jul-2006, 02:35 AM #6
But you can never assume that a recent Windows Update or an update of your Antivirus program will not have "broken" something.

My intent above was for you to uninstall and not reinstall the offending accellerator application. If it is incompatable with other applications (probably as a result of an update to those applications) then its of no use. *Slightly slower* browsing vs an unstable computer would give me an easy choice.
Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

24-Jul-2006, 02:45 AM #7
My problem with uninstalling the accelerator though, is that I cannot use the internet at all for most of my work if it's not there. Without the program running, everything times out constantly and I am literally unable to load anything. Email and Messengers would be the only things that would work.
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 6,782 posts.

24-Jul-2006, 04:54 AM #8
Check to see if your browser (what is it?) has a setting for direct connection to the Internet, by-passing a "proxy." My "SeaMonkey" has this feature, and it comes in handy when my accelerator progam goes down.
{redoak}
Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

25-Jul-2006, 12:22 AM #9
Both of my browsers will let me bypass the proxy, however, like I mentioned, without the accelerator program running with the browsers, I cannot browse anything. The pages will time out before they can usually even start to load My connection is to slow to load all of these large pages now days -_- Rather than allowing the browsers to bypass the proxy, I can just stop my accelerator, or close it completely. I use Firefox mostly, but IE for certain things I cannot do in Firefox.

Everything ran just fine today. There was not a single error for any of the programs and my accelerator was not bringing up the error it was giving me yesterday off and on. Could those errors I was getting have been caused by the problems with my accelerator yesterday? I will keep an eye out for the rest of tonight as well as tomorrow morning and tomorrow night for any further errors coming up. Everything seems to be back to running just fine today though...

I will post back if the problems start up again tonight or tomorrow...
Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

27-Jul-2006, 02:53 AM #10
It seems that those problems were caused because of my accelerator having some problems during that time. I have yet to see another error message since those issues. I will keep an eye out on things and will be sure and check the tech. details again should one pop up.

Thanks everybody!
Computer Specs
Member with 187 posts.

01-Aug-2006, 11:34 PM #11
I didn't see a way to remove the "Solved" marking on this topic, so I am hoping somebody will check this. I wanted to post here since I am having another similar problem....

Completely out of the blue, Outlook Express brought up an error a few minutes ago and it forced me to shut it down... The error info I recieved is below:
-----------------------
AppName: msimn.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180
OffSet: 00018fea
------------------------------
When I clicked on the Tech Details, it brought up a large list of random numbers that I am unable to select to copy and paste, and it's far to long to try and write down. It also said there was a file that would be included in the report, however that file does not exist on my computer so I was unable to check it.

Is there a way to fix these problems up so Outlook will not shut down on me often like this?
Computer Specs
Member with 66 posts.

06-Apr-2007, 05:28 PM #12
I have the same problem, just started happening a couple of days ago. "Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close." Pressing on details gives offset 00010f29 ntdll.dll which does not seem to be a dll even mentioned in the help about for Outlook Express 6.

The problem seems to be intermittent. I vaguely remember having a similar issue on my old PC and I can't remember how I fixed it, but seemed like I saw a post somewhere and it was not very hard. ... might have had something to do if sending when Outlook is automatically sending or receiving ... not sure.

For now, I'm trying to remember to highlight and control+C the outgoing message so I don't have to retype the message, but eventually, I'll have to stop using Outlook unless a solution can be found.
Senior Member with 720 posts.

Experience: A+ and a little more
06-Apr-2007, 08:26 PM #13
I remember having a similar problem ( Outlook Express has encountered a problem and needs to close.) a long time ago . I cant say if the cause of the problem was the same - I didnt even use Outlook Express but it was preinstalled on my machine yet the errors occurred without my even opening the app . I just uninstalled it and the issue was resolved ( I was using Incredimail as my mail client , btw) .
Computer Specs
Member with 5,138 posts.

07-Apr-2007, 08:57 PM #14
You might want to uninstall and then reinstall outlook express and see if that helps.
Computer Specs
Member with 66 posts.

10-Apr-2007, 08:36 PM #15
Darn - no problem from the 6th to the 9th and now happened again. Most of the email was visible on the "hung" screen, so I took the time to retype what I could see into a notepad document <sigh>

Problem happens when sending an email - wish I had remembered to copy off before sending, but hard to do that when the problem can go for several days before sending. Does seem to effect emails that took a while to type more than short emails (of course <sigh>).

Just how would I go about uninstalling Outlook Express 6 and reinstalling? The Compaq PC (new in January) did not even come with a windows disk. This may be enough to drive me to an email client that is not tied in with the operating system.

I have not "upgraded" to I.E. 7 - wonder if that would help? or is I.E. unrelated to Outlook Express?

Anyone else having this issue now?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!