Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

All Other Software All Other Software
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Monitor screen turning yellow?

(!)

Member with 184 posts.

06-Sep-2006, 09:36 PM #1
Monitor screen turning yellow?
I have a Samsung monitor, which I've had for about 3 years now. Recently I've noticed the screen loosing quality, with tinges of blue overlapping the image. I've recently moved into a new place, and suddenly the screen is yellowish tinge. I've played with the wires, and the metal needles in the hookup don't look damaged or anything. Could it be a settings issue? Any possible solutions to this problem?
Senior Member with 1,993 posts.

07-Sep-2006, 07:32 AM #2
CRT screen? Check the cables VGA & power are connected properly - disconnect and clean the pins). It could also be failing due to old age, but 3 years is not that old!

It could also be one of the electron guns is out of alignment or failing - if you have the option to add more blue via the monitor settings (or maybe the graphics card) do so.

Last edited by lister; 07-Sep-2006 at 09:14 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,587 posts.

07-Sep-2006, 07:56 AM #3
check the pins and see if there is one bent and touching another pin - i had a similar issue on a friends Pc and the pin was bent - but still plugged in OK
Member with 184 posts.

10-Sep-2006, 10:30 PM #4
I've been doing some checking around and found this:

http://www.techenclave.com/forums/he...low-59687.html

He had the same problem and solved it by moving his monitor to another room, away from a magnetic field. But what's a common thing that could be causing a magnetic field?
Member with 17,584 posts.

11-Sep-2006, 01:29 AM #5
For a colour purity issue, look for things with permanent magnets in them (such as speakers).

AC devices with transformers in them can cause picture "shake" but not the symptoms that you describe.

Remember that if you have moved it relative to the earths own magnetic field, then degaussing may also be needed.

Monitors do an automatic degauss if powered OFF (not in standby) for at least 10 minutes, then powered on.

Otherwise it could be an electronic fault in the color section of the monitor, but you need to try it on another PC first to eliminate the PC video as a cause.
Member with 184 posts.

11-Sep-2006, 07:49 AM #6
It turns out the field is from my stereo speaker, which was placed right beside the monitor. I've moved the speaker, however the problem is still occuring. I tried degausing and it doesn't do anything, but what did you mean by automatic degausing? Should I just turn my monitor off for a while and see if the problem fixes itself now that the magnetic field is removed? Thanks.
Member with 184 posts.

11-Sep-2006, 02:00 PM #7
The screen temporarily stopped having a yellow cast over it after I unplugged and replugged it in. However, it soon returned just a couple seconds after. I've checked the pins a dozen times and they all look fine. I don't know what to do.

11-Sep-2006, 07:35 PM #8
Whenever the monitor has totally "cooled down" and is repowered, a degauss occurs.

Its a relatively low level one, but successive cold starts should correct and magnetic impurity effects.

But as it is OK new when powered on, but then reverts, it sounds more like a failing electron gun or drive electronics.
Member with 184 posts.

11-Sep-2006, 07:40 PM #9
What are my options then?

11-Sep-2006, 09:06 PM #10
New monitor if its a hardware issue in the monitor. Usually cheaper than repair.

But try it on another PC first.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!